This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should Epic port UT3 to UDK?

The revised unreal engine 3 with the UDK has many nice features that UT3 lack. I think updating the game engine would significantly increase sales.

Based on other user's experience, porting ut3 content to UDK is not difficult,
    from tactical assault team
    "As it turns out, porting to the new UDK was relatively painless and we now have our Alpha build running independent of UT3 and in pretty good shape. And, as an added bonus, the UDK makes everything look a whole lot better!"

from the haunted team
    "This version is the last release as UT3 mod.
    Our next step is to port it to UDK, release a demo and evolve The Haunted into a standalone download title."

porting ut3 maps to udk
    http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=705999

http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=707764

even ut2004 content
    http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=709605

so porting difficulties can be ruled out as a reason why epic will not port ut3.
    so what's the rationale for those that don't want it ported over?

Even though it would make UT3 look Really nice, but i have a feeling it would have a very low fps for most people

Comment

Why would it have a low FPS? It's just better features

Comment

that would be a good idea but:
        -all maps maybe would have to be rebuilt with new engine version
        -there may not be backward compatibility with old-engine based maps as well as with the networking code.

Comment

I think the only thing that would have to be re-made is the lighting properties

Comment

If they did it from the UDK it would require them to recode all the stuff the udk ut3 is missing, e.g. sniper rifle.

Comment

Originally posted by marilol View Post
              If they did it from the UDK it would require them to recode all the stuff the udk ut3 is missing, e.g. sniper rifle.
              Your sig suggests you're a coder but what you're saying here suggests otherwise. You really think they coded all the stuff that's in UDK again? Or just removed the stuff that's not there?

Also: Who would vote "no" here? The people who still care about UT3 (me included) would of course want this, and the people who don't probably aren't on this forum :P

Comment

Originally posted by demoniac View Post
                Your sig suggests you're a coder but what you're saying here suggests otherwise. You really think they coded all the stuff that's in UDK again? Or just removed the stuff that's not there?

Also: Who would vote "no" here? The people who still care about UT3 (me included) would of course want this, and the people who don't probably aren't on this forum :P
                All in favour Aiiiii....

Comment

I was working on new map for UT3, but after i looked into UDK i do not feel like going back to old engine. Many more mappers and coders feel same, most will start working on some gimmick mod, then realise its just too much work for their time and drop it.

This may have same result to modding community as UT204 had to ut99, we just split with many ppl leaving.

Ps. And nothing will increase sales of UT3, its old game now and not cool for masses, only die hard fans are sticking to UT, and we all have it already.

Comment

It would make more sense to start at the beginning again. Make a new game with the whole ut3 content and give us all the engine updates. In addition to this more maps, chars, weapons, muts, gametypes etc. would be nice.
                    I know Epic said, there won't be a new ut in the next years, but I see this more as an upgrade to UT3, like UT2004 was an upgrade on UT2003.

So I voted "YES" !

Comment

+ some Xbox support... show us some love pls ^^

Comment

The guy who voted "No" should be instantly banned.
                        The guy who voted "Don't care" should be kicked several times.

Ok, seriously:
                        I doubt there will be any negative effect by updating the engine.
                        Let's hope that anything new (does not matter if updated engine or anything else) will come.
                        And even if the new features will require more cpug/gpu power, an option to turn them off would solve any problems.

Cheers!

Comment

they definitely should, but they won't.

end of story

Comment

Originally posted by Lucius2 View Post
                            they definitely should, but they won't.

end of story
                            +1...........

Comment

I Say they do what they did With UT2003 & UT2004

Fix all the bugs.........Make Some new maps and bring back some game types like Assault using the New UDK and Wala it's a new Game.......kinda lol

Comment

Working...
                              X