Why is this game so unpopular?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sourpuss View Post
    I wish they would hire me! I too could "singlehandedly" save the franchise by pointing them in the right direction.
    Go on ...

Comment

I was able to play UT3 comfortably on a Socket 939 Opteron single core processor overclocked to 2.75 Ghz with 2 GB of RAM and an x800XT video card when it was released back in November of 2007. I was playing at 800 x 600 I think but it still looked good. That system wasn't overpowered at that time and was probably a merely average rig.

There are a number of reasons why UT3 failed, and perhaps computer power requirements were a factor, but the game had so many problems at its release that I doubt that that was the main problem or even a major issue. The biggest problem was that it felt like a poor console port and a buggy beta or alpha upon its release.

Comment

Originally posted by Benfica View Post
        Go on ...
        Here's what I think they need to do. Release a new single player FPS adventure type game similar to how the original Unreal was. Make the game play feel like the original UT in terms of movement, scale and weapons and include the option to play the game in co-op online and also Deathmatch and Capture-the-Flag in online multiplayer along with community-made custom mods. Market the game and let it get a huge amount of press like Crysis did.

Once the game has sold millions of copies and is a hit and has established a new fan base, then release a sequel, which would really be a combination of UT99 and UT 2004 with all of the game types. It would use the UT99 weapons along with the AVRIL and Ion Painter with an option to turn on the Mine Layer for Onslaught and Invasion (so it would have the Impact Hammer but not the Shield Gun). UT 2004 vehicles would be used and not the icky UT3 vehicles. It would offer the option of choosing UT99 or UT 2004 movement for all game types, with UT99 being the default for all game types except Onslaught and Invasion where UT 2004 movement would be the default. The translocator would be unlimited by default. In the meantime, an excellent Battle.net-like system with friends lists and what not needs to be part of the server browser.

Game types: DM, CTF, vCTF UT99 style DOMination, Assault, Bombing Run, Onslaught, Invasion.

Comment

You're talking a rehash of old games. It would be a miserable failure. I know I wouldn't buy it.

Comment

Originally posted by idro View Post
            Some days ago a guy told me that the main reason why this game was so unpopular was because it requires a rly good computer to be played online in a competitive way...
            I think you're overstating this a lot. Most gamers couldn't even tell the difference between 30fps and 100fps, and most don't play competitively either, but just on public servers or offline. You can get playable frame rates on a computer that is a long way down from the high end.

Originally posted by Taffy View Post
            You're talking a rehash of old games. It would be a miserable failure. I know I wouldn't buy it.
            Rehashes of old games can be good. In fact I've noticed a sudden renewed interest in old genres such as platformers, so there is no reason why something would not do well just because it emulated the feel of an old game.

Comment

One other problem is that those early screenshots raised expectations too high. The demo didn't really stack up to these:

[shot]http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/6306/0002646.jpg[/shot]

[shot]http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/62/unrealtournamentut3ut07.jpg[/shot]

Comment

The demo purposely omitted the highest texture detail levels for size considerations. But even the full version doesn't seem to match those.

Comment

Originally posted by Sourpuss View Post
                  Here's what I think they need to do..
                  I'm sorry but that was bad.

Here is a post I wrote last week but never submitted, just because it's a waste of time for any of us to sit here on a forum and say "I could save the franchise". First of all there would have to be a new game in the works, which as far as we've heard by now, there is not, and second, the desire from Epic to hire some of their community members to help its development. As great as that would be, I'm a realist. That said, if someone with such a plain idea thinks they could have saved the franchise, I guess it couldn't hurt to add in my 2 cents..

Originally posted by Bersy
                  I have always honestly believed that I could HELP get the franchise back to where it needs to be. To say single handedly would be egotistical but I believe I could serve as a consultant and guide the series in a way the community would get behind.

I am a very "big picture" thinker, have a good track record with the community and in some cases have actually influenced changes that made it into the game. There are features in UT3 for example that were almost definitely largely influenced by me in some way, Off the top of my head, the server browser's feature to list all game modes, the player height fix in patch 1, and also the algorithm that detects your pc's specs, although it may have had some flaws in the way it was implemented, was definitely based on my UT3 system score calculator. I had a different idea of how that should have been implemented, which would have given the user a choice. But they chose not to acknowledge the fact that they used it as inspiration and did not consult me. The game installed for many people who could run it in full detail, with 50% screen resolution and they wondered why it looked so bad. This is the kind of thing that needs extensive testing, not a rush job. My system spec calculator was obviously only based on speculation, if I had some real testing data behind it I would have done a much more accurate job.. nevertheless, it did generate a lot of interest in the game before the demo came out (100's of thousands of hits)

I used to lead a mod that was recreating UT for UT2004, we released one version before our coder decided his ideas of what should be in a UT remake were more important than the integrity of the game. This is kind of similar to what I feel the company has done with the series, they keep trying to reinvent what never needed reinventing. What is needed is a solid philosophy and attention to details that actually matter. The version we did release under my management got very wide attention and positive views from UT players the world over.

