PC for my brother

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PC for my brother

My brother his own pc was busted not too long ago.
    Now i have another pc here which needs a new mobo to function again.
    It has a AGP 8x slot with this graphics card isntalled:
    http://www1.sapphiretech.com/us/prod...gpid=180&grp=3 it has 512mb ram.

The CPU is a Pentium 4 2.6GHz with 4GB DDR2 RAM.

Will this pc run UT3?

I've got a 8600m GT (which is sort of comparable with the 2600), although i've got 256mb of vram and a c2d 2.0ghz processor. I can run ut3 on medium-low settings and around 50fps.

Comment

The game is probably going to run not great on that computer. The processor I think is the major bottleneck. If you turned down the res and the graphics so it looks worse then UT2k4 it will probably run semi playable but look and run worse then 2k4.

Comment

I agree, the video card barely meets the requirements to play it and it's on an AGP bus at that, so I'm not even sure it makes 100% use of all the GPU processing power to begin with.

On top of that, UT3 (pretty much all the UT games) rely heavily on CPU processing and a P4 2.6Ghz is far from a processing monster.

If it does run it, it'll probably be unplayable at best.

Comment

Your PC is at the min spec, so it will run it at minimum quality and low fps. In other words, it will barely run it.

You really want to have a PC with at least the recommended specs to play this game. A 2.6 GHz dual core cpu or better and at least a GeForce 8600 series nvidia or HD3700 series ati PCIE graphics are needed to play this game well.

Comment

It wouldn't be worth the money invested.

Comment

You could just play UT3 on an iPhone

Comment

Yes, as some others have already said:
                It does not make much sense to buy a new graphics card.
                The whole system is not pretty strong.
                He should save the money for a new pc system!
                (Sometimes even 500 bucks could be enough! - Just say if he decides to buy a new system.)

P.S: Today's my birthday - private messages are welcome

Cheers!

Comment

For $300 USD you can get a better system.

Comment

A nice 775lga Q9550, Gigabyte UD3R P45, and 4g of 1066 is going relatively cheap these days. I still have my old quad 775 platform and its a beast. The Q9550's overclock really well too. 3.4Ghz @ 400fsb if I remember correctly and that's not even breaking a sweat! Those UD3R board will push a QUAD beyond 500fsb - I've done it. The Q9550 has a multi of 8.5 All you need is a clean powered PSU and a 4870 and you are rockin!

Comment

Working...
                    X