Server Idle time before you are kicked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Server Idle time before you are kicked

This thread is just to ask the straight up question of what the community feels is a fair time to allow for idle players before they are kicked for being afk.

This is not a thread to start a huge war, just what you think a reasonable idle time should be for popular servers. (i.e. servers that always have close to the full amount of players on it often)

Many private servers have different lengths of time, while the official EPIC ones do not have a time limit (at least not that I have noticed) and sometimes certain servers (or popular servers) can end up with AFK'ers that lock a slot on the server for ages while others are trying to join.

Sometimes I have seen 1 team have as many as 4 or 5 afk people in a 10 person team so the other team rolls over them until the afk people leave or people get feed up and leave.

So what do you think is a fair amount of time for servers to set?

Remember that many times we all need to get a drink, go for a smoke, answer the phone, go for a potty break, walk the dog, paint the fence, run a marathon, etc

So what is a reasonable time. I would think either 10 min OR 15 min may be fair.

This is long enough to get a drink or bathroom break without having to rush back before you were kicked, but long enough that the map may still be going on and so new people can get in before the map ended. That is 10 min idle time for a 15 min map clock and 15 min idle time for a 20 min map clock.

So please vote EITHER 10 min OR 15 min.

If you feel a different idle time limit is needed, please state what it is and WHY, that way we can all see what you are thinking about.

Thanks.

Beer Drinkers TDM is set to 400 seconds.

Comment

2 minutes. Enough time to run to the bathroom and back

Comment

2 min wont work for chain smokers

Comment

6-7 mins are enough imo.If you need more time d/c from the server and join later.

Comment

I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but if someone is idle for 10-15 minutes, that's just being selfish. A match only lasts 15-20 minutes if you discount overtime -- people should not be spending over half of the game "reserving their spot" on the server, screwing over the rest of their team, and possibly preventing people from joining or switching teams.

I haven't pubbed War or vCTF recently, but TDM, CTF, and iCTF rarely goes into overtime, and matches are generally over in 15 minutes or less.

If I have to pick between 10 and 15 minutes, I pick 10, but I'd really want to vote for 2 minutes. UT is an incredibly fast-paced game -- how many flags can be capped in 2 minutes? Frags accumulated? Core damage done?

All reasons for staying connected to a server while being AFK for extended periods of time are selfish:
            1. Too lazy to disconnect/reconnect
            2. Wanting to preserve your score without losing 1 point for reconnecting
            3. Wanting to remain on your team (while you're crippling your team)
            4. Wanting to "reserve" your spot on the server in case it's full when you want to rejoin (disallowing active players to join the server and balance teams)

Remember that many times we all need to get a drink, go for a smoke, answer the phone, go for a potty break, walk the dog, paint the fence, run a marathon, etc
            - Getting a drink shouldn't take more than two minutes, and unless you're suffering from chronic dehydration, it won't kill you to wait until the match is over.
            - Wait until the match is over to smoke -- it gives you something to look forward to.
            - Phone calls can be tricky; you don't know how long they'll last or how important they are, and you may not have a phone near your computer, so I can understand people going AFK for phone calls.
            - Holding in your pee for 10 minutes isn't going to kill you unless you have serious medical problems. If you have irritable bowel syndrome and can't hold in your ****, you can disconnect from the server while you go potty.
            - I'm not sure if "walk the dog" is a joke category like your last two, but if the dog can't wait until the match is over, again, disconnect.

It's just common courtesy, people. And if people can't be courteous enough to disconnect on their own, then they don't have to right to complain that they timed out for being idle.

Furthermore, a lower disconnect time helps players who have "ghosts" connected to the server and can't rejoin because of it.

Peace
            -Rhykker

Comment

Originally posted by Rhykker View Post
              I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but if someone is idle for 10-15 minutes, that's just being selfish. A match only lasts 15-20 minutes if you discount overtime -- people should not be spending over half of the game "reserving their spot" on the server, screwing over the rest of their team, and possibly preventing people from joining or switching teams.

I haven't pubbed War or vCTF recently, but TDM, CTF, and iCTF rarely goes into overtime, and matches are generally over in 15 minutes or less.

If I have to pick between 10 and 15 minutes, I pick 10, but I'd really want to vote for 2 minutes. UT is an incredibly fast-paced game -- how many flags can be capped in 2 minutes? Frags accumulated? Core damage done?

All reasons for staying connected to a server while being AFK for extended periods of time are selfish:
              1. Too lazy to disconnect/reconnect
              2. Wanting to preserve your score without losing 1 point for reconnecting
              3. Wanting to remain on your team (while you're crippling your team)
              4. Wanting to "reserve" your spot on the server in case it's full when you want to rejoin (disallowing active players to join the server and balance teams)

- Getting a drink shouldn't take more than two minutes, and unless you're suffering from chronic dehydration, it won't kill you to wait until the match is over.
              - Wait until the match is over to smoke -- it gives you something to look forward to.
              - Phone calls can be tricky; you don't know how long they'll last or how important they are, and you may not have a phone near your computer, so I can understand people going AFK for phone calls.
              - Holding in your pee for 10 minutes isn't going to kill you unless you have serious medical problems. If you have irritable bowel syndrome and can't hold in your ****, you can disconnect from the server while you go potty.
              - I'm not sure if "walk the dog" is a joke category like your last two, but if the dog can't wait until the match is over, again, disconnect.

