Finally got it!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally got it!

Well, I'm new here, but I only played the original Unreal Tournament a few years back, and decided to return to the series with the 3rd one. I'm waiting on gogamer.com to deliver my pc copy, but I heard one bad thing about it. I heard most people play the game offline and the peeps who do play online make it real hard for noobs. Is this true?

Yes and no.. It really depends on who you play with.

But right now the online player base is rather dim, regardless there's plenty of TC mods and still a few good servers to have your fill with the game.

Even playing offline you'll be able to enjoy the game for awhile, don't be afraid to try out the mods and don't really take anyone in game seriously.

If you're in the US Hedsteem has some cool modded servers and a fun comunity to hang out on.
    I'm from Europe and I have a reasonable ping to their servers and play there regularly, ofcorse theres some other cool communities out there but nowadays I don't jump around servers much, the BOOM, TAW and GOW clans seem to be pretty active too.

On the european side of things there doesn't seem to be much goin on aside from some Eastern Europe servers that get a decent player base.

Also don't get trown off by negative coments about the game people like to ****** alot nowadays.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferno View Post
      Well, I'm new here, but I only played the original Unreal Tournament a few years back, and decided to return to the series with the 3rd one. I'm waiting on gogamer.com to deliver my pc copy, but I heard one bad thing about it. I heard most people play the game offline and the peeps who do play online make it real hard for noobs. Is this true?
      The biggest problem is that few people play the game in general, at least for the PC online. The online multiplayer player counts for UT3 pale in comparison to what the original UT99 and UT 2004 had. In fact, more people are probably playing UT99 and UT 2004 online today than UT3.

You'll understand more about the reasons for this after you've installed the game. Try the game before you patch it; I assume that what you'll receive in your UT3 box is the very same version of the game that people received when the game was released. Take a look at the server browser and let us know what you think of the (consolized) user interface. (When the game was released, you couldn't add Favorites in the server browser and the server browser was only barely functional.)

After you've done that, patch the game up and enjoy while having a little bit of insight into the reasons for the low online player counts. (Volumes of discussion forum content have been written about what's wrong with UT3 relative to UT99 and UT 2004 and I've probably forgotten more about all of that then most people will ever know or understand.)

Do consider getting UT 2004 so that you can play Onslaught and Invasion Monster Hunt RPG.

Comment

ViperMax TDM and DM are chicago based server and usually populated. Very good players there. So is the TDM server Beer Drinkers, very good players and chicago area based.

EDIT: despite what people are saying, there are more and more players coming to UT 3. my guess is they are sick of the simplistic twitch gaming of COD and interested in a real competitive game. People can argue that those games are more competitive but until you've tried both, you'll see there is more to UT 3 than most other games out there. And to me, the game feels more like the 99 version than UT2k4 ever did...

Good Luck and see you ingame

Comment

Originally posted by Sourpuss View Post

You'll understand more about the reasons for this after you've installed the game. Try the game before you patch it; I assume that what you'll receive in your UT3 box is the very same version of the game that people received when the game was released. Take a look at the server browser and let us know what you think of the (consolized) user interface. (When the game was released, you couldn't add Favorites in the server browser and the server browser was only barely functional.)

Just to let Ferno know:If you try it without the latest patch and Titan Expansion you wont be able to join online servers.With the patch n expansion you will be alright.

I'm sure you will find good games online. The game is hard for new guys but thats why you will enjoy it more when you'll get to learn it a bit better.

Patience at the beggining,learn the maps,move all the time and spectate some games when you can .Also read as many help topics you can in the forums.You will find anything you need to know. If you dont find something ask n someone will help you here.

Welcome to the game and the forums.

Comment

I really wish more played UT games.

Comment

Well, I'm sure my copy will be here Monday, and I hope I can find some filled servers because I overdrawn my bank account to buy the game....lmfao....but, I'll have the money to pay it back Monday...

The one thing I did shy away from is the console version of UT3 because of no mods for 360, and the whole way they do the party thing....but, I'll see how it fares...I'm a big fan of Gears of War 2 also if anyone wants to game on that...lol

Comment

Originally posted by Ferno View Post
                Well, I'm sure my copy will be here Monday, and I hope I can find some filled servers because I overdrawn my bank account to buy the game....lmfao....but, I'll have the money to pay it back Monday...

The one thing I did shy away from is the console version of UT3 because of no mods for 360, and the whole way they do the party thing....but, I'll see how it fares...I'm a big fan of Gears of War 2 also if anyone wants to game on that...lol
                The game is only like, ten bucks, right? I hope you weren't stiffed by a retailer or something.