I also wrote an article called An analysis of UT2007 in early 2007, which got coverage on a long list of gaming sites. Then in 2009 coinciding with the Titan pack I did the Titan guides and Mastering UT3 videos, which in all have around 100,000 views now on my channel, not counting copies that have been made and downloads. I don't think that all these successes are coincidental, I know the series inside and out having been involved in many aspects of it from modding to competitive play, again it gives me a good "big picture view" and I think if I were in such a position, an ability to do something smart with the franchise's future.

What I'm going to say now may sound contrary to what I said earlier about reinvention, but on certain levels I believe that we are now at a point where UT must evolve and become something slightly different if they ever return to the franchise. What it needs again foremost and before any other consideration (but certainly not sacrificing them) is mass appeal. The game needs more than just a coat of paint, it needs an overhaul. When I say they reinvented what didn't need to be reinvented, I mean because so much was the same, then on certain things they arbitrarily made changes especially in ways that felt like a step backwards. Like limiting the viewpoint in a vehicle. Reinvention IS needed, but on other, much more significant levels. You could say, conceivably come up with an entirely different weapon set, or movement system, and it would still be UT. Would it be the UT we know? On some levels no, but on another level, you could look at it as an opportunity to be "born again" and feel that same feeling as when you first tried UT. We have 4 UT's now that have had the flak cannon and shock rifle, for instance. It's nice but it doesn't feel fresh anymore and that's part of why it's not talked about.

It also needs a radical fundamental change in the approach to what this tournament is, or even whether it should remain a "tournament" at all anymore. It is a good concept, but they are apparently at a loss of what to do with it. If the tournament concept WERE preserved I know exactly what would need to be focused on to make that really shine. And if it isn't preserved, I have some ideas of what it could evolve into.

You have to know how to marry what would attract the widest audience with concepts that would still feel Unreal and still make for fun competition. That's the trick. Right now it is all about "zero time to spectacle". That was what Jeff Morris preached, and it's his idea of what's fun. Which is fine, but we see what a small percentage of players really felt the same way. Both the casual players AND the competitive players managed to be alienated.. that is something difficult to do!

The first UT really worked and was played by a much larger number of people because it worked as both a fast run and gun game where you could do crazy moves, AND a game where somehow, crouching with a sniper rifle in the bushes or from a rooftop worked. There was a HUGE sniper community in that game. People talked about bringing the sniper back properly in UT3 and how that would bring back sniper players.. but the problem there was that while the sniper itself turned out pretty good, the game itself had changed too much to where sniper play did not feel right anymore. The tech itself plays some role in this, the level design plays a role, as does the style of gameplay. I am not saying I want Unreal to become a big sniper fest.. all I am saying is that what we have right now is confused game design philosophy, and that is part of the problem.

Therefore the solution is to build the game from the ground up to where it has a premise and design philosophy that makes sense for multiple styles of play.. I am being purposefully vague because I don't care to spell it out for a number of reasons. I am also well aware of the numerous other issues in the current game, but addressing each of these is like getting a meal at a restaurant, and when the waiter comes to ask how you like it, picking single peas with your fork and saying "waiter, this pea is the problem you have with your cooking."

It is when you have the proper big picture view that you can marry the details into the next game and make it a success.. Everyone has their own "favorite details", that doesn't mean everyone understands what is needed to "save the series".

Comment

bersy for president!!!

Comment

Originally posted by cdiddy View Post
                      bersy for president!!!
                      PFFFT, F that...

bersy for ut4 lead designer!!!

Comment

If I was Epic, I certainly would have you on the project Bersy if not outright leading the project. Since it looks highly unlikely there will be a "project", we're on our own and it seems to be that's what Tim Sweeney is hoping for anyway.

Comment

Hey I don't mean to knock what you wrote, but are you sure you know the gaming business/industry well enough to be able to safely say you're a "big picture thinker"? Sure one thing is being involved in the community and another working for a corporation where there may be factors you have no clue about.

You know I have these so called "big picture thinkers" tryin to tell me about video editing and other stuff I do professionally for a living and it's just kind of funny because they're so naieve to so many factors.

