So it has come to this....clone story..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So it has come to this....clone story..

Just like every other day I’m playing my favorite gamemode, fragging left fragging right and dieing a few times in the process. When somebody made a snide remark about the players that were playing on this specific server, well lets call it Raptor warfare server and he said and I quote :”90% of the people here are idiots”. That’s a bit of a harsh remark I thought.But I didn’t
    pay that much attention to it then, and eventually logged out and left the computer to watch some tv…

After watching tv for a bit, it’s time for some unreal again so I load up my client,and log in the game, and enter my favorite server again. I decide to spec for a bit and.. like the past few days it’s the same story again…..

Torlan……

1 side loosing
    S.P.M.A spam at base
    Tank camped on top killing spawners..
    Manta riding over people that spawn at base..
    10 russians
    people screaming about lag..
    people who grab the orb and got no clue whatsoever what to do with it..
    prime pulse spammers.
    bunnyhoppers
    Idiots screaming stupid things spamming the chat.

But you can just as well change torlan to………. Lets say.. downtown… confrontation Avalanche and well almost any other map.. there few maps that actually make overtime. Everything is rush rush rush spawn kill spam kill spawn kill spawn rush spawn kill..

There always enough players on the server but it seems to me that 90% of the people are clones of eachother… they move the same way, they use the same weapons the same way, and they run constantly to the same vehicle.. where 5 people are already waiting to do the same thing…

I can honestly count the decent players on 2 hands.. and the rest seems like a clone army to me.. And i realise that what that person said today,actually contains a hidden truth...

clones.. and the same thing over and over again…and it sucks the last remnants of intelligence out of the game..dumbing it down.. destroying online gameplay in the progress..

it makes me sad...

that's why I don't play warfare

But I get what you mean. Although occasionally I myself do quite idiotic things ... and then afterwards I'm like "what the f... did I just do?" ... it's a kind of automatism sometimes.

Comment

Sounds like you're just tired of UT3's 32/32 pub spam level. There are counters to most of those things you mention, you just probably had a bad team(they do exist), even if saying so online when you're 100 points clear of the next guy is seen as mean spirited. In a 32/32 game, we had a team member who gifted the enemy team a full health tank, up at the air node on Islander for example, that's public servers , luck of the draw.

Comment

Join a clan, scrimm other clans, maybe you can get some ggs. Try some regular games, gow sunday night custom, some other clans host stuff, some zeus thing thursday nights. Good luck!

Comment

It makes me sad how much some players complain about other players being idiots. Aside from the fact that the most vocal complainers are hardly ever good players themselves, what you aren't taking into account is that most players that you see on public servers are poor because they are: new; don't play very often; simply play to have fun instead of to win. Many posters here have been playing FPS games since they were first invented, and it seems that it is all too easy to forget that it takes years of practice to actually be any good.

It's even more sad because I have spectated the sort of players that are complained about, and what I frequently see is someone who is obviously new to the game struggling to do the best they can, then having abuse shouted at them, then they leave never to be see again. UT3 is an inherently unforgiving game in the first place, but the abuse has probably pushed more than a few players to stop playing.

Comment

That's the story of everyday... I'm lucky i haven't play warfare for a while... there's many reasons to hold people back from playing warfare imo.

Comment

UT should be 2-10 players (depending on gamemode), No vehicles and one should spawn with all weapons in ur pockets!
              Then the spawner and the spawnkiller will be more equal. Well the spawnkiller could have a shield but with 2 spawns he is down.

Thats the way its ment to be played!

I still play a lot of VCTF but thats only because it's a popular gamemode and i like flags. I only do idiotic things when others are idiots. People that vote for the same map over and over will most likely be spawnkilled by me while i wait for them to revote.

But yes people are idiots. Custom stuff was what made previous UT games so successfull to me. In UT3 only a few percent of the players play anything custom and the default content is so limited. I think even server admins that keep a server with less than 10 maps to choose from are idiots. When u played a game for 1,5 years and only had less than 10 maps to choose from it will become boring.

