No announcement yet.

_-_The Ultimate Duelling Guide_-_

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really agree about the crt monitor >tft's.I had to change my crt(never tried a tft before that) after almost a year in ut3. Better colors = yes .Playing ut3 with it the 1st time = i was ready to throw it out the window.Turning vsync off felt much better but i had tearing.Now i had to play with vsync off cause else id crash over n over again.

Nothing can beat experience , playing with better players than you ,for some time .

Some demos of good duel players combined with some duel experience can help too .EZ to find thanxx to Fuzz here : http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=716814

Comment

some of my modified config settings, they are a half year old since i do my duty currently in the nice and peacfull afghanistan...

sound in utengine.ini:
      [Engine.AudioDevice]
      SoundGroups=(GroupName=Ambient,Properties=(Volume= 0.20))
      SoundGroups=(GroupName=Announcer,Properties=(Volum e=0,bAlwaysPlay=1,bNoReverb=TRUE))
      SoundGroups=(GroupName=Briefing,Properties=(Volume =1,bAlwaysPlay=1,bIsUISound=TRUE))
      SoundGroups=(GroupName=Character,Properties=(Volum e=10))
      SoundGroups=(GroupName=Cinematic,Properties=(Volum e=0,bNoReverb=TRUE))
      SoundGroups=(GroupName=CinematicDialog,Properties= (Volume=0))
      SoundGroups=(GroupName=Dialog,Properties=(Volume=0 ),ChildGroupNames=(StoryDialog,CinematicDialog,Tau nts,Briefing))
      SoundGroups=(GroupName=Item,Properties=(Volume=10) )
      SoundGroups=(GroupName=Master,Properties=(Volume=1 ),ChildGroupNames=(SFX,Cinematic,Music,Announcer,V oiceChat,Dialog,MovieEffects,MovieVoice,UI))
      SoundGroups=(GroupName=MovieEffects,Properties=(Vo lume=0))
      SoundGroups=(GroupName=MovieVoice,Properties=(Volu me=0))
      SoundGroups=(GroupName=Music,Properties=(Volume=0, bNoReverb=TRUE,bAlwaysPlay=1))
      SoundGroups=(GroupName=SFX,Properties=(Volume=1,bN oReverb=TRUE),ChildGroupNames=(Character,Item,Stin ger,Vehicle,Weapon))
      SoundGroups=(GroupName=Stinger,Properties=(Volume= 1,bNoReverb=TRUE))
      SoundGroups=(GroupName=StoryDialog,Properties=(Vol ume=0))
      SoundGroups=(GroupName=Taunts,Properties=(Volume=0 ))
      SoundGroups=(GroupName=UI,Properties=(Volume=0,bNo Reverb=TRUE,bIsUISound=TRUE))
      SoundGroups=(GroupName=Vehicle,Properties=(Volume= 1))
      SoundGroups=(GroupName=VoiceChat,Properties=(Volum e=0,bNoReverb=TRUE))
      SoundGroups=(GroupName=Weapon,Properties=(Volume=1 ))
      SoundGroupEffects=()
      SoundGroupEffects=(GroupEffect=((GroupName=Weapon, PitchAdjuster=0.4),(GroupName=Ambient,PitchAdjuste r=0.4),(GroupName=Character,PitchAdjuster=1.0),(Gr oupName=Item,PitchAdjuster=1.0),(GroupName=Vehicle ,PitchAdjuster=0.4)))