Also, I know the "conservative purists" are loading up their flak shells and their shock combos as we speak when you suggested remotely somthing about them not being fresh Any major overhauls again result in a 50/50 split very often, it's hard to walk that fine line between innovation and satistying the veterans I guess. I'm not one though so I dunno but its like that everywhere else.

Comment

mega:

Don't get me wrong... I know how much responsibility comes with working on a game. And I know there are a lot of other factors to consider as well. There are probably a host of reasons why I probably wouldn't be an ideal candidate for "lead" of such a project.. All I said is I believe I would at the very least make a good consultant.

There are people in Epic's employ this minute who didn't know every aspect of the games industry but they were hired from this community because they had something valuable to contribute.

When you talk about video editing, what kind of advice do you hear? I'm a firm believer that in any field, the approach should fit the project or the way the people work. That's when you're most productive and end up with the best result quickest.. for example someone who is an "expert" might tell you X software is best, but do they understand your needs and what you are trying to accomplish? vegas works for me but premiere might work better for someone else. I'm not sure I catch your parralel though, since right now it seems that there is no clear direction involved.. that is probably one of the main reasons they are letting it rest. and also it is not as if using some sort of different technical methods would make the game any better or worse. It's cutting edge stuff.. its only flaw technically is probably that it tries to do too much, and tries to incorporate stuff that doesn't fit. the faction designs have that written all over them as does the whole campaign from premise to dialogue.

In answer to the conservative purists, well every time something has been changed it has been minor. Of course the purists won't be pleased when you keep some things, just enough to bait them, but then go and change some of the best parts. All I'm suggesting is that maybe, just maybe, some of us purists would not be able to argue if the changes were so radical, that they were spending more time in fascination about what this new universe is, than bickering, because it would be clear as a bell that it wasn't intended to please purists at all but challenge everyone.. reset the playing field as it were. Not only this but if the new reimagining of it succeeded in capturing the mass interest, which it would have a much higher chance of doing if not tied down by the ball and chain of old reused concepts, "splitting the community" would be a non-issue wouldn't it?

Comment

Pfft.

3 words for you, Mr. Stefan Spatz

Probably the biggest missed opportunity in UT-history, was not getting that man deeply involved years ago, like maybe in the UT GOTY era.

And of course if he was 'un-gettable' for some reason, it's downright shameful how disgustingly cheap some of us other folks (with lesser-but-still-proven track records) would work. Like downtown Cleveland whores really, but with less class.

But anyway, carry on with the exceedingly under-informed conversation, not that it matters much anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Bersy View Post
                                mega:

Don't get me wrong... I know how much responsibility comes with working on a game. And I know there are a lot of other factors to consider as well. There are probably a host of reasons why I probably wouldn't be an ideal candidate for "lead" of such a project.. All I said is I believe I would at the very least make a good consultant.

There are people in Epic's employ this minute who didn't know every aspect of the games industry but they were hired from this community because they had something valuable to contribute.

When you talk about video editing, what kind of advice do you hear? I'm a firm believer that in any field, the approach should fit the project or the way the people work. That's when you're most productive and end up with the best result quickest.. for example someone who is an "expert" might tell you X software is best, but do they understand your needs and what you are trying to accomplish? vegas works for me but premiere might work better for someone else. I'm not sure I catch your parralel though, since right now it seems that there is no clear direction involved.. that is probably one of the main reasons they are letting it rest. and also it is not as if using some sort of different technical methods would make the game any better or worse. It's cutting edge stuff.. its only flaw technically is probably that it tries to do too much, and tries to incorporate stuff that doesn't fit. the faction designs have that written all over them as does the whole campaign from premise to dialogue.

In answer to the conservative purists, well every time something has been changed it has been minor. Of course the purists won't be pleased when you keep some things, just enough to bait them, but then go and change some of the best parts. All I'm suggesting is that maybe, just maybe, some of us purists would not be able to argue if the changes were so radical, that they were spending more time in fascination about what this new universe is, than bickering, because it would be clear as a bell that it wasn't intended to please purists at all but challenge everyone.. reset the playing field as it were. Not only this but if the new reimagining of it succeeded in capturing the mass interest, which it would have a much higher chance of doing if not tied down by the ball and chain of old reused concepts, "splitting the community" would be a non-issue wouldn't it?
                                It's not so much about video editing or anything. The stuff I cut daily goes out to air I'm my own last chain of quality control before it does. So if someone wants to film/edit something and has no idea about even the basics but is tryin to tell me how to do it, then it's just kinda funny.

Basically, you may find yourself bound by all kinds of corporate bs to where you'll realize people who are there now may have wanted the same thing but can't do it due to the publisher goin crazy, the shareholders goin nuts, and the board of directors going berserk and juggernaut later

Comment

Working...
                                X