Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

_-_The Ultimate Duelling Guide_-_

...has not been written.
    As much as i search, only the very basics are readily available.
    So come on all you top duellers out there, share the tips and tricks that make you what you are

I'm talking hardware, what headphones do you use; with what settings?
    Do you use any indispensable ini.tweaks, show us your audio files !
    I wish there were somewhere spawn points of every map were listed, it's a pig having to suicide multiple times until you think you've found them all.
    Should ambience be on in audio settings? I heard it needs to be on to hear footsteps in water etc, but lots of people seem to shy away from it..

Ideally someone would write a huuuge duel guide detailing everything comprehensively, but failing that- i'm sure with the number of people on here something useful could be whipped together

Help !!

Yes, this would be a great project. We can all chime in tips and tricks, and someone can bag up a complete summary of this entire thread.

Just to start off, I'll add a tip on the Link Gun:

If someone is unaware of your presence, shoot a small burst of primary fire at them, then quickly switch to secondary fire.

When you do this, the warning shot will persuade the other player to dodge, but your secondary fire shaft beam will put them into a lockdown.

Plus, this method is much faster than using the shaft alone.

Comment

You do not need ambience to hear footsteps on water

Comment

In masterplayer we teach all this things you say to all members, we insist to play duels, and make betters duelers.

Unfurtunaly my english is too basic to explain all, also we use TeamSpeak to teach all this things.

but the best advice I can give is to practice a lot. Especially with people better than you

Gl

Comment

Make sure you can move, dodge, and do pretty much everything backwards in any given duel map; being able to shoot while running away is more important than you think.

Comment

Duelling probably requires the most experience than other game modes,so there are so useful tips to be succesful.

First,collect all stuff that you can.Remember,every weapon,health pack or even health vial,which you collect during game is so important.And also what you collect is that you steal from your opponent.

Second,don't forget timing.Timing plays an important role in game,especially in Duelling mode.I guess you don't want to miss all armor packs,powerups and expect to win,eh?

Third,use your weapon wisely,try not to waste so much ammo,so that you can keep fighting.

Also watch how you move in game,try to use wall jumps,double dodge during fight.You gotta improve your aim when dodging,and wall jumping.That will give you a huge advantage.

And about spawn points...You gotta practice everymap which you want to improve your skills in it,and with doing that,you'll learn spawn points,and you'll start guessing where the enemy spawns during game.That will make you think about your strategy,and improve you a lot,i guess.

I hope it helps you

Comment

To jomi,
              So in ingame audio settings you only have SFX enabled? i have ambience on low as well, i was led to believe this allows you to hear some of your opponents interactions with the environment that you can't hear in SFX

When my PC is fixed i'll paste my audio tweaks, a dueller sent me his ini. a long time ago, i'm not sure if they're optimum though- be good to see what other guys use

Div1 CB dullers please apply :P

Comment

I'm not a duel player but there is some aspect I want to contribute which is common sense but often overlooked. Knowing the other player can give you the edge against that player when he is on the same level as you. Even if a duel player tries to be as unpredictable as possible most have some traits, distinctive playstyles and favourite routes.

Just a little example. I know a player that when he tips an lift and does not use it, he waits in 2/3 of all cases about 4 second to use it, if he doesn't go away which can be heard by his footsteps.

One of my traits for example would be that I rarely use jumppads because they give away my position even over long distance and make me vulnerable. Of course to make me not to predictable I sometimes use them when I feel save or to surprise someone that I know that he knows me very well.

An other point:
                Different movement can be heared over a longer distance then others.

Dodging and Jumping are very loud and can be heared over the whole map (like Deck16) even without overly optimized sound settings.

Normal running is much more silent but can be heard very good if the distance is not to large and/or the other player has highly optimized sound settings.

To sneak when ducked is very silent but can be heared contrary to common believe if you are nearby. In duels it is rarely used because you need to get fast to the weapons and powerups to keep or gain map control.

So if you don't have spawning items waiting for you or want to intercept the other player at a certain point of the map you should use rather normal running then dodging since it is slightly harder to locate you.

