Ending cliffhanger, boo.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ending cliffhanger, boo.

I know the game isn't very story based, but the cliffhanger at the end, with Epic saying Unreal is "resting for a few years" is sort of frustrating. Anyone agree? They did build up a cool cliffhanger imo. =P

Cool is an odd way to call it.

Comment

I hope they do not continue this out of place insipid story/campaign mode. If and when they make a new unreal game any single player mode against bots should be tournament driven (like in previous titles).

If they must include a campaign mode it should be a proper one. Not just fragging respawning idiotic bots with over the top hitscan accuracy.

Comment

in 2291, in an attempt to control violence among deep space miners, the new earth government legalized no-holds-bared fighting. Liandri mining corporation, working with the neg, established a series of leagues and bloody public exhibitions. The fights' popularity grew with their brutality. Soon, liandri discovered that the public matches were their most profitable enterprise. The professional league was formed; a cabal of the most violent and skilled warriors in known space, selected to fight in a grand tournament. Now it is 2341. 50 years have passed since founding of deathmatch. Profits from the tournament number in the hundreds of billions. You have been selected to fight in the professional league by the liandri rules board. Your strength and brutality are legendary. The time has come to prove you are the best. To crush your enemies; to win the tournament.
        ut: when people understood that world immersion did matter
        intro_01=in 2291, in an attempt to control violence among deep space miners, the liandri mining corporation established a series of leagues and bloody public exhibitions. For fifty years the fights' popularity grew with their brutality.
        Intro_02=then... The war came.
        Intro_03=verily! Bless my skills, o lord, and be pleased with the work of my hands ...
        Intro_04=the kind where we all die, othello?
        Intro_05=and get shot down?
        Intro_06=i'm on it.
        Intro_07=hell yea, this is my kind of fight!
        Intro_08=your brother's got a plan.
        Intro_09=see?
        Intro_10=you name it!
        Intro_11=reaper... A fighter won't help evac all these colonists.
        Intro_12=controlled bursts! Watch for civilians!
        Intro_13=i need volunteers.
        ut3: from the days when even $500 million is not enough for a movie to have a very good storyline ...

Comment

Meh, UT needs a long rest so UT4 can be the greatest game ever!

Comment

Originally posted by Benfica View Post
            ut: when people understood that world immersion did matter

ut3: from the days when even $500 million is not enough for a movie to have a very good storyline ...

You kind of lost me here. UT99 had a great intro, but what's the gibberish of UT3 lines? I recognize them, but they don't piece together properly.

Comment

It's easier to make fun of things when you misquote and misrepresent them. They're from the intro cinematic, but he took them all out of order to make it easier for him to mock it. A couple are from the trailer, as well.

Regardless, the character-driven theme came from UC2, not UT3 (even if UC2 had a better forumla for it, anyway.)

Personally, I'll take a character-based story out of the tournament proper over all that g*****ned team-management, team-finance-budgeting endless 1-on-1 botmatches for cash so I can continue the fking tourney bullsht from 2k4. I came here to frag guys not make fking spreadsheets!

UC2's campaign was basically like UT3's but shorter, and with more frequent cutscenes so you felt like you were actually progressing a bit more.

Wha I do like about UT3's story (that most people conveinently ignore entirely) is that your tactical decisions actually affect your later matches. People who complain about lots of matches against tons of Krall shouldn't have ignored the Krall when the first show-up. Keep the Krall down early, and take the proper approach into enemy territory, and you'll actually make things a lot easier on yourself.
              I do hope they continue that idea in the next one.

I didn't read the ending as much of a cliffhanger. He's alone, on the far side of the galaxy, in the heart of Phayder space, with the entire Necris military pointed at him. And even if he does make it back, he's on the Izanagi hit-list, anyway. He's all kinds of screwed.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow Dancer View Post
                It's easier to make fun of things when you misquote and misrepresent them. They're from the intro cinematic, but he took them all out of order to make it easier for him to mock it. A couple are from the trailer, as well.

Regardless, the character-driven theme came from UC2, not UT3 (even if UC2 had a better forumla for it, anyway.)

Personally, I'll take a character-based story out of the tournament proper over all that g*****ned team-management, team-finance-budgeting endless 1-on-1 botmatches for cash so I can continue the fking tourney bullsht from 2k4. I came here to frag guys not make fking spreadsheets!

UC2's campaign was basically like UT3's but shorter, and with more frequent cutscenes so you felt like you were actually progressing a bit more.

