Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Default cache settings are killing custom servers and content

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    I use cache converter by BradG, and I run it every time I finish playing. Takes 2 seconds. Of course, I almost always sit thru the dl's, and I collect mapsses because I love to explore and play new ones so much. It baffles me why everybody doesn't feel the same way. I mean, the dude invented SPEED BOOTS for cryin out loud, and people can't sit thru a 3 minute dl? How long you think it took to make, and not get paid for it? Sheeesh. Usucc is a perfect name.

    Comment


      #17
      Not everyone has the time or inclination to install programs or configure things. They should, but it doesn't happen. Having sane defaults will help the game a lot.

      Comment


        #18
        A little OT but id love to know why in australia, you can no longer find a DM server without some wacky mutator, yet you cant find a custom map. Ironically i want the reverse lol

        Comment


          #19
          Keep voting for custom maps... keep posting threads like this... eventually people will figure it out.

          Comment


            #20
            you all forgot about us beta testers, whose game for some reason lost the ability to download new maps within the game. I just recently reinstalled the game, but that didn't help either. I am tired of troubleshooting something that should be working on the first place. What I do is:
            1. I download map packs, so I have all the favorite maps
            2. When people vote for a map I don't have, I disconnect. Find the map on the net. Download it manually, install it and reconnect to the server.
            3. I remind BlueCloud :-) that there should be a download link on pub website for all current maps votable on the game server ;-)

            Comment


              #21
              Originally posted by barondro View Post
              you all forgot about us beta testers, whose game for some reason lost the ability to download new maps within the game. I just recently reinstalled the game, but that didn't help either. I am tired of troubleshooting something that should be working on the first place. What I do is:
              1. I download map packs, so I have all the favorite maps
              2. When people vote for a map I don't have, I disconnect. Find the map on the net. Download it manually, install it and reconnect to the server.
              3. I remind BlueCloud :-) that there should be a download link on pub website for all current maps votable on the game server ;-)
              Haha. When you reinstall the game, try to delete(or backup) My Documents/My Games/Unreal Tournament 3 too. That will make you lose all your settings, but may help. And yes, I am working on #3.

              Comment


                #22
                Ah Blue.... You are such an optimist! Who knows, maybe Epic actually WILL make changes to the default settings., Me, I'm a pessimist/cynic. Cheers! Wah!

                Comment


                  #23
                  Originally posted by barondro View Post
                  you all forgot about us beta testers, whose game for some reason lost the ability to download new maps within the game. I just recently reinstalled the game, but that didn't help either. I am tired of troubleshooting something that should be working on the first place. What I do is:
                  1. I download map packs, so I have all the favorite maps
                  2. When people vote for a map I don't have, I disconnect. Find the map on the net. Download it manually, install it and reconnect to the server.
                  3. I remind BlueCloud :-) that there should be a download link on pub website for all current maps votable on the game server ;-)
                  USucc solves these problems.

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Someone could always make a python/perl script that just made a backup of the user's files and regex'd their settings into something better, make it into a standalone program, and try to get people to run it ... ^_^

                    Comment


                      #25
                      At this point, I am just glad the game works. I forgot I had a hard time to make it work the first time I installed it. Because my game isn't in the default directory, not even on a C: drive, I had to figure out the -nohomedir command all over again.
                      Call me crazy, but I rather play the game than fiddle with errors and crashes and such ;-)

                      Comment


                        #26
                        Originally posted by The Demon Slick View Post
                        Ah Blue.... You are such an optimist! Who knows, maybe Epic actually WILL make changes to the default settings., Me, I'm a pessimist/cynic. Cheers! Wah!
                        That's what I thought about the double damage Avril bug and the Orb minimap bug, but constantly getting it to their attention did work in atleast those two cases. I guess Epic does read this forum sometimes at least.

                        Originally posted by barondro View Post
                        At this point, I am just glad the game works. I forgot I had a hard time to make it work the first time I installed it. Because my game isn't in the default directory, not even on a C: drive, I had to figure out the -nohomedir command all over again.
                        Call me crazy, but I rather play the game than fiddle with errors and crashes and such ;-)
                        You never said that you use -nohomedir! Anyway my game is in D: and still works without -nohomedir. If that's enabled, you should install maps, change settings, config and permissions wherever you installed it and not in 'My documents'.

                        Comment


                          #27
                          Originally posted by BlueCloud View Post
                          That's what I thought about the double damage Avril bug and the Orb minimap bug, but constantly getting it to their attention did work in atleast those two cases. I guess Epic does read this forum sometimes at least.
                          I saw an interview somewhere ( i forget where) where one of the epic staff said that staff often read the forums, they just rarely post

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X