Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Im confuse wich OS to choose, help me out guys!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im confuse wich OS to choose, help me out guys!

At the moment im having Windows 7 RC 64 bit and Im thinking of reverting back to Windows XP 32 bit. This may look crazy, downgrading from something new to something old, but I never had Windows XP on my laptop and Windows 7 is going to expire eventualy.

I was wondering how much of a differance is between those systems ? Since XP is more like legacy system now it should be consuming less therfore being even better ?

I read around the net so many good opinions, but Id like to hear from you gamers how diffrent it is in aspect of UT3 with Windows XP.

/edit
    Sorry for a typo in title; it should be "Im confused" not "Im confuse" =P

For ut3: xp > w7 > vista. Xp is the best performance wise.

But w7 isn't bad at all, the final release is already out for businesses or like I got it through my college since I'm a computer major. I would recommend waiting a month, w7 is released in october so go for that. w7 will have directx 11 which will be something it will have over xp as far as gaming.

Comment

I am on Vista 64 bit and no issues at all. I do not think I will upgrade to Win 7 (even though I have a copy pre-ordered) unless the performance advantage is 15 to 30% more - which is highly unlikely

Comment

You should stay with a 64 bit os of some sort, to adress larger amounts of ram, 32 bit os's are limited to I think 4gbs or so, including your vid card memory. Are you playing UT3 from this laptop? System specs, please! Really curious about that. I have shista64 and I find it powerful and stable, the problem is it's ease of use factor is really bad. Basic things like folder navigation are needlessly difficult, that kind of stuff. As an os, it runs fine. I hear really good things about win7 too, but I haven't tried it.

Comment

Originally posted by Infra` View Post

But w7 isn't bad at all, the final release is already out for businesses or like I got it through my college since I'm a computer major. I would recommend waiting a month, w7 is released in october so go for that. w7 will have directx 11 which will be something it will have over xp as far as gaming.
          from what i read directx11 is just a "superset" adding onto directx10.

edit:
          Originally posted by Wikipedia
          Direct3D 11 is a strict superset of Direct3D 10.1 - all hardware and API features of version 10.1 are retained, and new features are added only when necessary for exposing new functionality

Comment

I'm liking Windows 7 quite a bit, i dropped XP for it!!

Comment

Originally posted by The Demon Slick View Post
              You should stay with a 64 bit os of some sort, to adress larger amounts of ram, 32 bit os's are limited to I think 4gbs or so, including your vid card memory. Are you playing UT3 from this laptop? System specs, please! Really curious about that. I have shista64 and I find it powerful and stable, the problem is it's ease of use factor is really bad. Basic things like folder navigation are needlessly difficult, that kind of stuff. As an os, it runs fine. I hear really good things about win7 too, but I haven't tried it.
              Yes I play UT3 on a laptop, here are the specs:
              Manufacturer is ASUS, model A7Sn-7S017C;
              Intel Core 2 Duo T8300 - 2.40GHz
              3 Gigs of RAM
              nVIDIA GeForce 9500M GS 256MB GDDR3

So far I have used two systems: Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit wich Im far from being satisfied since I couldnt actuly play UT3 on that system due to the known and common random permanent freezing problem wich I solved lately by moving into Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit RC (build 7100)

I was wondering if I move to Windows XP will I be able to squeeze more juice out of UT.

Im playing in 1024x768 and getting 90+ FPS in most maps. When it comes to real stress/heavy action it drops back to like 60-70 FPS.
              If the 90 FPS cap in multiplayer is a myth then sometimes I get 125 and up (sometimes even 16x FPS and the record was like 26X at DM-Bonescraper when I used to play at so called "legoland" gfx), but not sure if even those 125 or higher FPS being shown doesent mean its actual FPS regarding this cap. Its showing always above 90 and I think its some kind of bug if that 90 fps cap is NOT a myth.

Im also running special and modified version of forceware from laptopvideo2go.

As for performance between Vista and Windows 7 its like I dont seem to notice a differance sadly. Its not bad in general but I was thinking of XP to make it even better and also being able to play Ut99 since Windows 7 64 bit isnt compatible with UT99's UTDC program

Comment

Originally posted by Sebban View Post
                As for performance between Vista and Windows 7 its like I dont seem to notice a differance sadly. Its not bad in general but I was thinking of XP to make it even better and also being able to play Ut99 since Windows 7 64 bit isnt compatible with UT99's UTDC program
                If you don't see a difference switching from Vista to w7, you won't see a difference going from Vista to XP.

Comment

Originally posted by Infra` View Post

Depending on your system.

If you have a pretty modern system Windows 7 is a better performer then XP was. Much older systems will cope better with XP, however they might not play UT3 that well so that's not the point. But 7 is actually a step in the right direction and doing what it should. Improve on what came before

Comment

So guys... What advices you have for me ?

Comment

I would use Win7. It seems to be more optimized for multi-threaded applications. I used to get bsod with xp, and I never see that now on win7.(Just from my experiance) When you install xp it takes a nice while to get all the updates as well, and win7 has "most" of the latest drivers built in. So it's alot faster to install.

