ms in stat fps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ms in stat fps

I notice some maps the ms to render a frame per second are lower than others. My best is 2.89ms, ususaly on custom maps like Campgrounds UT3 Fix... My vid card is a 4870 512 and a 1280x1024 screen of 2ms response time. When hitting 5ms and > there is a noticeable difference: for me anyways. My rig is in my sig. What is the MAJOR hardware component that dictates the ms in stat fps that will keep this < 3ms 99% of the time, the CPU or Vcard? I'm guessing the vid card but a 5870 is too rich for my blood at the moment. Thanks.

529th

Video card, that's what's rendering it and giving you the ms, you can always lower settings.

Comment

Thanks Cr4zyB4st4rd

Comment

I do believe that MS is simply 1000 / FPS (milliseconds to render a frame).
        Not sure how you notice any difference though, 16 (60hz) on an LCD and around 13 (80hz) on a CRT should be quite sufficient (monitor refresh rates).
        Are you trying to reduce mouse lag or are you benchmarking your vid card?

Comment

All graphic settings are set for fast fps; like for competition mode: even on desktop. If its the vid card, should I add another 4870 or get a 5870?

And when the ms increase above 4ms, its not mouse lag, mouse lag is inherent in the ms lag, hence the ms is the first place one should look. I have a 500hz polling rate mouse..

Comment

Originally posted by UTPlayer529th View Post
            All graphic settings are set for fast fps; like for competition mode: even on desktop. If its the vid card, should I add another 4870 or get a 5870?

And when the ms increase above 4ms, its not mouse lag, mouse lag is inherent in the ms lag, hence the ms is the first place one should look. I have a 500hz polling rate mouse..
            Not sure about your statement there because ms is obtained from FPS it's not a seperate entity.
            These days mouse lag is more likely inherrant in bad programming as this is where the critical timing routes are or perhaps just bad hardware.
            If your desiring under 3ms average then your going to require an average of over 333 FPS as like here.
            Sorry about the big screeny thats my native res and I like to show off LOL

Comment

Originally posted by gargorias View Post
              Not sure about your statement there because ms is obtained from FPS it's not a seperate entity.
              These days mouse lag is more likely inherrant in bad programming as this is where the critical timing routes are or perhaps just bad hardware.
              If your desiring under 3ms average then your going to require an average of over 333 FPS as like here.
              Some people suggest to get a faster polling mouse to cut down on input lag, but personally i think the input lag starts at the ms & fps being ms > fps - what I mean by ms being the hierarchy in the input lag is in my situation, even with 179 fps, if I have a 13ms response in rendering a frame at 179fps or whatever, the input lag is very noticeable. I just didn't know where you were going when you asked if I was trying to cut down on mouse input lag...

Comment

How bout next time you bench DM-Shrift at that res, overlooking the whole map. Then it will really be showing off. lol. Basically the higher the FPS the lower the MS, but that comes with a price as well. Screen tearing because the screen can't really display those many frames is the first thing that comes to mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Sincreator View Post
                  How bout next time you bench DM-Shrift at that res, overlooking the whole map. Then it will really be showing off. lol. Basically the higher the FPS the lower the MS, but that comes with a price as well. Screen tearing because the screen can't really display those many frames is the first thing that comes to mind.

Yes sir, one of my favourite DM levels, Shrift, just beautiful, HERE you go.
                  I can successfully play this level with 32 bots and 16xAA on

Also the higher your FPS the more strain on your GPU/s because it's processing more frames (not showing more).

Comment

Also the higher your FPS the more strain on your GPU/s because it's processing more frames (not showing more).
                    13ms x 74fps - how is it with detail mode at competition bare-bones level?

Comment

That's a little better. 74FPS as compared to 333fps. BTW there were no bots or 16x AA in that pic. It also appears that the mipmap level was toned down as well. Still not bad none the less.

BTW: It doesn't show more because it can't at 60Hz, but the video card with V-sync off will push more out none the less. Causeing screen tearing. Especially in a Crossfire/SLI setup. I know because I used to run crossfire a few months ago. To cut down on tearing, triple buffering does wonders, and v-sync usually will get rid of it all.

Comment

Hey 529, 213, whatever,

Even though you have a mouse capable of 500 or 1000 ms polling. It does not mean, that you might get increased sensitivity or reaction time. It depends on what system you are running. I run a pretty good system, overclocked and I'mm pushing it and guess what, I lag when I run 500 ms polling on my G5 logitech.

Guess I could declock, but instead I run 250 ms polling instead. Rather have the fps video power.

Comment

Some people suggest to get a faster polling mouse to cut down on input lag, but personally i think the input lag starts at the ms & fps being ms > fps - what I mean by ms being the hierarchy in the input lag is in my situation, even with 179 fps, if I have a 13ms response in rendering a frame at 179fps or whatever, the input lag is very noticeable. I just didn't know where you were going when you asked if I was trying to cut down on mouse input lag...
                          At 179 FPS you will be rendering frames on an average of 5.5ms over that second.

With vsync on or using the smoothframerate option I believe that the frames rendered to the screen are just as fast, it's just that there is a wait time before the next one is actually sent to the screen.

This avoids screen tearing on LCD's and the infamous jitter on CRT's.
                          How this effects mouse or keyboard input is totally unclear to me, I just don't see how it can!

Comment

Originally posted by Sincreator View Post
                            That's a little better. 74FPS as compared to 333fps. BTW there were no bots or 16x AA in that pic. It also appears that the mipmap level was toned down as well. Still not bad none the less.

BTW: It doesn't show more because it can't at 60Hz, but the video card with V-sync off will push more out none the less. Causeing screen tearing. Especially in a Crossfire/SLI setup. I know because I used to run crossfire a few months ago. To cut down on tearing, triple buffering does wonders, and v-sync usually will get rid of it all.
                            OOOps sorry I was testing that FPS limit on my rig got it up to 465 and an ms of 2.1.

So you can even tell when the image is in crappy jpeg format hey?

Anyway couldn't seem to upload another 2560x1600 image to photobucket so I zipped up a BMP (9mb) and JPG (1mb) shot and put them on mediafire.

Not quite at 60+ but on the ground playing I do mostly between 80 to 120!

13ms x 74fps - how is it with detail mode at competition bare-bones level?
                            Not sure what you mean there! Elaborate!

[EDIT]OOps again, sorry, double post[/EDIT]

Comment

Not sure what you mean there! Elaborate!

[EDIT]OOps again, sorry, double post[/EDIT]
                              I was curious on what type of fps you get on lowest detail settings rather than high detail mode in that particular SS of DM Shrift.

Comment

Working...
                              X