Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My opinion on this: Epic should allow use of higher textures use in the editor and higher poly for the player characters as an option in the settings menu for those who have a fast PC.

Comment

Based on other user's experience, porting ut3 content to UDK is not difficult,
      from tactical assault team
      "As it turns out, porting to the new UDK was relatively painless and we now have our Alpha build running independent of UT3 and in pretty good shape. And, as an added bonus, the UDK makes everything look a whole lot better!"

from the haunted team
      "This version is the last release as UT3 mod.
      Our next step is to port it to UDK, release a demo and evolve The Haunted into a standalone download title."

porting ut3 maps to udk
      http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=705999

http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=707764

even ut2004 content
      http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=709605

so porting difficulties can be ruled out as a reason why epic will not port ut3.
      so what's the rationale for those that don't want it ported over?
      hopefully epic will eventually port ut3 to udk, or someone else will figure it out and port it themselves and not release it openly to avoid legal troubles.

Comment

Yep, Epic should port UT3 to UDK.
        Maps, weapons..etc are way better than the original UT3. I tried the UDK's DM_Deck and it really pwnz.

Originally posted by Hypno
        Epic should be a bit more in contact with players, there's like this huge whole between the players and epic and I think its damaging both sides. Or maybe just the players
        Agreed. :]

Comment

Ha, so it's now basically the same situation they had with UT2k3 and UT2k4 back then ... only this time they did not decide to bring out a new version of the game! This is interesting...

But is a port of the game really worth it?
          Why not making it decent with new maps, new gametypes and new stuff and turn it into an upgrade for UT3, available for a low price? Would be great and - if the netcode would be made backwards-compatible - prolong the lifespan of this marvellous shooter a great deal ... could also go hand in hand with new ad campaigns...

Anybody from Epic marketing reading here? Hehehe...

Comment

You act like all Epic has to do is recook everything, package it all up and distribute. It isn't that simple. There will be weeks, if not months, of testing. A mod team can get away with doing less, as they only have the pride to be hurt if the game fails. I doubt Epic would want to put up those resources necessary for accomplishing this task, as most anyone who has would purchase UT3 has already done so. No amount of extra engine features will make the game sell enough to recoup the investment Epic or possible publisher would need to put up for this venture. From where I stand, it is a no-brainer for not Epic NOT to port over UT3.

Besides, what added features would entice buyers to pick up the game off the store shelves?

Comment

There are currently no plans to re-release UT3. The community has all the tools it needs to come up with something really kick *** though.

Comment

Originally posted by Flak View Post
                There are currently no plans to re-release UT3. The community has all the tools it needs to come up with something really kick *** though.
                Yeah, well, if we can't use it in UT3, what good is it to us, the people who like this game and not some TC like the haunted?

Comment

UT needs something fresh, either is a UT Live, ut99 source released, ut2004 source released or at least some hope that UT players can have at the moment, the player base right is very tiny and it's decreasing and decreasing day by day. I dont think tho that Epic is aware how many faithfull fans they've got, it's frustrating to see quakelive getting players from almost every game and UT that in the past was more player friendly and overall had a bigger playerbase being totally ignored in the process. With the same concept as qlive, UT would get more popularity than UT back in 1999-2002, it's sad that only epic can't see this

Comment

Originally posted by demoniac View Post
                    Yeah, well, if we can't use it in UT3, what good is it to us, the people who like this game and not some TC like the haunted?
                    UDK is not intended to be part of, or replace, UT3. It is a free engine license that includes some killer development tools, independent of any game Epic has created. Think of it as a goodwill gesture from Epic to the development (modding) community. It is not meant as a slight to gamers in any way, shape or form. Heck, if you look at it from a gamer's point of view, you could get some great free games out of this deal.

Edit:/ hypno, I would like to see this as well. Seeing the original UT on UT3 scale hi-res textures would be great. As long as maps are kept at the HOLP design level and not cluttered with tons of useless meshes, I'd bet the newer netcode would greatly enhance the online experience.