utcomp.ini client settings:
      [UTComp UTComp_ClientSettings]
      BlueEnemyHue=278.652130
      RedTeammateHue=111.196579
      bEnemyBased=True
      bForceModels=True
      bEnablePickupCrosshairResize=True
      bUseCrosshairFactory=True
      bEnableHitSounds=True
      bCPMAStyleHitsounds=True
      bAutoScreenshot=True
      bAutoDemoRec=True
      bEnableEnemyNamesOnHud=True
      benabledropshadowoncustomcrosshairs=False
      bEnableColorskins=True
      bEnableOwnFootsteps=False
      bDarkDeadBodies=True
      bEnableTeamOverlay=True
      bTO_ShowSelf=False
      bEnableAdvancedScoreboard=True
      bEnableCharPreview=True
      bEnablePingCorrection=False
      bUseRusTranslit=False
      BlueEnemyModel=Rook
      RedTeammateModel=Raven
      MenuKey=F5
      HitSoundVolume=1.322350
      ScreenshotMask=
      DemoMask=zD
      CPMAPitchModifier=1.400000
      TeamOverlayXPosistionPercentage=0
      TeamOverlayYPosistionPercentage=7
      TeamOverlayOpacity=1.000000
      TeamOverlaySize=0
      PlayerName=Largo!
      MinDesiredPing=20
      SniperZoomColor=(B=0,G=48,R=255,A=255)
      DemoCounter=0
      CustomCrosshairs=(Components=)
      CustomCrosshairs=(Components=((CrossTex="utcomp3me nusvxxx.Crosshairs",CrossScale=1.000000,OffsetX=0. 000000,OffsetY=0.000000,CrossColor=(B=0,G=255,R=0, A=146),UL=64.000000,VL=64.000000,U=0.000000,V=64.0 00000,Rotation=(Pitch=0,Yaw=0,Roll=0))))
      CustomCrosshairs=(Components=((CrossTex="utcomp3me nusvxxx.Crosshairs",CrossScale=1.000000,OffsetX=0. 000000,OffsetY=0.000000,CrossColor=(B=0,G=255,R=0, A=146),UL=64.000000,VL=64.000000,U=0.000000,V=64.0 00000,Rotation=(Pitch=0,Yaw=0,Roll=0))))
      CustomCrosshairs=(Components=((CrossTex="utcomp3me nusvxxx.Crosshairs",CrossScale=1.000000,OffsetX=0. 000000,OffsetY=0.000000,CrossColor=(B=0,G=200,R=25 4,A=119),UL=64.000000,VL=64.000000,U=0.000000,V=0. 000000,Rotation=(Pitch=0,Yaw=0,Roll=0))))
      CustomCrosshairs=(Components=((CrossTex="utcomp3Co ntentvxxx.UT2k4.Crosshair_Dot",CrossScale=2.000000 ,OffsetX=0.000000,OffsetY=0.000000,CrossColor=(B=0 ,G=255,R=0,A=255),UL=64.000000,VL=64.000000,U=0.00 0000,V=0.000000,Rotation=(Pitch=0,Yaw=0,Roll=0))))

EDIT*: As there are some misstakes in displaying it into the forum here u can dl all my configs here: myLargos configs on the below side

Comment

Originally posted by hypno View Post
        ...obviously you need to turn off things like landingshake and so on...
        I have a question to this point.While weaponbob always was an illusion in Unreal Games, at least In UT2k3 the landing shake was a real and changed the position of the crosshair. Was that changed in UT3 or do you find the distraction caused by the landingshake worse then having the real position of the crosshair on screen and not worth the tradeoff?

...if I had to buy a TFT it would be the samsung 2233rz that supports real 120hz (but not as smooth as CRT, at least what i've been told).
        Thank you for the info. That was something I didn't know. While I hope that my 21'' Samsung CRT will continue to work a long time it's good to know that there are some good gaming monitors out there just in case I need one.

Originally posted by Gr1fter
        To Rat++, you're Kalindra ingame right? You'll have seen me as {NOC}Gr1fter
        Don't worry about my skill level, this thread should be for anyone interested in improving their duelling.. whether they've just got the game or have been playing the series for years. Anything anyone contributes is awsome. Eventually it owuld be cool to be able to paste the thread-link to anyone who mentions a desire to duel better
        Since it is your thread you set the frame what should be in it and what not.
        In case enough material is posted to convert it in a real guide we need to weed out some things, give it a structure and add links to guides that cover the basic stuff anyway. So keep it comming guys and don't worry .

Comment

Well you should disable everything that distracts you and landing shake is one of these things, I think the crosshair actually changes position, im not sure tho I thought the same about bob aswell. There's an annoying thing also when you die, some kind of blurriness that you can disable aswell, personally I dont have my UT3 really really tweaked, I just have everything set to low and bob/landing shake etc turned off. Even tho I have to be honest.. I just played recently UT3 after 1 month of quakelive with a totally tweaked config (picmip etc) and UT3 felt SO detailed and for me it was quite hard to actually see the opponent Anyway its just about getting used really.

Btw your 21" CRT might do 150hz no? That's lovely, heaven of smoothness

Comment

Btw your 21" CRT might do 150hz no? That's lovely, heaven of smoothness
            Yes and no. I'm a casual player now and trade off high frequency for higher resolution (1600x1200). But it's extremly smooth since I can deactivate vsync in UT3 without having tearing effects. If I had to play in a ladder I would proberly use 1152x864 which was my favorite gaming resolution for a long time. Higher resolutions don't provide me higher precision.

