Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by Masaai_Warrior View Post
    Thats because your GTX was good enough to max out UT3. My biggest improvement in UT3 came from when I upgraded from a dual to a quad processor (E6600 to Q6700).

However, GFX wise, you should find that you can whack your AA levels up to previusly un-obtainable settings with the 5870 than the 8800 GTX (depending on your resolution).

This is true, UT3 simply is not using all that vram and gpu capability, also worth repeating earlier posts here- what UT3's producer posted on BU around launch time:

"The negative perf posts were from people who hated the CPU bound nature of the rendering. Namely, even at 1920x1200 we weren't maxxing out a single NVIDIA 8800 pipe. All these guys who SLI'd them thought there was some issue when their performance didn't increase when they enabled the second card."

This suggests that an Epic, built for PC game , a game not hamstrung by the limiting old tech in consoles, one that could use all that vram/gpu capability and DX11 features, would blow people away. A PC game developed exclusively for Fermi(obviously this won't happen) would probably be of borderline CGI movie quality level.

Alas, the only reason for PC gamers to buy the latest graphics cards these days seems to be for bragging rights and running obscure DX11 bench marking utilities or poorly optimized ported games. I mean, 2K games have just released Bioshock 2 for PC and the textures are allegedly of lower res than their first game from 2 1/2 years ago . Their CGI pre rendered launch trailer is incredible tho - if the real time gameplay did actually look that good, everyone would be eager to upgrade. rant over

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by barondro View Post
    Planning to upgrade to Win 7. Cannot decide if to go for 32 or 64 bit.
    The benefits of 64 are:
    - having access to more than 4 gigs of ram (I have only 4) so not much improvements there.
    - programs designed for 64 bit run better (there isn't plenty of them) so that wouldn't be a turning point reason either.

Downsides:
    -driver (not)support, possible glitches.

What version have you been running Blue?
    I have 64bit running and my rig is 2 years old. I had got 8 gigs RAM (overkill

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by bambislayer99 View Post
    UT3 is a 32 bit game.

Win 7 64 bit runs 32 bit games in an emulation mode so as to catch any exceptions/bad 32 - 64 bit translations, so I have been informed.

Under Vista, the compatibility emulator was in it's infancy, hence a number of people playing certain games on vista 64 bit had problems with poor performance.

Win 7 64 bit is better but it still has a slight performance hit - some say in the order of 7 fps.

With faster and faster processors out this frame rate drop is becoming less important as the total frame rates increase - so going 64 bit Win 7 now would be a sensible move despite the very slight performance hit.

Running UT3 on XP will get you better performance than running it on Win 7 64 bit but with todays hardware it's really not worth getting XP on a new rig now anyhow.

I just dropped an Ati 5870 into my rig and while I am getting better frame rates than my old 8800gtx the game overall doesn't play any better really (online).

I'm waiting to see how Fermi handles UT3
    I already proved that false a while back on Vista 64 when i had dual boot XP 32 and Vista 64.

UT3 runs faster on 64 bit Vista and I assume Windows 7.

Not going to go through all that rubbish again!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by bambislayer99 View Post
    I just dropped an Ati 5870 into my rig and while I am getting better frame rates than my old 8800gtx the game overall doesn't play any better really (online).
    Thats because your GTX was good enough to max out UT3. My biggest improvement in UT3 came from when I upgraded from a dual to a quad processor (E6600 to Q6700).

However, GFX wise, you should find that you can whack your AA levels up to previusly un-obtainable settings with the 5870 than the 8800 GTX (depending on your resolution).

Leave a comment:

• replied
    UT3 is a 32 bit game.

Win 7 64 bit runs 32 bit games in an emulation mode so as to catch any exceptions/bad 32 - 64 bit translations, so I have been informed.

Under Vista, the compatibility emulator was in it's infancy, hence a number of people playing certain games on vista 64 bit had problems with poor performance.

Win 7 64 bit is better but it still has a slight performance hit - some say in the order of 7 fps.

With faster and faster processors out this frame rate drop is becoming less important as the total frame rates increase - so going 64 bit Win 7 now would be a sensible move despite the very slight performance hit.

Running UT3 on XP will get you better performance than running it on Win 7 64 bit but with todays hardware it's really not worth getting XP on a new rig now anyhow.

