Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dedicated GPU for UT3's Physx, worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dedicated GPU for UT3's Physx, worth it?

I'd imagine quite a few here have upgraded gfx cards a few times ,anyone running an Nvidia 8800gt or similar as a dedicated Physx card alongside their main graphics card? If so what has been the effect on frame rates, gameplay smoothness especially in intense action where frame rates normally dip? Trying to get an idea if it's worth bothering with as I'd have to upgrade my PSU.

My brother just picked up a gtx 285, so he gave me his old 8800gt. I will soon be trying this myself. Well as soon as I pick up a game worth using it on. I will report back any issues, if I run into them. I'm gonna be getting Batman Arkham asylum for christmas. I'll report back then. If this is anything to go by then it looks VERY promising. http://xbitlabs.com/articles/video/d...x_8.html#sect2 Check the Batman benches, although they are using a gtx 275, not a 8800gt. Also look at the Cryostasis Benches. I'm hoping for similar results.

PS: I guess I may try UT3's Physx maps as well, once I install it again. I just upgraded my OS, and haven't got around to installing UT3 yet.

Comment

All UT3's physics are Physx driven though -even on stock maps not just that Ageia mod map pack and the Physx driver is loaded and used in the game with normal gameplay. What I was interested in was whether offloading to dedicated Physx GPU2 there is a large minimum frame rate improvement in multiple simultaneous collision events eg, around Warfare map center nodes etc. Where frame rates normally dive.

Comment

Originally posted by Moloko View Post
        All UT3's physics are Physx driven though -even on stock maps not just that Ageia mod map pack and the Physx driver is loaded and used in the game with normal gameplay.
        Hang on hang on, back up a sec...can you please elaborate or provide a link to this information?

Comment

As far as I knew, Nvidia Physx was only used in the Physx exclusive maps, not all of the maps. I could be wrong though, but I doubt it in this case. I mean, on the physx maps the fps plummets when physx stuff starts to happen. On the stock maps it doesn't. Well not in the same way that the physx maps do anyway.

Comment

I assumed they were involved, with the load simply put onto the cpu for Ati card users

Quote:Note that regardless of whether or not you have a PhysX card (Nvidia 8 series or above), the PhysX drivers will be installed with the game as these are needed for the normal software physics in the game.

Comment

Seen no to little difference since enabling it myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Moloko View Post
                I assumed they were involved, with the load simply put onto the cpu for Ati card users

Quote:Note that regardless of whether or not you have a PhysX card (Nvidia 8 series or above), the PhysX drivers will be installed with the game as these are needed for the normal software physics in the game.
                Software physx uses the CPU anyway, regardless of the gpu in the system. As far as I know anyway. I haven't seen anything to show that a nvidia gpu would be used in software physx, just hardware accelerated physx.

PS: What physx is being used in the regular maps anyway? Nothing reacts to signify that there is any physx being used. The enviroments do not react to anything that we do in the regular maps, just the special physx maps.

Comment

there was this phx map pack
                  from asus whit 2 map were can i find it
                  i got this new pc and i like too no
                  if the new pc can handel it can some 1 give me the info about the download

Comment

Originally posted by Sincreator View Post
                    physx is being used in the regular maps anyway? Nothing reacts to signify that there is any physx being used. The enviroments do not react to anything that we do in the regular maps, just the special physx maps.

The Physx API is at the core of UT3's physics, that's everything; collisions, gravity etc. - It's a unified physics API that can handle physics done either in SW or HW afaik, and there is a tick box for HW physics even though with a single GPU you don't see much gain.

Comment

Originally posted by coolcat22 View Post
                      there was this phx map pack
                      from asus whit 2 map were can i find it
                      i got this new pc and i like too no
                      if the new pc can handel it can some 1 give me the info about the download
                      try this link

Comment

I get a 10-20% performance boost depending on the map in my system. Then again my system is an older socket 939 with a 2.6GHz cpu and 7900GTX SLI with an Ageia PPU. I loose 10-20 fps with Hardware PhysX turned off. This depends on the map though, the PhysX maps are totally unplayable without it, and some maps are no difference. I do not think it's as noticable on newer high end systems with the latest high GHz large cache cpu's.

These are old benchmarks. I do not know of any newer ones.

Unreal Tournament III Performance

http://techgage.com/article/nvidias_...tatus_report/3

Make your own conclusions from this initial and early analysis.

This is a set of benchmarks on standard maps with and without the PPU.

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3171&p=4

UT3 PhysX Performance with GeForce

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/...ance/page4.asp

Comment

You could see more natural behaving of bio goo, and thats it.

Comment

Originally posted by oldkawman1 View Post
                            I get a 10-20% performance boost depending on the map in my system.
                            Some of those with/without results show it offers reasonable gains on stock maps. An NVidia 8800 series card or above, working as a dedicated Physx GPU2 is supposed to be 20% faster than the old Ageia PPU card too.

Comment

I had an Ageia card a while back with a 3870 and I didn't notice a thing. Invest in a new video card like a 5870.

Comment

Working...
                              X