I love servers with multiple gamemodes and lots of custom maps and mutators (and a fairly good redirect is also needed). That will keep the game fun for a very long time. Thanks to everybody who keeps a good server online, u are not many.

I agree with Mr Evil. People say a lot of bad stuff about eachother online. Many people should be ashamed of how they behave online.
              I'm not a bad player but i can't take too much bull**** no matter if it comes from good or bad players.
              There are a few people that i dont even want to play with because they often behave bad. I just change server if they join the one im playing on.
              If people can't realize it's a game that should be played because it's fun and instead starts to flame they should not be wondering why the game is unpopular.

About how many precent are idiots in the game: My guess would be 60%.

Comment

Originally posted by gwenthar View Post
                Torlan……

1 side loosing
                S.P.M.A spam at base
                10 russians
                prime pulse spammers.
                bunnyhoppers

But you can just as well change torlan to………. Lets say.. downtown… confrontation Avalanche and well almost any other map.. there few maps that actually make overtime.
                clones.. and the same thing over and over again…and it sucks the last remnants of intelligence out of the game..dumbing it down.. destroying online gameplay in the progress..

it makes me sad...
                While I agree that many WAR games can degenerate into a mess like you described, I think there are 2 main problems:

1. Good players who are unwilling to balance teams - when teams are stacked, one side has no chance.

2. Lack of Administration - some Servers (Multiplay UK) have a stronger Admin presence, and benefit from it. Spawnkillers normally get the boot, which makes the game much better.

Normally when these 2 areas are addressed, the games improve substantially. Over the last few days I have played some excellent balanced WAR matches on the pubs, but crappy unbalanced ones as well. UT depends on a strong community, and goodwill amongst players (like a sport, if you will). If people are willing to co-operate, the quality of games improves substantially.

Also, I see no benefit in abusing new players who don't run the orb correctly. All you are doing is intimidating them and reducing the size of the potential player base.

Comment

Originally posted by gwenthar View Post
                  Just like every other day I’m playing my favorite gamemode, fragging left fragging right and dieing a few times in the process. When somebody made a snide remark about the players that were playing on this specific server, well lets call it Raptor warfare server and he said and I quote :”90% of the people here are idiots”. That’s a bit of a harsh remark I thought.But I didn’t
                  pay that much attention to it then, and eventually logged out and left the computer to watch some tv…

After watching tv for a bit, it’s time for some unreal again so I load up my client,and log in the game, and enter my favorite server again. I decide to spec for a bit and.. like the past few days it’s the same story again…..

Torlan……

1 side loosing
                  S.P.M.A spam at base
                  10 russians
                  prime pulse spammers.
                  bunnyhoppers

But you can just as well change torlan to………. Lets say.. downtown… confrontation Avalanche and well almost any other map.. there few maps that actually make overtime. Everything is rush rush rush spawn kill spam kill spawn kill spawn rush spawn kill..

There always enough players on the server but it seems to me that 90% of the people are clones of eachother… they move the same way, they use the same weapons the same way, and they run constantly to the same vehicle.. where 5 people are already waiting to do the same thing…

I can honestly count the decent players on 2 hands.. and the rest seems like a clone army to me.. And i realise that what that person said today,actually contains a hidden truth...

it makes me sad...
                  But why is no one attacking those annoying SPMA spawn rape? Because in pub everone is focused only on that silly PRIME NODE. No one takes responsibility for taking out any annoying tank spawn rape and spma spawn rape. I always tried to take out those annoying rapers. But if no one is willing to win a match then there is no choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Killing_Joke.jW View Post
                    But why is no one attacking those annoying SPMA spawn rape?
                    Because it doesn't give people a uber high score

Comment

32 players on the Raptor servers is just plain horrible due to multiple reasons. First of all, Warfare taxes the server CPU big time, so haing lots of players lag everyone connected as the server fills up. Next, most maps(except maybe Confrontation) are designed for a 12 v 12 or less.
                      Anything more would automatically result in spam even with 'good' players playing. Thirdly, having so many players starves the other servers of players. For example, if it were reduced to 24 players, the extra 8 players might play somewhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by The Demon Slick View Post
                        Because it doesn't give people a uber high score
                        On Torlan, it actually can be very good for your score to go after SPMAs: You give your team a chance to build your prime, then you are in perfect position to pick up the Berserk and take down one or both side nodes all by yourself for some nice points. All this while your team mates are getting approximately no points by throwing themselves under artillery shells running towards the prime node.