RPGWizard, I'll use your bench test comparisons to help this guy decide(from another thread,make sure to read his EDIT):

UT3 HOC Benchmark XP 32-bit vs W7 64-bit

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The benchmark started at 18.5.2009 18:48:04

System Information
                      Operating system: Microsoft Windows XP
                      System memory: 2046 MB
                      CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz
                      CPU speed: 4500 MHz
                      Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 - 896 MB
                      Comment: GPU OC'd to 734/1512/2376 MHz - completely stable
                      Benchmark Information
                      Benchmark type: Flyby
                      Demo: vCTF-Corruption
                      Motion Blur: Disabled
                      Hardware Physics: Enabled
                      Anisotropic filtering: 16×

System config:

Intel® Core ™2 Duo E8400 @ 4.0GHz (500x8)
                      Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4
                      CellShock 2x1GB @ DDR2-1000 4-4-4-8
                      EVGA GTX 260 SC 896MB @ 743/1512/2376 MHz
                      Creative SoundBlaster Audigy w/ kX Audio drivers

Unreal Tournament 3 (DVD version) v2.1

Windows XP 32-bit SP3 (Build 2600) | ForceWare 185.85 WHQL Windows XP 32-bit | AA: Disabled

Resolution: 1280×1024
                      Score = 214 FPS

Resolution: 1600×1200
                      Score = 166 FPS

**UPDATED** Added Windows 7 RC1 64-bit performance comparision.

Windows 7 RC1 64-bit (Build 7100) | ForceWare 185.85 WHQL Windows 7 64-bit | AA: Disabled

Score = 216 FPS | +0.93% (214 FPS - Win XP)

Score = 170 FPS | +2.41% (166 FPS - Win XP)

Windows 7 RC1 64-bit (Build 7100) | ForceWare 185.85 WHQL Windows 7 64-bit | AA: 4x

Score = 151 FPS | -1.32% (153 FPS - Win XP)

Score = 115 FPS | -1.74% (117 FPS - Win XP)

So it seems Windows 7 is like slightly faster with AA disabled and loses slightly to XP with AA4x enabled. The difference are very small but results are consistent after several reruns, so I think it's safe to say they're about the same. At least I'm happy Windows 7 wasn't slower. ;p

However I had some problems especially when comparing AA4x as the videos didn't end at exactly same spot (Windows 7 a fraction earlier than Windows XP) but like up to ~1 sec difference, how much 0.5 - 1 sec difference will impact on the result I don't know. The comparision with AA disabled was a bit more precise though.

EDIT: ****, now when disabling AA I suddenly had 219 FPS result as opposed to 216 FPS previously in Windows 7 and the demo ended a bit earlier than last time I booted into Windows 7. So it seems the results will vary a bit whenever you restart computer, but the results you get when doing several reruns (not rebooting meanwhile) are very consistent, only when rebooting the comp, the FPS score will vary a bit since last bootup, so the precision between Windows 7 and XP results could probably like +/- 1~2%.

NOTE: CPU speed is 4.0GHz not 4.5GHz like it says above, it's due to I'm using 8x cpu multi (and 500 FSB) and not the default

Comment

you should use lower specs for playing online, so there's no difference between xp and 7 for running ut3 (i don't count in vista cause it's ****ty and buggy).

the thing is xp still is a very good operating system that still supports everything for low spec usage while win 7 eats up 1gb ram and 1 gig of processing capability(from the CPU) so it'll leave u up with 2 rams and less than 4 gig's on CPU ... a stupid choice for some added graphical performance(added by the direct x), security(which is already provided by ur antivirus as main protection) and looks(which can be partially copied even on xp)

if u had around 5-6 gigas of ram and a cool quad it would have been worth it, but like this, i don't sugest you stick with win 7.

also, it's a new application, harder to troubleshoot and which might have hidden bugs or flaws that might make your life a nightmare to solve. few ppl know it, and everything is different so you might not even know where to get some options from or where to go when someone gives you a path that is available for xp , but different in win7.

yet, if you ahve probs running ut3 on xp, then go with 7 wtf

Comment

Originally posted by Sebban View Post
                          So guys... What advices you have for me ?
                          There are always pros and cons involved. First of all it requires time expenditure, a big con depending on how busy you are..

XP 32 bit works great but your limited to <3 Gig ram. If you only have 2 gig ram like many of us, go to XP until you forced to change. By then win 7 should be a good choice.

Vista is on it's way out now as windoze 7 will be out very soon, but that's an expensive change to make. A real big con in more ways than one..

32 bit vista and 32 bit win 7 are a waste of time and money to switch to because of the memory limits.

64 bit win 7 may have driver issues for a while after release. Vista 64 had **** video and sound drivers for like a year or more and some stuff is still broke. Many sound cards do not have 64 bit drivers. Example - Turtle Beach is one of the worse brands for driver support, no 64 bit drivers for PCI sound cards at all, even ones still on the store shelves. Very bad XP_64 problems with sound drivers.

You just may want to take the safe XP route for now. XP will be around for years and is on more hard drives than any other OS. Fewer surprises with XP, that's for sure.

Comment

I say go Win 7 64-bit.

Comment

Guys I will be eventualy forced to move to some system after Windows 7 expires... So I cant stay Win7 forever and Im not gonna buy it right after premiere... Maybe after prices cools down, but I dont know I didnt tested XP on my new comp yet thats why I was looking for feedback on the gaming matter (UT3) and overall.

Reading somebodys post - I never had problems with UT3 at XP since I never had it installed on my laptop.

Comment

Working...
                              X