No announcement yet.

SHOULD THE FREE WEEKEND BE STRETCHED TO ANOTHER WEEKEND? lol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yes, but please redirect them to a newcomers servers :-) I only have a little bit of hair left from ripping it out this weekend
    it's going to be good for them too, they might even think that they master the game... well, until they buy the game and join regular servers ;-)

Comment

I played with quite a few 'noobs' on our servers and some of them was quite good. But took it easy swapping teams, not raping them etc.

In some ways there hasn't been a better time to get the game as most folks PCs can handle UT3 and the game is pretty bug free compared to when it was released.

We all just need to try and make a it a friendly place to be

But more free weekends if not weeks is what we need to keep this game alive.

Epic don't give up on the best UT ever!

Comment

Frankly, while I think it's great that Epic have done so many free weekends, I think that it has its limitations as a strategy to revive the online community, and that seems to be the wish of everyone here amirite? It's time to think of other ideas... I am also kind of surprised that Epic's way to celebrate ten years of the game that pretty much made their company what it is has been limited to a free weekend and a discount on the game, when the exact same thing has been done before. Doesn't really do it justice. But don't get me wrong, it's nice.
        More and more it's looking like what Tim Sweeney said is true.. If there's a future for the series they're leaving it more or less up to those who are left playing it.

If I were five years younger again, maybe I would be doing buttloads to improve the online community. But as my 30's get in full swing I'd kind of rather focus on my own projects I can have legal control over rather than spending all my creative time thinking about someone else's IP, especially one they've announced they're going to let 'rest'.. And therein lays the problem with that philosophy. I care a lot about UT from a nostalgic standpoint, but the world doesn't run on nostalgia unfortunately. And although perhaps that is the way Epic also sees it, there is absolutely nothing preventing them from making UT big again, except for perhaps desire/creative direction. Putting it on the fans, in any case is just the wrong thing to do.

Comment

In all honesty i wouldn't mind if they made ut3 free forever at least that
          way the community can bloom I rather have 1000s people playing and be able to choose what server to go on.. then 20 people playing daily and finding servers without bots..

that's just my 2 cents tho..

Comment

Originally posted by gwenthar View Post

that's just my 2 cents tho..
            This is my 3 x $29.99 too

Comment

Nostalgia aside, UT3 is by far the best fps on the market, and also already one of the least expensive. Epic advertising = fail, Epic game = success. ADVERTISE the **** thing, please. Honestly, any of you seen banner or website ads? Not like you do for wow or cod. Epics pr company, if they even have one, flat out suxxes. Steam will reach some people, they advertise there a bit, but they just aren't putting themselves out there enough. Now to grab my dancing shoes and a gallon of milk, and go look for Rek and that cake. I hope it's got chocolate in it somewhere.......

Comment

really re-release the game with the MSUC content and all the patches with Titan pack for a low price and ADVERTISE & PROMOTE 'UT3 Xtreme action pack' or something.... theres no fps better n this one

Comment

Maybe the problem really is these games isn't what people want any longer. Remember, when we started playing games only the real gamers played. Today, anyone plays games. Anyone. Though I guess they want games they can pop in and out of and not have to invest time in for it to repay them. Still, there should be more hardcore gamers left than what we see in the UT3 population, so Epic (Megagames), go out there and advertise!

Comment

That is not the problem at all. just that the ones who would play it don't know about it yet, if as you say most people are not 'real gamers'.. I wasn't what you call a 'real gamer' when I first tried UT either.. and I'm still not a 'real gamer' I'd argue, since Unreal is one of a small handful of series I play, period. But I didn't know about it until someone I knew gave me their disc (!) and I finally got a computer that could handle it, which wasn't until around a year later. I didn't read any gaming mags or websites. I did watch tv, but PC games have rarely been advertised thoroughly on tv. I have only ever seen a UT commercial on tv once in 10 years. Don't think I've ever seen any for Quake...

To me it's like, these are sci fi games, and yet, they don't play up the sci fi appeal. It's more like the companies who make them are almost embarassed of that aspect (we see this in the tongue in cheek explanations of the tech and corny dialogue of UT3). Sci fi fans want to be able to immerse themselves in a game and believe it is what it's saying. The first UT was both new and fresh, which is important, but also genuine and instilled belief in the idea it was what it was saying. A tournament run by some corporation with convicts and mercenaries. So when you think about that, it has come pretty far from this original premise. The ideas and references still get thrown around here and there, but if you look at UT3 as a whole that wouldn't be your first description. In fact I think anyone would be hard pressed to describe just what it was attempting to be, outside of "a futuristic fps shooter with vehicles".

Comment

Yeah, "real" wasn't a good word. I meant "hardcore" gamers. And the only game ad on TV I can remember (I've seen more, but none memorable) is indeed an Epic one (Gears Of War). Excellent choice of music, too.

Comment

Originally posted by demoniac View Post
                        Yeah, "real" wasn't a good word. I meant "hardcore" gamers. And the only game ad on TV I can remember (I've seen more, but none memorable) is indeed an Epic one (Gears Of War). Excellent choice of music, too.
                        i never saw gears of war commercial.I do however remember the old zelda 2 add on television tho..
                        seeing those awesome gfx of a old woman who tells you she cannot help you and you're like OMG who
                        can help me then...

man those nintendo boys knew how to market.. their products

Nintendo

now you're playing with power.

ut 3

The power of a 1000 servers with 5 actual people playing.... :*( .....sob..sob

*Throws ut3 dvd at epic headquarters..*

Screw you guys I'm going home...

Comment

. Excellent choice of music, too.
                          DeVotchKa-How it ends if my memory serves my correct

Comment

Originally posted by Zeus... View Post
                            DeVotchKa-How it ends if my memory serves my correct
                            I'd run memtest86 overnight if I were you

The song was Gary Jules' cover of Duran Duran's "Mad World".

Comment

Maybe they should fix the problems with the game--the ones that are partially responsible for the lower player counts to begin with--first, such as:
                              • Consolized user interface--this needs to be completely remodeled.
                              • Inability to pull up the server browser while you are on a server and the inability to adjust settings while you are on a server.
                              • Lack of first person view in the vehicles.
                              • Addition of a bad vehicle--the invisible one that lays the mine pod that cannot be destroyed. I suggest releasing updated versions of the standard maps that would omit it.
                              • Fix the vehicles so that driving them feels as good as it did in UT 2004.
                              • Restore the ability to keybind taunts and communication.
                              • Make it so that you don't need to create a new Gamespy account every time you want to change your player name.
                              • Reduce the standard movement speed in the on-foot games so that it is only 20% faster than the regular UT99 movement speed and not 50% or 100% faster.
                              • Improve the overall looks of the user interface so that it feels more like a cosmopolitan, modern futuristic FPS. Consider changing the fonts that are used in-game.
                              • Improve the MapVote menu (see the one that is currently being used in UT 2004).
                              • Release a new demo to reflect these changes.

Once that has been done, then they could try to do some inexpensive advertising that tends to have a good return on investment if there is such a thing. I do like the angle of advertising the availability of the custom content that has been made.

Comment

I'd run memtest86 overnight if I were you

The song was Gary Jules' cover of Duran Duran's "Mad World".
                                nope here

«ne» 1 »A« 0

you been spending too much time with 'nammo' m8

Comment

Working...
                                X