Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Project feedback, please take a look.

Hello all,

Im currently at university studying games design and have been working on a project for the past few month using the unreal editor. The aim of the project was to create a visual change to game characters which can be altered in game at any time by the player. So if you increased the characters strength you would see a growth in upper body muscles, and lower body you would see an increase in speed.

This could also be taken further by making characters completly deform into somthing else with different attributes. This is all done using morph targets instead of switching meshs. I've added a link below to a video showing the muscle growth happening. I admit its not very clear but you can see the charcters strength increasing as his muscles grow.

I would much appreciate some comments on this, good or bad. So please have a look see its only about a minute long.

Thanks in advance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaY95tj99NM

lol at a guy walking into a boxing ring with a hand gun. :P

Comment

i couldnt see the mesh deformations.. aka muscle growth.
      maybe a vid just with the char on a grey brackground.

and isnt it possible to make use of something like the push modifier.. but than use an editable poly with a soft selection on faces or whatever...
      bake the vertex animation out, of the pushing anim like muscle growth within max.

and export that to Unreal engine...

but than again, i dont have clue..

Comment

This clip is abit better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nex9VXLkHsA

Comment

looks good but i m lost;
          where do u want to use it?
          u want to create a ww game or to addapt it to ut3 gametypes?
          could be fun; more muscles= high jumps.... less muscles = speed like a rocket ?

from the video it make me think to CJ in gta when he train his muscles...better visually here of course but no spectacular changes and very slow change...

i remember ut2004 bighead mutator was funny but didnt look enough serious to have success
          could be an interressant challenge to addapt this one to "a" ut3 bighead/bigmuscles version....more u kill... more u look like hulk

Comment

subtle much? crank the morphs up by a factor of 10 in the shoulder and biceps and it will become much more obvious. also it seemed to be very gradual, if I actually noticed anything. in any fast paced game stopping to make changes like that would be suicide.

Comment

Thanks for the comments guys, just what i needed. It’s more of an experiment rather than being for a specific game. In the clip it is very subtle but I think that’s got more to do with the compression, in game its quite obvious. I agree though that the speed is a factor I’ll have to consider. Thanks for the feedback, been very useful.

Comment

Originally posted by Bersy View Post
                geez.. subtle much? crank the morphs up by a factor of 10 in the shoulder and biceps and it will become much more obvious. also it seemed to be very gradual, if I actually noticed anything. in any fast paced game stopping to make changes like that would be suicide.
                yes, good argument...

You could make the game round-based though and before each round starts everybody gets like 15 seconds time to set his stats. Don't know if you had that in mind though...

Comment

yeah, it could be used for that, was meaing it to be more in game. But i agree the speed of it is a major issue.

Comment

Working...
                  X