_-_The Ultimate Duelling Guide_-_

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    You can use forward or backwards, left or right. Whatever is suitable for the situation really and will not compromise your aim. As a side note, side dodges get you more distance than backwards or forwards 'leaps'.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I always use forward dodges, I'm a trend setter, you'll see.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    oddly enough, penetrated was the map that prompted this question. for some reason, there's a route through there that i can only really get if i forward dodge through, and not side or l/r dodge. i'll have to go back and run through it some more to be sure...

thanx

have a nice day.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Most people usually use left and right dodges for wall-dodges, if that's what you're asking... if that's the case then yes, it sounds like you're part of the norm.

Sometime I'll double jump near a wall and forward or backwards dodge off it, but that's more the exception and usually only used when I'm doing something tricky. Although, DM-Penetrated-LE comes to mind for having several applications of it in regular gameplay.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    hey, i had a quick question regarding movement.

when i perform the old dodge off the wall post jumping thing, (call it what you want)
    i generally use the left or right (a or d), and not the forward or backward. is this the norm for this activity? might i see some benefit to doing my jump, then looking in my future direction of travel, and dodging forward, or is my current jump adjacent to wall, side dodge away, while looking wherever adequate?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Rek -- you're 100% right about playing people above your own skill level. I think hypno talked more in depth about this too, and it's absolutely the fastest way to improve. What he said about CRT vs LCD is also true, although a really nice LCD with low response time can be acceptable if you don't mind some minor tearing. I currently use an ASUS LCD with 2ms response time.

You're also dead on about the consistency thing. If I play stoned against anyone my own level, I get smashed.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    i've followed this thread from the start, and silt/zzyzx beat me senseless today. i want my money back.

fail quit rage argh.
    but seriously. all very valid tips. even if you all choose to argue their personal merits.
    but what has worked best for me after all of it is playing with others that are better than me. regardless of game type. it inspires me to at least try to improve in this game. and not quit.

i mean, i've improved since i started, but it's been about fun for me, and now that i take another look at it, i'm glad i have not quit. and that i've improved.

o i'm still curious about the whole crt vs tft thing that hypno brought up, and personally when i duel, i use my headphones. sony mdr7506.

and to this day, i'm still experimenting with mouse sensitivity. mostly because my personal condition when i play this game is quite random. sober one day, unable to operate gas powered tools the next.

which makes me believe that consistency is also important for duelling. players have maps/routes/strats that do work well for them, but that ability to be flexible and adapt is still just as valuable as all that map control,stacking, and uber shock skills.

my drunken duelling rant.
    end of line.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Yeah, they have their own individual sounds, that's another way you could know without looking.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Don't they all have different equip/putdown noises? :] I'd check but my pc is destroyed! grrr

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I play with weapons hidden and can identify the weapon I'm using by the crosshair.

Even better is editing utweapons.ini and associate each with a different color. E.g. rocket=red, link=bright green, flak=orange, shock=magenta, etc...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Rhykker View Post
    So you're able to remember what weapon you have out? I switch so often that I wouldn't be able to keep track... That's why I like to have my weapon visible. I don't actually look at the weapon, but it's there, in the periphery of my vision, so I don't have to take my eyes off my target to know what I'm presently holding.

Peace
    -Rhykker
    I started playing weapons hidden back in UT a while after I got it, so it's been slightly more than 10 years since I made the switch and at first it was a bit annoying, but after a while it all became muscle memory and I never had to think about switching, I just did. It helped immensely in 2k3 with the ridiculous insta-switch from LtG to Shock, you could kill a guy in less than 1 second with that and not miss a beat on your movement or your opponent.

Once it becomes muscle memory, you won't think about the weapon you need, you'll already have it out, firing at the guy you need to frag.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by JohnDoe641 View Post
    99.9% of people who have weapons hidden aren't using the weapons bar, lol. We have our weapons all bound to specific keys that we can quickly access without taking our eyes off of our target. Doing that will give someone a bigger advantage vs someone looking around to see what weapon the have out.
    +2

Complete agree

Leave a comment:

• replied
    99.9% of people who have weapons hidden aren't using the weapons bar, lol. We have our weapons all bound to specific keys that we can quickly access without taking our eyes off of our target. Doing that will give someone a bigger advantage vs someone looking around to see what weapon the have out.
    +1111

...that's what I mean... lol

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Rhykker View Post
    So you're able to remember what weapon you have out? I switch so often that I wouldn't be able to keep track... That's why I like to have my weapon visible. I don't actually look at the weapon, but it's there, in the periphery of my vision, so I don't have to take my eyes off my target to know what I'm presently holding.

Peace
    -Rhykker
    Yep... I never have trouble recalling what weapon I'm using and I tend to switch weapons extremely often. It may not be second nature when you first start using weapons hidden, but pretty quickly you will begin to remember what you're holding at all times. I only use the weapon bar to check which weapons I don't have.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hidden or not weapons are/should be bind to specific keys.Pressing the key to one weapon after a while of playing its an automatic procedure.

I support that weapons hidden are better but i still use small weapons.When im drunk (often ) i like to double check what i have in hand .

Weapons or not , the crosshair is the main attraction plus the player u want centered on it(hitscan). "Shoot to miss" (prediction needed ) with other weapons.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X