OMFG...Killer USERDATA.JAM!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OMFG...Killer USERDATA.JAM!

so I just came back from my peep's house(I know it's way too late). but I got something to say!

earlier today I went to my friend's house to play some PS3. He told me he wanted to test out some new mods he found on the internet. After he put the second last mod, his PS3 shut down...usually when 'I' load up a whole bunch of mods on my PS3 it freezes for a few minutes then goes back to normal. but in his case the PS3 just shut off! when he booted up his PS3, his HDD was wiped out....no music, videos, pics or anything!

we tried to see if it was the USERDATA.JAM file, so we put in some music from his External HDD(thank technology for that) and tried installing the mod again...and sure enough his PS3 behaved the same way!

as of now we are unsure of what this could mean...

what I think is that the USERDATA.JAM wasn't downloaded properly or something. he thinks someone is trying to kill everyones PS3's

what do you guys think about this?

Scary. I know Epic warns about possible dangers of running other people's mods, and I guess this is one reason why. I hope Epic finds out and can patch the game or something to prevent whatever happened from happening again.

Comment

Oh, that. Well, that's just the Upgrade mod for UT3.

It forces PS3 gamers to buy UT3 for PC.

Or, it could be the Microsoft mod, which destroys all competing technology...

Humor, in case it's not blatantly obvious. Hopefully that modmaker wasn't intentionally making a virus or whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by KingKannibal View Post
        so I just came back from my peep's house(I know it's way too late). but I got something to say!

earlier today I went to my friend's house to play some PS3. He told me he wanted to test out some new mods he found on the internet. After he put the second last mod, his PS3 shut down...usually when 'I' load up a whole bunch of mods on my PS3 it freezes for a few minutes then goes back to normal. but in his case the PS3 just shut off! when he booted up his PS3, his HDD was wiped out....no music, videos, pics or anything!

we tried to see if it was the USERDATA.JAM file, so we put in some music from his External HDD(thank technology for that) and tried installing the mod again...and sure enough his PS3 behaved the same way!

as of now we are unsure of what this could mean...

what I think is that the USERDATA.JAM wasn't downloaded properly or something. he thinks someone is trying to kill everyones PS3's

what do you guys think about this?

what mod was it?

where did your friend get this mod from, a trusted source or some P2P site?

what about your game saves on the hdd, did they get wiped too?

sounds like you were just unlucky to me, but as you haven't named the specific mod or were it came from I'd say its just a bad coincidence.

The only mod I had trouble with to date was one called Tokyo Sewer, or something like that. After installing that my PS3 froze up which required a hard reset and upon loading UT3 all the previous loaded mods had gone. I tried it again and it loaded up fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhykker View Post
          Oh, that. Well, that's just the Upgrade mod for UT3.

It forces PS3 gamers to buy UT3 for PC.

Or, it could be the Microsoft mod, which destroys all competing technology...

Humor, in case it's not blatantly obvious. Hopefully that modmaker wasn't intentionally making a virus or whatever.
          In retort, I shall find an older PS3, install Yellowdog GNU/Linux on it, and then run the GNU/Linux UT3 client on that ... when it becomes available (real soon now).

Comment

Linux is not allowed full access to the PS3 GPU... so that would not work. I know you were just kidding but thought I should say that before you go try it.

(though due to how fast the cell processor is, some people have used some of the SPUs for 3d acceleration, only limit on that is that you are stuck accessing the normal ram that is meant for applications rather than the GPU ram)

random facts day!

Comment

I did know that, actually. Thanks for the warning though, hehe. Random facts are good.

Comment

Or it was the PS3 itself.
                I don't have one myself because I know that both the PS1 & PS2 were built to purposefully **** out after so long. I have no reason to doubt that the PS3 is any different. Usually when this happens they lose their ability to read discs though.

Comment

Originally posted by SmokeRingHalo View Post
                  Or it was the PS3 itself.
                  I don't have one myself because I know that both the PS1 & PS2 were built to purposefully **** out after so long. I have no reason to doubt that the PS3 is any different. Usually when this happens they lose their ability to read discs though.
                  heheh... going off topic a bit here... but I still have two original 'grey stations' and they work as well as they did the day I got them. I have three PS2's, two older generation ones V8 or 9 I think and they are still going strong. My third PS2, which is a slim, I got for a long forgotten project and it needs a new laser, but it was like that when I got it.

However I do agree, now, that the newer gen consoles 360 and PS3 are built en masse with no care to quality... I'm on my third PS3 in 2 years and, I only ever had one 360 which gave a RROD after 9 months!

Comment

Originally posted by node357 View Post
                    In retort, I shall find an older PS3, install Yellowdog GNU/Linux on it, and then run the GNU/Linux UT3 client on that ... when it becomes available (real soon now).
                    Hahah, well played, sir. Don't worry, when UT4 comes out, I'll be forced to run it on my PS4 emulator

Comment

KingKannibal - This is a known bug. Sometimes when you dl a userdata.jam file, the dl will occur very quickly and you will be left with a very small, incomplete file (48 or 63kb). If you immediately dl the same file again, to the same file location, you will see a more thorough dl, it will take longer, and you will get the complete file. Trying to install the small, incomplete dl file will cause the hdd to become corrupt and will force the ps3 to reset/wipe. Sorry that happened, it's a bummer. Also, I got the 60gb PS3 when they first came out, and it has had ZERO troubles in over 3 years now. 5 minutes after I unpacked it I was getting a Tekken4 BEATDOWN from some 11 year old kid in Texas. Wicked easy to setup/use. The linux installation works fine, but Sony disabled linux's ability to utilize the gpu, so even if there was a linux UT3, you couldn't run it on PS3. The older ones are a little better than the newer models for custom content because they use a hardware chipset rather than the newer software emulator. Anyways, try to re download that file and see what happens. If it continues to do that, report it to the site admin, save some other dudes some trouble. Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by The Demon Slick View Post
                        KingKannibal - This is a known bug. Sometimes when you dl a userdata.jam file, the dl will occur very quickly and you will be left with a very small, incomplete file (48 or 63kb). If you immediately dl the same file again, to the same file location, you will see a more thorough dl, it will take longer, and you will get the complete file. Trying to install the small, incomplete dl file will cause the hdd to become corrupt and will force the ps3 to reset/wipe. Sorry that happened, it's a bummer. Also, I got the 60gb PS3 when they first came out, and it has had ZERO troubles in over 3 years now. 5 minutes after I unpacked it I was getting a Tekken4 BEATDOWN from some 11 year old kid in Texas. Wicked easy to setup/use. The linux installation works fine, but Sony disabled linux's ability to utilize the gpu, so even if there was a linux UT3, you couldn't run it on PS3. The older ones are a little better than the newer models for custom content because they use a hardware chipset rather than the newer software emulator. Anyways, try to re download that file and see what happens. If it continues to do that, report it to the site admin, save some other dudes some trouble. Cheers!
                        Ok, well it wasn't my PS3 it happened to, it was my friends!

We both have the new Slim model now so nothing can be done about what happened that day!

He was the one that downloaded the mods so i have exactly no idea what mod was it!

thanks for all the help guys i appreciate it....

Comment

Working...
                        X