No announcement yet.

Default cache settings are killing custom servers and content

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use cache converter by BradG, and I run it every time I finish playing. Takes 2 seconds. Of course, I almost always sit thru the dl's, and I collect mapsses because I love to explore and play new ones so much. It baffles me why everybody doesn't feel the same way. I mean, the dude invented SPEED BOOTS for cryin out loud, and people can't sit thru a 3 minute dl? How long you think it took to make, and not get paid for it? Sheeesh. Usucc is a perfect name.

Comment

Not everyone has the time or inclination to install programs or configure things. They should, but it doesn't happen. Having sane defaults will help the game a lot.

Comment

A little OT but id love to know why in australia, you can no longer find a DM server without some wacky mutator, yet you cant find a custom map. Ironically i want the reverse lol

Comment

Keep voting for custom maps... keep posting threads like this... eventually people will figure it out.

Comment

you all forgot about us beta testers, whose game for some reason lost the ability to download new maps within the game. I just recently reinstalled the game, but that didn't help either. I am tired of troubleshooting something that should be working on the first place. What I do is:
            1. I download map packs, so I have all the favorite maps
            2. When people vote for a map I don't have, I disconnect. Find the map on the net. Download it manually, install it and reconnect to the server.
            3. I remind BlueCloud :-) that there should be a download link on pub website for all current maps votable on the game server ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by barondro View Post
              you all forgot about us beta testers, whose game for some reason lost the ability to download new maps within the game. I just recently reinstalled the game, but that didn't help either. I am tired of troubleshooting something that should be working on the first place. What I do is:
              2. When people vote for a map I don't have, I disconnect. Find the map on the net. Download it manually, install it and reconnect to the server.
              3. I remind BlueCloud :-) that there should be a download link on pub website for all current maps votable on the game server ;-)
              Haha. When you reinstall the game, try to delete(or backup) My Documents/My Games/Unreal Tournament 3 too. That will make you lose all your settings, but may help. And yes, I am working on #3.

Comment

Ah Blue.... You are such an optimist! Who knows, maybe Epic actually WILL make changes to the default settings., Me, I'm a pessimist/cynic. Cheers! Wah!

Comment

USucc solves these problems.

Comment

Someone could always make a python/perl script that just made a backup of the user's files and regex'd their settings into something better, make it into a standalone program, and try to get people to run it ... ^_^

Comment

At this point, I am just glad the game works. I forgot I had a hard time to make it work the first time I installed it. Because my game isn't in the default directory, not even on a C: drive, I had to figure out the -nohomedir command all over again.
                      Call me crazy, but I rather play the game than fiddle with errors and crashes and such ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by The Demon Slick View Post
                        Ah Blue.... You are such an optimist! Who knows, maybe Epic actually WILL make changes to the default settings., Me, I'm a pessimist/cynic. Cheers! Wah!
                        That's what I thought about the double damage Avril bug and the Orb minimap bug, but constantly getting it to their attention did work in atleast those two cases. I guess Epic does read this forum sometimes at least.

At this point, I am just glad the game works. I forgot I had a hard time to make it work the first time I installed it. Because my game isn't in the default directory, not even on a C: drive, I had to figure out the -nohomedir command all over again.
                        Call me crazy, but I rather play the game than fiddle with errors and crashes and such ;-)
                        You never said that you use -nohomedir! Anyway my game is in D: and still works without -nohomedir. If that's enabled, you should install maps, change settings, config and permissions wherever you installed it and not in 'My documents'.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueCloud View Post
                          That's what I thought about the double damage Avril bug and the Orb minimap bug, but constantly getting it to their attention did work in atleast those two cases. I guess Epic does read this forum sometimes at least.
                          I saw an interview somewhere ( i forget where) where one of the epic staff said that staff often read the forums, they just rarely post

Comment

Working...
                          X