Comment

i can totally agree to the thread creator, cause its the same thing every time u play the map or in general on the server. and i even know the guy with the statement of 90% idiots: ME!

u need atleast some other good players to keep it playable. otherwise it gets spawnkill/moronic play only. too many ppl are profiting from that server having no admins. it would rain ban hammers, if ppl would behave the same on the epic servers with an admin present.

But why is no one attacking those annoying SPMA spawn rape? Because in pub everone is focused only on that silly PRIME NODE. No one takes responsibility for taking out any annoying tank spawn rape and spma spawn rape. I always tried to take out those annoying rapers. But if no one is willing to win a match then there is no choice.
                          so how u wanna kill them? walk upwards the hill and shoot the tank with link? are u really thinking u could grap a manta or raptor for killing them? its basically impossible, once the spawnkill has reached it certain level of bull**** its better not to respawn and/or feign death in a corner and wait for next round. most attempts at freeing yourself from that situation won't actually change much.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucius2 View Post
                            ...so how u wanna kill them? walk upwards the hill and shoot the tank with link? are u really thinking u could grap a manta or raptor for killing them? its basically impossible, once the spawnkill has reached it certain level of bull**** its better not to respawn and/or feign death in a corner and wait for next round. most attempts at freeing yourself from that situation won't actually change much.
                            Yes. You can take out a tank on the hill like that because no matter how many times it kills you, you spawn again immediately with full ammo. It is very possible to come back from such "impossible" situations, all it requires is for the team to never give up.

If you think other players on your team are playing badly, then tell them (politely) how they can do better. For instance today I heard someone complaining about something like "stupid noob orb carrier". That's a completely useless comment that will at best have no effect, and at worst it will demoralize the team, making them play even worse. Give advice, let them know when they are doing well instead of only saying when they do something wrong, and you will notice that everyone starts to play better.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucius2 View Post
                              so how u wanna kill them? walk upwards the hill and shoot the tank with link? are u really thinking u could grap a manta or raptor for killing them? its basically impossible, once the spawnkill has reached it certain level of bull**** its better not to respawn and/or feign death in a corner and wait for next round. most attempts at freeing yourself from that situation won't actually change much.
                              This is near enough the only time that I wait for a vehicle (Avalanche too to kill the enemy goliath ). With a manta or Raptor you can take out the SPMA/Goliath pretty easily, but the average player doesn't know how to or realise the importance. So I always find that its down to the experienced player to do this - ie you. Feigning death as one of the best players on the team is no help to anyone (except the enemy )!

As for the Raptor server, let me remind you that its 36 player. I've spoken to the Raptor guys and they don't seem to accept that the player limit is the cause of lag. Raptor servers are great until they hit 28+ players and then its not worth bothering with.

I literally do not even attempt to join a Raptor server over 28 players because of the lag, but quite happily go to a CTF Raptor server with perfect pings.

CTF, btw, is a FAR better game for those that like to frag than warfare. Its such a huge pity that the UT3 community ignored it. It was so often filled with new players that it was just no challenge. The last remaining few make it enjoyable to play. Much better for both team and individual play. In my opinion

As a final note... Torlan is one of those maps on its own.. kinda like CTF-Face and DM-Morpheus where you need a different type of player to succeed. 70-80% of kills (at least on me!) are goliath or hit and runs EVERY game. There is barely a frag involved, so its all about the vehicle use and spamming the nodes and abusing the SPMA/Goliath as much as possible. None of the other maps are similar - well that new one where 1/2 the server spawn camps is the only one thats worse :P

Comment

Working...
                              X