How can I copyright/protect my mods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can I copyright/protect my mods?

How can I copyright/protect my mods that I publish to the internet for download? I don't want anybody taking my ideas, plus I am going to be a game designer. I am thinking about making a website with adobe dreamweaver.

What can copyrighted:
    - The unrealscript code you write. Practically this really depends on the complexity of what you do, because if you do something simple like replace weapons, everyone does that in pretty much the same way. Hardly anything copyrightable there as there's only one way to do that;
    - map layout;
    - storyline, if there's any;
    - custom assets;

Now, the most interesting part for any mod, ideas:
    Ideas are ideas. They can not be copyrighted or patented. If you make a mod using some idea, you let the bird out of the cage - anyone can do the same. Hence why there so much farm managers out there - different names, different art, yet pretty much the same gameplay because the thing is popular, idea is out there and all you need is to write the code and make an art. The only thing you can protect is how this idea is implemented and this can be done only with a patent, which costs a lot and takes quite a time to obtain.

Comment

I am going to make a website. My mods are pretty complex and have alot of coding/programming. Would a mod that replaces all weapons with complete different weapons(3d model, what it does, everything is different), be copyrighted?

I am planning on making plenty of very complex mods including maps.

How do I tell/label that it is copyright to me? How/Who do I report if someone actually steals my ideas without permissions or I said no?

Comment

Wasn't it so that anything you make for Unreal Tournament automatically belongs to epic games ?

Comment

No. (Where the hell does that stupid idea even come from?)

If you want the full storry, read the UT3 EULA.

The interesting part is this:
          18. Editor and End‑User Mods.
          1. The Software includes an editor and associated tools and utilities (the "UnrealEd"). UnrealEd is a really cool feature which allows you to modify the Software or to construct new variations for use with it. These modifications and variations can be both playable and non playable. UnrealEd is NOT shareware. You may not freely distribute it to any BBS, CD, floppy or any other media. You may not sell it or repackage it for sale.
          2. Using a licensed copy of UnrealEd, you may create modifications or enhancements to the Software, including the construction of new levels as well as computer-generated linear story animations or other forms of emergent gameplay (sometimes called Machinima), (collectively referred to as "Mods"), subject to the following restrictions:
            1. Your Mods must:
              1. only work with the full, registered copy of the Software, not independently or with any other software, or
              2. If Machinima, only be recorded to film/file for replay/reproduction. Machinima Mods must display the "Powered By Unreal Technology" logo as a watermark in one of the lower corners of the screen at startup for a minimum of 10 seconds and carry the legal text: POWERED BY UNREAL TECHNOLOGY logo is a trademark of Epic Games, Inc. The logo file is found at http://udn.epicgames.com/Main/TrademarksAndLogos.html.
            2. Your Mods must not contain modifications to any executable file(s).
            3. Your Mods must not contain any libelous, defamatory, or other illegal material, material that is scandalous or invades the rights of privacy or publicity of any third party, nor may your Mods contain, or be used in conjunction with, any trademarks, copyright protected work, or other recognizable property of third parties, nor may your Mods be used by you, or anyone else, for any commercial exploitation including, but not limited to: (a) advertising or marketing for a company, product or service.
            4. Your Mods shall not be supported by Midway, Epic or any of Epic or its publishers' affiliates and subsidiaries, and your Mods must include a statement to such effect.
            5. Your Mods must be distributed solely for free, period. Neither you, nor any other person or party, may sell them to anyone, commercially exploit them in any way, or charge anyone for receiving or using them without prior written consent from Epic Games Inc. You may, exchange them at no charge among other end users and distribute them to others over the Internet, on magazine cover disks, or otherwise for free.
            6. The prohibitions and restrictions in this section apply to anyone in possession of the Software or any of your Mods.
          3. We just LOVE the idea of you using and distributing content or script from any prior Unreal branded game developed by Epic in your Mod. Therefore we grant you a license to use content from any prior Epic Games UnrealĀ® game in your Mods. For the sake of clarity Epic retains all copyrights and you will not gain any ownership whatsoever in any Epic content or script nor can you use any Epic content or script outside the scope of the rights granted here. Any attempt to do so will bring about the wrath of our attorneys.
          There's no mention of your creations becoming their property.
          In other words: theirs stays theirs and yours stays yours. (If you are under contract with a company, that part may be different, e.g. with a clause that makes anything you create become property of the company you work for.)

[edit]
          Generally you are on your own if someone "steals" your ideas, code, etc. You can only try applying the power of the legal system, but that's quite a pointless idea to do for something you hand our for free anyway. The other option is publicly shaming the offender by making him known on frequented forums like this one.
          Actively protecting your creations is not really possible. Deal with it. Whatever it is that you created, you are releasing it for free, so it can't be that precious.

Comment

Just make your mod, put it on your website giving yourself credit, post it to the forums under your name, and that's about all you get. If someone else tries to claim credit for it, it'll be obvious that you posted it first.

It's not like you can sell your mod for a profit, anyway.

Besides, I'm sure your work takes examples from others... you didn't develop your mod in a total vacuum, so why do you want to be selfish and say no one can use any of your ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by DW>Fry View Post
              Just make your mod, put it on your website giving yourself credit, post it to the forums under your name, and that's about all you get. If someone else tries to claim credit for it, it'll be obvious that you posted it first.

It's not like you can sell your mod for a profit, anyway.

Besides, I'm sure your work takes examples from others... you didn't develop your mod in a total vacuum, so why do you want to be selfish and say no one can use any of your ideas?
              Well I just don't want people taking my ideas. But of course they can make a mod for example:
              I am currently making a weapon pack that replaces all weapons, health pickups, and other pickups too. Sure everyone else can make a mod that does the same thing but does NOT take my ideas of the weapons...

I know I am not selling them for a profit anyway. It just that I am going to be a game designer when I am older.

Comment

That's all you can do basically mate , in a world of games where editors are made available to the customer you simply can't expect people not to copy or use your ideas.

You either do what you do because you enjoy doing it or spend your time worrying about someone using your ideas and at worst get turned off what you enjoy doing.

I confused myself I think lol

Mal-

Comment

Working...
                X