Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by Unreal Havoc View Post

Defend the game all you want but I thnk the campaign sucks, in my opinion.

Fortunately the multiplayer makes up for it.
    Please explain how the multiplayer TOURNAMENT succeeds while the single player tournament fails. The multiplayer is, after all, still Unreal "Tournament" 3.

In multiplayer you play in a series of random locations and don't get a trophy at the end...and this makes up for the single player campaign where you play in a series of random locations and don't get a trophy at the end???

I'm not "defending the game." I'm trying to figure out what your complaint is?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Even if one's preferences are important, talking about tournament or war, the plot, the particular kind of drama, may still be missing the point. The impression that I have is that the UT3 campaign deserved a professional writer, for the investment in cutscenes, maps, code, etc...

People could say that I'm an hater and so on, but my opinion is not based on this example, it's on tons of them before. People are just losing inspiration, or believe that others are dumbed-down, like cliches or only care about graphics and special effects on SP. Bioshock Metacritic score was 96. It is well deserved, but it's also a symptom that something is wrong and on current games, the money is not being invested on the right places.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I so would've preferred an in-game tournament. Maybe even clan and ladder support. Where'd be actual teams, competing in Liandri's (Epic's) tournament.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    UT04 didn't try to have a story though and that's what I liked about it. It just stated it's a tournament. Similar to Quake3's story (where a alien race pulled the best warriors from through time and space to beat the **** out of each other for their entertainment). It's simple but it works for the purpose of the game. I wouldn't even consider single player in either of these games to be a "REAL" single player mode, but rather an alternative to instant-action.

Unreal 3 tried to tell a "real" story while keeping the unreal tournament mechanic and it failed horribly. I'd of rather it stuck to the UT04 "story" or had nothing at all if they didn't have the time/money/ability to make a proper campaign,

Just my opinion. I never played much ut04 and I've never finished campaign in ut3 as it bores me too much. I bought ut3 to play against other people so whatever.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by {DvT}JonahHex View Post
    Stop focusing on what it is called and look at what you actually got.
    A god awful campaign that had nothing to do with being in a tournament unlike every other Unreal Tournament game?

They could have called this Unreal 3 and actually focused more on making it a warlike experience, it might have been pretty good.

Mixing a war setting with tournament gameplay just sucks. It doesn't suit the game at all.

Focusing on the "keyword" "tournament" is just an excuse to find something to ***** about.
    Focusing on the keyword tournament is important, because the game is called Unreal Tournament. The game is misleading because you don't take part in a tournament, neither does it have anything to do with one.

I probably wouldn't have minded if it didn't use tournament game mechanics and some weak *** explanations as to why your capturing flags three times, and using respawners (at least that part was plausible) to win a battle.

Defend the game all you want but I thnk the campaign sucks, in my opinion.

Fortunately the multiplayer makes up for it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Tournament, Shmernament. So what?

What is the difference between the UT tournament and the UT3 campaign? In UT you get a trophy at the end? In UT3 you get something of a story as you go thru the game? Other than the intro, there is no story in UT and other than a dead sister and, yes, a cliffhanger, there is no trophy in UT3.

To me the "team management" of the UT2004 tournament was a joke. The opposing bot teams generally were as "good" as we were told they would be before each match and the bots on my team were as useful as nipples on a boar hog...especially in the goal-oriented games: ONS, CTF, etc.

Stop focusing on what it is called and look at what you actually got:

Unreal had a "true" single player game; there was just you. UT and UT2004 introduced teams into the "single player" game, where you had help (if you can call it that...which in effect was a regression the single player format of Unreal) in a tournament format...playing at war. UT3 kept the team concept but put the format into an actual war setting (and still minimal "help" from the bots on your team).

Focusing on the "keyword" "tournament" is just an excuse to find something to ***** about.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Shadow Dancer View Post
    UC2's campaign was basically like UT3's but shorter, and with more frequent cutscenes so you felt like you were actually progressing a bit more.

Wha I do like about UT3's story (that most people conveinently ignore entirely) is that your tactical decisions actually affect your later matches. People who complain about lots of matches against tons of Krall shouldn't have ignored the Krall when the first show-up. Keep the Krall down early, and take the proper approach into enemy territory, and you'll actually make things a lot easier on yourself.
    I do hope they continue that idea in the next one.