Specs (cut ot the very high and low resolutions):
            1600x1200 @95Hz
            1280x1024 @110Hz
            1152x864 @129Hz
            1024x768 @144Hz
            800x600 @160Hz

Comment

Well you should disable everything that distracts you and landing shake is one of these things, I think the crosshair actually changes position, im not sure tho I thought the same about bob aswell.
              I just confirmed it to be sure. the weaponbob left/right swing is an illusion. The weapon always hits on the same spot and not where the crosshair is.

The landingshake is a different story. It is always on crosshair. With landingshake on the weapon hits a lower spot in the moment of landing then usual but with landingshake off it hits the same spot as it does when standing.

So both off is the best way for UT3.
              I'm to lazy to confirm the UT2k3 part of the story but that is not the goal here.

Comment

wow the things that say hypno are 100% true! my english can't explain that, but its what i thing.

The only that i can add its the important of the sound, when i change my onboard sound card to xfi-xtreme all was more clear and easy to ear.

Good words!

Comment

Always play with weapons hidden! Most casual players don't know that one. Also, Jhony makes a good recommendation, I love my xfi + sennheisers.

edit: I thought that in UT2004, landing shake would still affect aim even when it's disabled (on the cross-hair.) That is, turning landing shake off would be a bad thing. It would be nice to confirm whether or not this is true in UT3.

Comment

Originally posted by shombowhore View Post
                    edit: I thought that in UT2004, landing shake would still affect aim even when it's disabled (on the cross-hair.) That is, turning landing shake off would be a bad thing. It would be nice to confirm whether or not this is true in UT3.
                    Look in the post above from me. I heared the same from UT2k3. I tested it and its not true anymore imho. Of course I would appreciate a second opinion.

Comment

Weapon show on/off = myths

Comment

Originally posted by jomi294 View Post
                        Weapon show on/off = myths
                        no, with out the weapon you have more visibility and it dont distract you.

Comment

Originally posted by Jhonyshow View Post
                          no, with out the weapon you have more visibility and it dont distract you.

yes, some people says "is better for aiming", becouse you have a "virtual line" between your weapon and Crossair, so it's better then hide your weapon... but i think this isn't crucial factor to get a nice aiming...

btw, hiding your weapon you will get a clear vision of the enviroment and you won't get any distractions or something.
                          I prefer hide my weap and set my FOV at 100(at least) for better aiming, yes FOV...

Originally posted by RaT++ View Post
                          Specs (cut ot the very high and low resolutions):
                          1600x1200 @95Hz
                          1280x1024 @110Hz
                          1152x864 @129Hz
                          1024x768 @144Hz
                          800x600 @160Hz
                          aaaaawww I wish that! I'm playing at 75Hz

Comment

Originally posted by RaT++ View Post
                            Look in the post above from me. I heared the same from UT2k3. I tested it and its not true anymore imho. Of course I would appreciate a second opinion.
                            I tried it out offline and it seems you're correct... definitely leaving that off now.

Originally posted by chatran88 View Post
                            yes, some people says "is better for aiming", becouse you have a "virtual line" between your weapon and Crossair, so it's better then hide your weapon... but i think this isn't crucial factor to get a nice aiming...
                            I disagree... people focus on that virtual line, and judge where they 'think' the projectile or shot should go, when they should really be using their crosshair. The virtual line is imaginary; in the game, there's no correlation between the weapon and the shot's placement.

Comment

I keep my weapons visible so that I know what weapon I presently have equipped, how much time is left on the reload, how many rockets I've loaded... Small weapons don't take up an enormous chunk of screen, and not a whole lot of action takes place in the bottom corner... Maybe I'm just a lamer newb.

Comment

Originally posted by shombowhore View Post
                                I tried it out offline and it seems you're correct... definitely leaving that off now.

I disagree... people focus on that virtual line, and judge where they 'think' the projectile or shot should go, when they should really be using their crosshair. The virtual line is imaginary; in the game, there's no correlation between the weapon and the shot's placement.
                                i mean, the "virtual line" between the Weap and Crossair HELPS to our Aim. but you'll lost Visual field, just a bit..

Comment

Working...
                                X