Yes, there are still people playing the game. Odds are, you will find a couple of full servers at any time of the day. (Probably Hedsteem, GOW, etc. on the PC)

Yes, in my experience, the vets give the noobs a hard time. (At least in the PS3 version). I admit that whenever I come across someone that's better than me, or someone that is evenly matched, I just avoid them and farm the noobs (in Deathmatch). But, I wouldn't worry too much about that, since the game is pretty easy to pick up and learn right from the get-go. In no time you'll be in the "top 3" club (in which you always make the top 3 in any given game.) If Deathmatch is too competitive for you, you can always play Warfare. Warfare is a team-oriented game, so even if you aren't a great player, you are still a valuable asset to the team.

If you don't like that, there's always the bots. I admit that sometimes I enjoy playing offline against bots better than online, because if you don't join a server with less than 120 ping, your weapons lag too much.

Comment

Originally posted by Gameslaya View Post
                  ... in my experience, the vets give the noobs a hard time. (At least in the PS3 version). I admit that whenever I come across someone that's better than me, or someone that is evenly matched, I just avoid them and farm the noobs (in Deathmatch).
                  I just try to give everyone a hard time in DM.

If the newbs get beaten severely along the way, I don't mind; there's no point in going easy on them just because they're new. The only reason I'm somewhat good at the game is because I saw amazing players walk all over entire servers back in UT GOTY, and decided I wanted to do that. Endless room for improvement is part of what makes this game so fun.

Although, I think it's pretty lame that people run away from equally matched players and pick on the weaker ones. It's a valid tactic I suppose, but a better one would be to only engage equal or better players when you have sufficient weapons, health, & armor to win.

Comment

Originally posted by shombowhore View Post
                    Although, I think it's pretty lame that people run away from equally matched players and pick on the weaker ones. It's a valid tactic I suppose, but a better one would be to only engage equal or better players when you have sufficient weapons, health, & armor to win.
                    Yes, it is lame, but I do it anyway.

I want to win in Deathmatch. It is a valid tactic, because it takes me longer to kill more experienced players. I only have a limited time, so I might as well maximize the kills I get by go after the bots and newbs. An experienced player is still worth the same amount of points as the newbs, right? Here's an analogy: would you rather take a dollar bill from the top of a cabinet, or on a desk right next to it?

But, I'm not that big a jerk when I'm playing Warfare. I share things/ heal vehicles. I spread the love to the entire team.

Comment

Originally posted by Gameslaya View Post
                      I want to win in Deathmatch. It is a valid tactic, because it takes me longer to kill more experienced players. I only have a limited time, so I might as well maximize the kills I get by go after the bots and newbs. An experienced player is still worth the same amount of points as the newbs, right?
                      Yes, but killing the more experienced players will also set them back; consistently attempting to do so also helps to improve your own DM skills.

Comment

Originally posted by shombowhore View Post
                        Yes, but killing the more experienced players will also set them back; consistently attempting to do so also helps to improve your own DM skills.
                        Hmm... I haven't thought of it that way. Good point there.

Comment

Originally posted by Sourpuss View Post
                          The biggest problem is that few people play the game in general, at least for the PC online. The online multiplayer player counts for UT3 pale in comparison to what the original UT99 and UT 2004 had. In fact, more people are probably playing UT99 and UT 2004 online today than UT3.

After you've done that, patch the game up and enjoy while having a little bit of insight into the reasons for the low online player counts. (Volumes of discussion forum content have been written about what's wrong with UT3 relative to UT99 and UT 2004 and I've probably forgotten more about all of that then most people will ever know or understand.)

Do consider getting UT 2004 so that you can play Onslaught and Invasion Monster Hunt RPG.
                          I'm sure that having so-called "fans" of the series tell people not to buy it has nothing to do with the online numbers. Great job supporting your series.

Friggin' fair-weather fans.

Comment

Talking about bugs......i think that the more experienced is the player the more bugs he/she finds.

New players are more concernt with crashes n stuff that wont let em play the game imo.

Ex ut2k4 players are the ones that ask more,Based on ut2k4,.For some guys its not the bugs that create probs with the game.Its the "i've heard/read that" attitude.

UT3 is a great game and its up to us and Epic to make it better.Since UDK is done i think that some Epic guys should find some time for a patch so we wont have to see posts like"game has a lot of bugs" like a 1st reply to a new guy.

Comment

Well, I just got my game today in the mail. So, I played a bit and it's cool. The main character looks just like Dom from Gears of War. But, how do I update the game?

Comment

Working...
                              X