Maybe a player that has a highly optimized setting and a good sound system/headphones can tell us how far he can hear other players. (I have the soundgroup character only increased to 4 because iI sometimes play on severs without utcomp and get mad from my own footsteps but I heared that duel players use much higher values)

@The ambient sound. I believe that it depends on what properties the mapper used for his objects. It could be f.e. that water on one map does make a sound when you walk through it and on the other map doesn't when you have ambient sound off. This could be also true for jumppads or other materials but I can't tell for sure. Maybe I can find an example or source.
                [EDIT] I looked in some maps of different origin [Rankin - water puddles, DM-1on1-Meitsu - no splash sounds in the water at all, OceanRelic many types of water but no difference beetween ambient sound on or off, Gateway, CBP-Yarith, Defiance] but found no differences between ambient on or off that would help you to locate the other player better. [/EDIT]

Originally posted by shombowhore View Post
                Make sure you can move, dodge, and do pretty much everything backwards in any given duel map; being able to shoot while running away is more important than you think.
                I'm not sure if something that basic should be in a specific guide for duel players. Even a warfare player needs mapknowledge and the ability to shoot while running and dodging backwards if he wants to play at average level.
                At least the Gr1fter I know is a solid enough player to have that skills .

Comment

Originally posted by Gr1fter View Post
                  I wish there were somewhere spawn points of every map were listed,
                  Just open the maps in the editor.

Comment

Originally posted by tranix View Post
                    Duelling probably requires the most experience than other game modes,so there are so useful tips to be succesful.
                    Can we agree on emphasizes different skillset than other modes which you should have much experience in if you want to play it successfull? .
                    I strongly advice to stay away from statements like that because we want to make it a useful thread and not turn it into a flame thread.

Comment

It's true though. Not because of the 'gametype' itself; it requires more from you because there's nothing to lean back on but yourself. That's all it means, be it 1v1 DM, or 1v1 anything (not that anyone plays 1v1 anything but DM).

That said, 1v1 DM and CTF are my favorite gametypes :>.

Back on topic though, just learning the spawn points is a pretty basic thing to do too. What you want to do is anticipate everything opponent is going to do, not just when you're looking for him, but all the time, including close combat. From there you can plan ahead, stay in advantage.

Comment

Originally posted by RaT++ View Post
                        Can we agree on emphasizes different skillset than other modes which you should have much experience in if you want to play it successfull? .
                        I strongly advice to stay away from statements like that because we want to make it a useful thread and not turn it into a flame thread.
                        I had no problem with what he said.

The key word here is "probably."

Comment

Originally posted by RaT++ View Post
                          I didnt want to make an off-topic post,or to turn it into a flame thread.If any of my words meant that,I apologize for that.

I just wanted to share my tips with him,considering the title (the ultimate DUELLING guide)

Sorry again.

Comment

To Rat++, you're Kalindra ingame right? You'll have seen me as {NOC}Gr1fter
                            Don't worry about my skill level, this thread should be for anyone interested in improving their duelling.. whether they've just got the game or have been playing the series for years. Anything anyone contributes is awsome. Eventually it owuld be cool to be able to paste the thread-link to anyone who mentions a desire to duel better

I'll see if i can get Kix/other decent duellers to give their 2cents
                            On a personal level i'm looking for the advanced tricky ****.. the dark arts you "hypno"'s out there have picked up from playing for 10 years.
                            Skillwise i can handle myself in high CBDiv2/mid Div1 TDM, but it doesn't seem to tranlate to duelling.
                            i find myself having better movement, better moving combo-s, and better aim than some guys, yet they still manage to beat me.
                            Usually it's through sheer weight of spam.. but you can tell these guys know what they're doing
                            My main issue is trying to be overly precise when spamming a load of ammo at places seems to do the trick for other guys
                            Helppp !

Comment

hey grift, well duelling is a mix between personal skill, timing and map knowledge/routines. Normally on a high level the players skill is very similar and what makes the difference is mainly the map knowledge, the luck, timing and some decisions made or not made.