I didn't read the ending as much of a cliffhanger. He's alone, on the far side of the galaxy, in the heart of Phayder space, with the entire Necris military pointed at him. And even if he does make it back, he's on the Izanagi hit-list, anyway. He's all kinds of screwed.
    Yeah, I noticed that on this playthrough as well. I didn't end up spending 75% of my gametime on warfare because I actually just went straight to death match and KILLED the guys rather than competing with them over land and points.

Also, to think Reaper is dead is a bit sad. I really think he could've blasted his way outta' there, and there's nothing stating he didn't. He could be a sort of tragic hero, I'd love to see that. He's obviously got a bit of backing behind him to make it onto the box, and I'm sure Epic has some plans for him. Malcolm and Loque can't go on forever.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by azurescorch View Post
    It was sarcasm. I was agreeing with you.
    I know.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Yeah? So a field lattice generator is nothing more than a pole with a cloth attached at one end?
    It was sarcasm. I was agreeing with you.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Taffy View Post
    Their support has always been very good. They supplied several patches and expansions for a game that didn't have the popularity they thought it would.

They have always done the community right with support IMO.
    Not on the Xbox 360 they didn't. The support for UT3 on that platform was awful. To the point where it drove the community it once had onto other platforms for their UT fix.

Originally posted by azurescorch View Post
    But they're not flags! They're Field LAttice Generators!
    Yeah? So a field lattice generator is nothing more than a pole with a cloth attached at one end?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Shadow Dancer
    It's easier to make fun of things when you misquote and misrepresent them. They're from the intro cinematic, but he took them all out of order to make it easier for him to mock it.
    ut3\utgame\localization\int\subtitles.int

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I won't go into Epics poor game support here though seems it would be off topic.
    Their support has always been very good. They supplied several patches and expansions for a game that didn't have the popularity they thought it would.

They have always done the community right with support IMO.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Capture the flag three times to win a battle in a war? Really?
    But they're not flags! They're Field LAttice Generators!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Shadow Dancer View Post
    It takes place in the same universe, the same time frame, with the same corporations, many of the same charatcers, the same weapons, and the same basic gameplay mechanics. Th same story events led up to it, and the tournament technologies and trappings (respawners, flags, power nodes/cores) are being applied. What would you call it? Just because it's set during the off-season so they can *GASP* do something slightly different with the damned series it can't be called what it fking is? If they took a football video-game and set it in the off-season where you and rival teams skirmish for practice could it no longer be called a football video-game, even if the gameplay was for all important aspects, exactly the same?
    Hello? Keyword tournament mean anything to you?

I'm not interested in off season garbage. I'm playing an Unreal Tournament game to play in a tournament. Not some fancy war that uses the exact same game mechanics as a tournament in exactly the same way. Yeah, I'm sure wars are fought like that.

The fact that every game mode is exactly the same as Unreal Tournament, (bar Warfare though it's close to Assault and Onslaught) only with some weak notion of it being a way to win a war is laughable.

Capture the flag three times to win a battle in a war? Really?

It doesn't fit the name Unreal Tournament and never will.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Hojunhu View Post
    Is there any matches to play so I DON'T have to play Torlan 50 million times?
    I think I only played it twice. I'd have to check the strat guide to find the path, but there're about 3 or 4 courses through the Iron Guard chapter, and depending on how you approach the Axon territory and how long you ignore the Krall will give or deny your enemy the option to move into that territory.

I think UT3's campaign is ridiculous. The games called Unreal Tournament 3 but there is no tournament...
    It takes place in the same universe, the same time frame, with the same corporations, many of the same charatcers, the same weapons, and the same basic gameplay mechanics. Th same story events led up to it, and the tournament technologies and trappings (respawners, flags, power nodes/cores) are being applied. What would you call it? Just because it's set during the off-season so they can *GASP* do something slightly different with the damned series it can't be called what it fking is? If they took a football video-game and set it in the off-season where you and rival teams skirmish for practice could it no longer be called a football video-game, even if the gameplay was for all important aspects, exactly the same?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X