Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ATi 5870 or 5970 overkill for ut3 on Dell 30"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ATi 5870 or 5970 overkill for ut3 on Dell 30"?

I currently have an aging 8800gtx and I want to upgrade.

I'm running a Q6600 on a 3 year old mobo (asus P5WDG2 WS Professional) with 4 gb Ram on a Dell 30" monitor (2007 model).

I'm looking to upgrade (eventually to an i7 and new everything) but was thinking about getting either a 5870 or 5970 until I build a new rig (and transferring the gpu over)

Is this gpu overkill for UT3?

Anyone else running one of these cards with ut3 and what sort of performance are you getting?

Originally posted by bambislayer99 View Post
    I currently have an aging 8800gtx and I want to upgrade.

I'm running a Q6600 on a 3 year old mobo (asus P5WDG2 WS Professional) with 4 gb Ram on a Dell 30" monitor (2007 model).

I'm looking to upgrade (eventually to an i7 and new everything) but was thinking about getting either a 5870 or 5970 until I build a new rig (and transferring the gpu over)

Is this gpu overkill for UT3?

Anyone else running one of these cards with ut3 and what sort of performance are you getting?

My HD5870 results are here(near the bottom): http://utforums.epicgames.com/showth...=680572&page=9 as well as alot of other configs.

Here is a review that includes the cards in question with UT3: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/vid...x_5.html#sect1 Just think of the HD5970 as the crossfire HD5870 results, since the 5970 is basically two 5870's in one graphic card.(On-board crossfire)

Comment

Thanks for this - that gives me exactly what I wanted to know.

So, ditching the 8800gtx for a 5870 should see a decent improvement then :-)

I had a gtx275 but it died after 10 days (apparently a common problem with a batch of Inno3D cards). I got a refund eventually and had to go back to my 8800gtx but can't decide on a 5870 or a 5970 (5970's are expensive and in short supply) as a replacement.

Of course the big question will be how good will nvidia's new cards be when they are released - the parallel performance of fermi is supposed to be something amazing but we will see.

I think I will go for a 5870 now and CF them later if need be. Stepping up from a 8800gtx to a single 5870 should be worth it anyhow.

Comment

There's no such thing as "overkill hardware" for UT3.

Comment

Originally posted by bambislayer99 View Post
          Thanks for this - that gives me exactly what I wanted to know.

So, ditching the 8800gtx for a 5870 should see a decent improvement then :-)

I had a gtx275 but it died after 10 days (apparently a common problem with a batch of Inno3D cards). I got a refund eventually and had to go back to my 8800gtx but can't decide on a 5870 or a 5970 (5970's are expensive and in short supply) as a replacement.

Of course the big question will be how good will nvidia's new cards be when they are released - the parallel performance of fermi is supposed to be something amazing but we will see.

I think I will go for a 5870 now and CF them later if need be. Stepping up from a 8800gtx to a single 5870 should be worth it anyhow.
          Going from a 8800GTX to the 5870 will yeild a huge increase in performance, but you are right. The new Nvidia cards will be out in a month or so, and I fully expect them to be faster than the current 5000 series from ATI, but at what price though. Who knows maybe the days of 7-800$ video cards are done. Hopefully the top single gpu card will be around 450$, and the next one down be around 300$ the same as ATI's. Then the prices will drop back to normal on the 5000 series. If they are a nice bit higher priced than the ATI cards then ATI will have no reason to drop their cards prices, which will be bad for us as consumers again.

Comment

Yah, I'm looking for a 5970 too. But I think they might have a new iteration/variant to that card seeing a big percentile of them are having issues.

Comment

If your just looking at UT3 performance then just keep in mind that the 4870x2 and the GTX 295 are considerably more faster then a 5870.

Comment

Originally posted by gargorias View Post
                GTX 295.
                The prices for the GTX 295 is insane $805 AUS.

But for what you get dual GPU each having 896MB not bad....but the new 300 series is looking better so I keep watch for those.

Comment

Originally posted by Zerglings View Post
                  The prices for the GTX 295 is insane $805 AUS.

But for what you get dual GPU each having 896MB not bad....but the new 300 series is looking better so I keep watch for those.
                  No there not that expensive, there between 500 to 700 at major outlets and the 5870 is slightly cheaper.

Comment

You have one what it like by any chance?

Comment

Working...
                    X