Q6600 vs i7 920 in UT3 performance results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Great info, I'd try and get a new video card though. I heard from a lot of places that that board/setup really opens up newer cards than what you own, like, a lot.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I play @ 1152x864 100Hz, v-sync off

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Piglet View Post
    Players with 200+ ping will be at a distinct disadvantage.
    I fixed it for you.

Have no problems with my aim on my 30" at 2560x1600 with 60hz thank you very much!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    My monitor runs at 60 Hz and is a very noticable difference mostly because the minimum framerate went from 35 up to 55 FPS. The game just runs smooth now, no lag or hitches in the screen. Before on Deck on lower level when entering the portal I would have real bad frame drops and lag, now I don't.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Benfica View Post
    Even with a 60Hz monitor, you should try to buy a better monitor.
    I fixed it for you.

I have a wide screen 60Hz @ 5ms response monitor and a 4:3 ViewSonic VX922 running at 75Hz @ 2ms response, and the difference in-game is immense, even at the same game generated FPS rate which is higher than 75. The ViewSonic wipes the floor with the other. Kills are higher, deaths lower - even with the smaller view

Players on a 60Hz will be at a distinct disadvantage.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Nightmare85 View Post
    For what?
    How many fps do you get and how many HZ can your monitor display?
    If you get 100 fps but only work at 60 HZ then it's nonsense.
    You cannot "see" those fps that cannot be displayed!
    Even with a 60Hz monitor, you should always try to maximize your fps.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I was planning on overclocking, but I read to wait a week for the thermal paste to adjust. Once I overclock I can update on how much more performance I get.

As for the cost
    Motherboard x58 SLI LE = $240
    i7 920 = $289
    6GB DDR3 RAM - Tri Channel, 1600MHz = $230
    Corsair CWCH50-1 Hydro H50 CPU Liquid Cooler = $85

So it was just over $800 total. Had to hold off on the video card until this fall probably.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    In my experience, a Q6700 at 3.2 GHz matched a stock-clocked i7 920 in UT3, although the 920 provided a slightly higher minimum framerate.

Like Drunk said, make sure you OC if you can. The Kentsfield Quadcores (and duals) have at least 25% built-in headroom out of the box, although your mobo/RAM can effect this too.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Overclock imo. If your psu , mobo , memory are decent u can o/c a bit more.

Even with the stock cpu cooler.I'd suggest a better one to o/c though.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I have the exact same config as your old computer except that I have 680i SLI LT board. I am thinking of upgrading too. How much did it cost for the upgrade?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Jhonyshow View Post
    good info!

but i play with low settings to have more fps :P
    For what?
    How many fps do you get and how many HZ can your monitor display?
    If you get 100 fps but only work at 60 HZ then it's nonsense.
    You cannot "see" those fps that cannot be displayed!

So, more information please!

Cheers!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    good info!

but i play with low settings to have more fps :P

Leave a comment:

• started a topic Q6600 vs i7 920 in UT3 performance results

Q6600 vs i7 920 in UT3 performance results

I recently updated my CPU from a Q6600 to the i7920, and noticed a huge increase in performance in UT3.

Old computer
    Q6600 at 2.4 GHz, 4 gigs at 800 MHz, 8800 GTS 512 MB, EVGA 680i SLI TE edition motherboard, and Windows 7 64 bit.

New computer
    i7 920 at 2.66 GHz, 6 gigs at 1600 MHz, 8800 GTS 512 MB, EVGA x58 SLI LE motherboard, and Windows 7 64 bit.

As you can see they are both running the same video card, but CPU and RAM have been updated. Usually RAM doesn't really boost performance as much so I am sure this is mostly the CPU.

Benchmark on Deck over 5 minute average on 1920 x 1200 resolution and max settings.

Q6600 = Minimum 35 FPS, Average 66 FPS
    i7 920 = Minimum 55 FPS, Average 88 FPS

I thought I would share these results in case someone has been thinking about upgrading. You will not see that big of jump without upgrading the video card in most games, but this just shows how important your CPU is in UT3. Deck plays flawless with no lag.
Working...
X