Personally I always advice to play better players than you, play those maps you "hate", you can't have handicaps, especially in tournaments, for example SesioN was a great UT3 deck player but he didn't play any other maps besides that one, so basically as 1on1 player he turned out to be very weak (5 maps in the map pool hehe).

About respawns you can check out the respawn in unreal editor I guess, to be honest I don't even know all respawns on the maps, I just have some kind of idea he's going to respawn "somewhere near the armor x or weapon y". You get that idea after praccing the maps a lot of times, it'll be instinctive after some time.

Timing isn't only about the armors and shieldbelt, back then I used to time the shock rifle in the majority of the maps, for example in sentinel/penetrated/subterrane it's very important to do it. Why? Well mainly because the shock rifle is a very powerfull weapon that can be used in long, mid and close range and also because the shock combos are a very easy way to break maplock, you can be fully stacked and in control, if u get a combo in the face, boom ur dead in 1sec. This happened to me vs kiLLu in play.com winner bracket, the score was 6-6 overtime, I was fully stacked and I knew that kiLLu was quite low, he knew that I was going for the rush, he pulled out a perfect combo in my face and I lost in overtime. For timing armors/weapons it's instinctive aswell, after walking some around the map you'll know that after 27 secs it's going to spawn so, same for health packs for example, if you picked certain health packs at the same time they will spawn there too. About decisions - this is very important aswell, you should try to know if its risky to attack or not considering your armor/health and depending which weapon he's using aswell, imagine if you have 69-70 health but you know he's low, even tho he's using a sniper rifle, 1 hit will kill you. You shouldnt' really attack in this situation, grab at least 5hp so you can have 74-75hp and even if he hits you got 5hp left to finish him off, this kind of stuff is very important and one frag can decide the whole game(same about shock primaries, 45hp etc). Timing belt is quite easy, at least if you compare it to quakelive for example with so many items spawning so quickly You probably already know this but you just need to plus +5 to the current time. So if you pick at 13:05 it'll spawn at 12:10, if you pick at 12:07 it'll spawn at 11:12, if you pick it up at 11:9 it'll be at 10:14, and so on.

Positioning is also very important, you should never put yourself into places that you are in disavantage, you need to get yourself in positions that you are comfy with certain weapon and your opponent hardly can hit you.

Now there's the skill part, obviously you need to have a good movement, aim, and knowledge of the weapons, this only can be achieved with playing playing playing, and normally it'll increase faster if you play better opponents, if you play often better players than you, when you play players at your skill level, they'll seem slower and easier to hit, at least this happened to me a lot of times. You gotta be unpredictable and original in your moves and decisions.

About settings I dont think it influences your game that much, obviously you need to turn off things like landingshake and so on, but for example about sensitivity is very personal, its funny that I just did a UT3 game and I've been playing qlive for 1month or so, and tbh I dont know how I played with 43cm/360ยบ for such a long time, since I have to play quake with around 25-30. There are some other stuff I got used to tho and that makes your game smoother. A good CRT monitor with +100hz(or the new TFT ones I havent really tested them yet tho), your mouse tweaked to at least 500hz and a steady framerate of 100+fps(hopefully sincronized with monitor hertz).

For hardware you just need a mouse that doesn't skip at all, a good and big mousepad if you have a low sens, a decent headset(i got used to sennheiser hd280 pro cuz they're awesome for lan and block all the noise).

Some mouses I recommend:

ms 3.0
                              logitech mx518
                              razer deathadder
                              microsoft 1.1a

about headsets I dont have a lot of knowledge since i've been using these for the last 5 years, but tbh i wouldn't trade them for anything, maybe sennheiser pc350, i dno

About mousepads qck+ heavy is a good choice, I also heard very good opinions about puretrak talent's cloth pad.

For monitors a cheap 19" CRT would be better than all of those expensive TFT monitors u've got out there (60/75hz) but if I had to buy a TFT it would be the samsung 2233rz that supports real 120hz (but not as smooth as CRT, at least what i've been told).

I hope this was usefull!

I wish I had a better english so I could explain myself better tho

cheers.

Comment

Working...
                              X