X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UT3 Linux

It's almost 3 years since the "planned released day" of the linux client
    the last update we heard from epic was March 2009
    so, is the linux (and mac) version still being developed?

Originally posted by icecone View Post
    It's almost 3 years since the "planned released day" of the linux client
    the last update we heard from epic was March 2009
    so, is the linux (and mac) version still being developed?
    No.

10chars

Comment

Don't think so.Epic doesn't work on UT3 anymore.At least i think so.

Comment

I'm suprised this hasn't gotten locked or removed yet.

Comment

Wow I haven't seen one of these threads in a while. I think the horse is dead. You can probably stop flogging it now.

Comment

Didn't Ryan Gordon say that funding stopped, so he did? Just a shame, that it's probably laying 90% complete or whatever, somewhere.

Comment

If 90% of it is complete then he should hand it off to the community and let us finish it (we have alot of talented programmers on here I'm sure they can make a linux client).

Comment

Epic said the UT3 linux would come out as an update to the Windows version
                so can we get a refund?

Comment

I think at this point that final 10% may not seem worth it to Epic because they don't know if the target market is big enough.

Comment

It was a mistake for anyone to wait to start playing. I would have prefered to play UT3 on Linux myself, but knowing what happened in UT2K4 when you start playing 6 months after everyone else, I just bit the bullet and pulled XP out of my ****. The learning curve on UT is quite steep. If you miss the start you may never catch up.

Right after the Demo game release it became obvious there would be a problem with the port when there was a delay with the linux dedicated server release. Then a few months later the problem with the Linux client was leaked (middle ware code of some sort that had no "realistic" work around for the client, microsoft .NET or something?

Comment

would be nice to get more support for linux from the gaming communities eh.

Comment

is it official that it has stopped porting it to Linux and OSX?

Comment

Bump. Until it's done I'll be boycotting all of the new Epic games. It's outrageous that it's still not out yet.
                          *launches QL which does work on linux*

Comment

Originally posted by kaotrix View Post
                            If 90% of it is complete then he should hand it off to the community and let us finish it (we have alot of talented programmers on here I'm sure they can make a linux client).
                            No. For that they will need to release the source code to public instead of just Gordon and game companies don't like doing that for their current engines.

Comment

It's kind of silly to say there isn't enough Linux market to justify finishing the last 10% of the work needed to finish the Linux client. There are a million games for Windows... whoever releases a working Linux version of a current generation game is going to get all the market share.

Coming from the clan that operates the #1, #2, and #3 ranked UT2004 servers (Spam Vikings Onslaught and Monster Mash 1&2 Invasion respectively), and personally developing and operating the only heavily modded UT3 server in the top 20 (Monster Mash 3 Invasion)... I've personally spent thousands of hours developing and working on Unreal Technology, with many times that amount including my clan mates.

What makes your games enjoyable, and keeps the replay value practically unlimited are the tools you provide to the community to make the thousands of mods, maps, etc. that are available. While UT3 is an amazing game and engine, you've obviously shifted focus to consoles (where NOBODY is contributing anything back), given us a frustratingly buggy editor and not provided updates despite having already developed a better editor with UDK, and now have thumbed your nose at Linux users by not delivering the Linux client you've promised us customers (your forum posts would still lead us to believe you're going to deliver on that promise, but I'm not holding my breath.)

All that aside, UT3 is a great game, it is what it is, I just hope that in development of the next eagerly awaited installment of the Unreal Tournament series, you'll maybe plan ahead for these issues instead of disappointing players and developers alike by making promises to fix things down the road and not delivering.

Thanks for reading.

- Fry
                              Death Warrant
                              clandw.org

P.S. Please slap in Invasion of some sort in the next release. Considering it's popularity, the extra few years it's taken the community to get it working right was a setback for all involved, yourselves included.

Comment

Working...
                              X