It's just common courtesy, people. And if people can't be courteous enough to disconnect on their own, then they don't have to right to complain that they timed out for being idle.

Furthermore, a lower disconnect time helps players who have "ghosts" connected to the server and can't rejoin because of it.

Peace
              -Rhykker

I agree to all but Peace.No peace during warfare :P

nice post n + 1 plus plus

Comment

You want to give a reasonable amount of time for someone to download a custom map without being kicked.

Comment

Originally posted by Taffy View Post
                  You want to give a reasonable amount of time for someone to download a custom map without being kicked.
                  That's a good point; hadn't considered that. I thought servers were able to differentiate between players that have and have not loaded in (those who haven't loaded in yet don't have listed pings if you view the player list with F1).

Peace
                  -Rhykker

Comment

I don't know how the servers see people who are dl'ng vs people who are just standing still. Perhaps the no camping mutator would be a better fit, as it judges you based on your avatars location rather than some other criteria... if you haven't moved in a while, or haven't moved more than a few inches on your screen, first it warns, then it kicks, but it doesn't ever session ban or anything, AFAIK. I do not know how it sees people who are dl'ng the map.
                    Personally, I not only leave the server, I also shut the whole game down. This is because alt+tab out of the game causes crashes, and playing windowed my cursor keeps leaving UT3 at the worst times... I usually want to be courteous and go afk in vent as well, and to access vent I have to exit the game. Startup for me is a snap, I know others it can take some time... To me, any idling is too much. I do not mean people who are dl'ng the map, and I know $hit happens, but people who do it for selfish reasons are most discourteous. (Although this guy I know, TheDrunkenSlick (no relation. Wah!) anyways, he sometimes passes out while playing, and I know he feels awful about it later, he would love that! ;P)Also, Seriously, Rhykker makes a good point about the ghosting problem with people who crash/trip on a cord/ etc.... Cheers all!

Comment

Originally posted by Rhykker View Post
                      That's a good point; hadn't considered that. I thought servers were able to differentiate between players that have and have not loaded in (those who haven't loaded in yet don't have listed pings if you view the player list with F1).

Peace
                      -Rhykker
                      Used to have players tell me they were getting kicked during a download when the idle timeout was small. Haven't had it happen since it was changed, but it may have been fixed, and maybe they can now discern between a connected player and a DLing player. Recently, I recall a player downloading for what seemed like more than the idle kick limit and he didn't get booted.

Don't know, haven't played with the timeout since it was changed a long time ago

Comment

Dloaders are a problem idd n nice to mention it Taffy.

Still.... we should think what happens mostly.A fast redirect server n a good enough line can get a map in 6-7 mins. If no redirect is avail idle time should be higher .

I think that if some admin puts a new map in ....idle times should go up.After a while with no change the admin should keep lower idle times.

This gives time to the player to dload and if he still like the map he should dload it.

Comment

15 minutes idle time?
                          That's way too much.
                          You will get kicked on any other games for that.

Are you guys sure that downloading a map is the same as idling?
                          I doubt it.
                          Idling = player stands still, does not do anything.
                          While he is downloading the map, he is not even on the map.

In my opinion, 5 minutes (as maximum) are okay.
                          Sometimes I want to drink (water!) during matches but then I think:
                          "Maybe I miss the first blood"
                          It makes no difference if you smoke, go to the bathroom, drink something etc.
                          5 minutes really should be enough for such things.
                          If you need more time, just leave.

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by Nightmare85 View Post
                            15 minutes idle time?
                            That's way too much.
                            You will get kicked on any other games for that.

Are you guys sure that downloading a map is the same as idling?
                            I doubt it.
                            Idling = player stands still, does not do anything.
                            While he is downloading the map, he is not even on the map.

In my opinion, 5 minutes (as maximum) are okay.
                            Sometimes I want to drink (water!) during matches but then I think:
                            "Maybe I miss the first blood"
                            It makes no difference if you smoke, go to the bathroom, drink something etc.
                            5 minutes really should be enough for such things.
                            If you need more time, just leave.

Cheers!
                            They ARE on the map while downloading. Some lamers spawnkill these players repeatedly as they autospawn on Raptor even if they don't have the map yet.

Comment

What?
                              No offence, but that's very stupid.
                              I just don't get it:
                              Such things are basic coding, nothing new.
                              Maybe it would be better if Epic used parts of UT2k4's code to avoid basic mistakes.
                              But okay, I'm not a coder so I cannot say if it's better to start by zero or to upgrade an old code of an old game.
                              (Or at least to use some things.)

But it's a good excuse:
                              "Man, where have you been??? We've lost the 1st round!"
                              "Sorry, I had to download the map!".
                              Too bad if it's an official map :P

Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                              X