Wha I do like about UT3's story (that most people conveinently ignore entirely) is that your tactical decisions actually affect your later matches. People who complain about lots of matches against tons of Krall shouldn't have ignored the Krall when the first show-up. Keep the Krall down early, and take the proper approach into enemy territory, and you'll actually make things a lot easier on yourself.
                I do hope they continue that idea in the next one.
                Is there any matches to play so I DON'T have to play Torlan 50 million times?

Comment

I have never played the Campaign, never seen any cinematics. I play the odd "Instant-Action" match to mess about around the maps but thats it. For the duration of ownership, I have been online in multiplayer matches.

Anyway, afaik Epic added the SP content to cater for the crowd who is my polar opposite (i.e. for some very odd reason, they prefer playing against bots to real people). From what I have heard its not the most stimulating experience, but I think its probably a good start. No reason why an enjoyable SP experience cannot be crafted with the Engine (but I think customised levels would be required).

Comment

I think UT3's campaign is ridiculous. The games called Unreal Tournament 3 but there is no tournament. It's the most stupidly concieved pile of **** I have ever had the displeasure of laying my eyes on. The story doesn't have to be some James Cameron epic (no pun intended) it just has to actually have something to do with the title of the game.

If Epic are gong to make a campaign story based in Unreal Tournament 4 then they should at least take a leaf out of Midways book (Unreal Championship 2) on this one and keep it tournament focused in the spirit of the series.

Epic either make Unreal Tournament or Unreal, not some ******* child hybrid of both that fails to impress.

At least the multiplayer is good (although dead on the Xbox 360 sadly). I won't go into Epics poor game support here though seems it would be off topic.

Comment

Originally posted by Hojunhu View Post
                      Is there any matches to play so I DON'T have to play Torlan 50 million times?
                      I think I only played it twice. I'd have to check the strat guide to find the path, but there're about 3 or 4 courses through the Iron Guard chapter, and depending on how you approach the Axon territory and how long you ignore the Krall will give or deny your enemy the option to move into that territory.

Originally posted by Unreal Havoc View Post
                      I think UT3's campaign is ridiculous. The games called Unreal Tournament 3 but there is no tournament...
                      It takes place in the same universe, the same time frame, with the same corporations, many of the same charatcers, the same weapons, and the same basic gameplay mechanics. Th same story events led up to it, and the tournament technologies and trappings (respawners, flags, power nodes/cores) are being applied. What would you call it? Just because it's set during the off-season so they can *GASP* do something slightly different with the damned series it can't be called what it fking is? If they took a football video-game and set it in the off-season where you and rival teams skirmish for practice could it no longer be called a football video-game, even if the gameplay was for all important aspects, exactly the same?

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow Dancer View Post
                        It takes place in the same universe, the same time frame, with the same corporations, many of the same charatcers, the same weapons, and the same basic gameplay mechanics. Th same story events led up to it, and the tournament technologies and trappings (respawners, flags, power nodes/cores) are being applied. What would you call it? Just because it's set during the off-season so they can *GASP* do something slightly different with the damned series it can't be called what it fking is? If they took a football video-game and set it in the off-season where you and rival teams skirmish for practice could it no longer be called a football video-game, even if the gameplay was for all important aspects, exactly the same?
                        Hello? Keyword tournament mean anything to you?

I'm not interested in off season garbage. I'm playing an Unreal Tournament game to play in a tournament. Not some fancy war that uses the exact same game mechanics as a tournament in exactly the same way. Yeah, I'm sure wars are fought like that.

The fact that every game mode is exactly the same as Unreal Tournament, (bar Warfare though it's close to Assault and Onslaught) only with some weak notion of it being a way to win a war is laughable.

Capture the flag three times to win a battle in a war? Really?

It doesn't fit the name Unreal Tournament and never will.

Comment

Capture the flag three times to win a battle in a war? Really?
                          But they're not flags! They're Field LAttice Generators!

Comment

I won't go into Epics poor game support here though seems it would be off topic.
                            Their support has always been very good. They supplied several patches and expansions for a game that didn't have the popularity they thought it would.

They have always done the community right with support IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow Dancer
                              It's easier to make fun of things when you misquote and misrepresent them. They're from the intro cinematic, but he took them all out of order to make it easier for him to mock it.
                              ut3\utgame\localization\int\subtitles.int

Comment

Working...
                              X