Comment

This is a bit offtopic but I suggest you guys to watch this fragmovie, be sure you watch it in the highest quality 1440res, 50fps. Its amazing how these guy made UT1 look like that awesome and the frags are brutal also, http://own-age.com/vids/14922 . Imagine a UT1 with enhanced netcode, maybe some weapon balance also (i think the sniper rifle is way too overpowered, specially after 10 years of experience), incorporated into a browser, constant support/feedback from the community and updates. When I say UT1 it could be also UT3 optimized, or even UT2K4, or a mix of all in order to be not so high-spec required so everyone can play, from everywhere, with every standard computer. Epic has been quite supportive for the modding community and thats awesome indeed, MSUC, now UDK, but they're forgetting a big part of the community, the competitive players and the casual ones and the ones who are/intend to make the transition to that world. I know that Epic think that the competitive players are like 1% of the community but thats so wrong, see quakelive, the whole concept is around the competitive play and right now it has thousands and thousands of players, afterall we aren't that small, are we? Anyway, watch that movie, it was released yesterday and it's great! =) (btw the maker of that movie, wiz4 made a UT3 movie also, called abracadabra I guess, but he quit because UT3 demo support was so poor in the beginning)

Comment

Originally posted by hypno View Post
                        Epic should be a bit more in contact with players, there's like this huge whole between the players and epic and I think its damaging both sides. Or maybe just the players
                        Yep.

Some of you may not believe this, but this place actually used to be a real “community”, where Epic programmers, designers, and employees working on the game would engage in DAILY discussions with fans regarding a variety of UT-related topics.
                        It was very cool in that even if they didn’t put your suggestion into the game, you knew that they at least were not ignoring what the community had to say.
                        This was something that really separated Epic from the EA’s of the world, who were only interested in meeting their annual deadline for the next Madden title.

With fan interaction now all but gone completely, this forum has degenerated into a FAQ about UT3. Topics that could actually result in interesting conversation are quickly closed or deleted.

It seems to me that Epic has moved onto other projects completely; and further requests for anything involving UT3 will go unheard.
                        Ah well… c’est la vie I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by hypno
                          Its amazing how these guy made UT1 look like that awesome
                          Yeah, the S3 high-res textures I guess Or the celticwarriors project

Comment

Originally posted by Benfica View Post
                            Yeah, the S3 high-res textures I guess Or the celticwarriors project
                            ****! I wish I had known that when I did dm-conveyor :/

Comment

Originally posted by »TheHitMan« View Post
                              ****! I wish I had known that when I did dm-conveyor :/
                              The UT-GOTY 2nd CD came with high-res textures, ChaosUT and RocketArena(iirc).

Comment

Originally posted by hypno View Post
                                This is a bit offtopic but I suggest you guys to watch this fragmovie, be sure you watch it in the highest quality 1440res, 50fps. Its amazing how these guy made UT1 look like that awesome and the frags are brutal also, http://own-age.com/vids/14922 . Imagine a UT1 with enhanced netcode, maybe some weapon balance also (i think the sniper rifle is way too overpowered, specially after 10 years of experience), incorporated into a browser, constant support/feedback from the community and updates. When I say UT1 it could be also UT3 optimized, or even UT2K4, or a mix of all in order to be not so high-spec required so everyone can play, from everywhere, with every standard computer. Epic has been quite supportive for the modding community and thats awesome indeed, MSUC, now UDK, but they're forgetting a big part of the community, the competitive players and the casual ones and the ones who are/intend to make the transition to that world. I know that Epic think that the competitive players are like 1% of the community but thats so wrong, see quakelive, the whole concept is around the competitive play and right now it has thousands and thousands of players, afterall we aren't that small, are we? Anyway, watch that movie, it was released yesterday and it's great! =) (btw the maker of that movie, wiz4 made a UT3 movie also, called abracadabra I guess, but he quit because UT3 demo support was so poor in the beginning)
                                great video these guys are good

Comment

Working...
                                X