I'm waiting to see how Fermi handles UT3

Leave a comment:

• replied
    thanks guys for your opinions. Still unsure what to install though ;-)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    It seems that finally 32bit is becoming outdated, if only because of that addressable memory limit. I don't know many people building new gaming rigs with just 2Gb system memory anyway.

As for SW and compatibility problems it's mainly legacy drivers and Win 7 pro has a XP mode to at least try to solve this.

Windows 7 / Vista 64, 32-bit applications run on top of an emulation of a 32 bit operating system that is called Windows on Windows 64(WOW64). WOW64 intercepts all operating system calls made by a 32 bit application.

Quote: For each operating system call made, WOW64 generates native 64 bit system calls, converting 32 bit data structures into 64 bit aligned structures. The appropriate native 64 bit system call is passed to the operating system kernel, and any output data from the 64 bit system call is converted into a format appropriate for the calling application before being passed back.

So it's pretty far from perfect, with UT3 too because of its development time frame. As for how an dx10/11 optimized 64bit native version would run, who knows?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Nightmare85 View Post
    I guess you do not benifit that much if you use an x64 OS.
    There's plenty of software that won't be running properly.
    Furthermore it could be troublesome to find drivers for your components.
    I read a lot of bad reviews (about any kind of products) associated with a 64 Bit OS.
    It would make sense that I get a 64 OS because I have 4 GB DDR2-RAM, but it's not that worth in my opinion because I really don't want to get software problems.

Cheers!
    Would you like a complete list of the software I,m running on Windows 7 64?

What software are you worried about, perhaps I can help!

I,m not having any problems, nor did I on Vista 64.

As I stated there should not be any problems running software on a 64 bit OS these days.

Don't believe everything you read on the net and trust those who use the OS day in day out.

Cheers!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    64bit app means it can allocate more ram for it's work. So if the app itself don't use many ram it'll not benefit from being 64bit imo. And besides that if you have some legacy hardware which isn't supported no more, it'll not have 64bit drivers so you'll not be able to use it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by gargorias View Post
    You would have to be crazy buying a 32 bit OS these days as all 32 bit software runs fine on Vista 64 and Windows 7 64.
    QFT.

64-bit is the future.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by gargorias View Post
    You would have to be crazy buying a 32 bit OS these days as all 32 bit software runs fine on Vista 64 and Windows 7 64.
    I guess you do not benifit that much if you use an x64 OS.
    There's plenty of software that won't be running properly.
    Furthermore it could be troublesome to find drivers for your components.
    I read a lot of bad reviews (about any kind of products) associated with a 64 Bit OS.
    It would make sense that I get a 64 OS because I have 4 GB DDR2-RAM, but it's not that worth in my opinion because I really don't want to get software problems.

Cheers!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by barondro View Post
    The benefits of 64 are:
    - having access to more than 4 gigs of ram (I have only 4) so not much improvements there.
    - programs designed for 64 bit run better (there isn't plenty of them) so that wouldn't be a turning point reason either.

Downsides:
    It's not just the programs you need to consider, remember the OS is running in 64 bit.

64 bit progs I,m using include Winzip, Winrar, Fast Picture Viewer, Hex Workshop, 64 bit codec pack, Visual Studio 9, Max, etc.

Windows progs using 64 bit include Explorer, MSE, Defender, Windows Mail, Media Player, etc.

Also there's the video drivers to consider 64 > 32.

Haven't come across any downsides using 64 bit!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Just Open a DOS Command Prompt box: Start>run type in cmd and press ok (like if you've ever used pathping to see where network issues are, cept in this case you type in the text exactly as above)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Moloko View Post
    Network issues, remember that the network stack within xp is less bloated and more streamlined than either vista or Win 7, both of which were designed more for throughput rather than latency ,Windows XP was originally tuned for dial-up connections (small packets)- twitch shooters like UT3 benefit from. The new features within the new network stack (Vista and Win 7) usually aren't supported, least not with older games and considering UT3's lack of other updated features? So...

Found this some time ago(for Vista):

..it might be worthwhile disabling auto-tuning. Do this by opening up an administrative Command Window (right-click, Run as administrator), and type in the following:

netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

You may also need to type in:

netsh interface tcp set global rss=disabled

The changes take effect straight away, with no reboot needed.
    can you plz give som more info about how too do that being pc noob here
    and will it fix the net code bull someword

Leave a comment:

• replied
    The benefits of 64 are:

Downsides:

What version have you been running Blue?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X