Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I thought I was buying UT, not Gears of War...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Title says it all. What the hell is this ****? I spent $20 on Gears of War, apparently, when I believed I would be getting Unreal Tournament 3.

Why is there no contrast between textures, particularly character models and backgrounds?

Why are the colors as a whole drastically muted instead of vibrant and visible?

Why are the weapons terribly balanced, and why does the Shock Rifle not hit where you point it at?

What happened to dodge-jumping? What happened to being able to actually jump? Did those absurdly hyper-masculine characters eat too many pounds of raw red meat and drink too many protein shakes?

What happened to being able to click-hold to instantly switch back to your weapon after using the Translocator? What happened to being able to press Q again to receive a miniature camera?

In short: Where is the Unreal Tournament in Unreal Tournament 3? It seems like it's a UT game in name only - the weapons all use the same names, but they all function differently from their previous counterparts, and do a significantly different amount of damage (for example, the minigun is actually useful now.)

Feels like I paid $20 for some ******* console game instead of a proper PC shooter. Hopefully the mod contest will produce something useful (like, say, UT2004 using the new engine, or maybe a new Red Orchestra), otherwise it seems like this was a terrific waste of $20. Why in the hell did Epic think that PC gamers would be satisfied by the diluted, rancid spew they foist on console gamers?

gears of war is a bigger hit then ut3 (dont flame cuz its a fact)

Comment

We've heard this all many times before . You're 2 years too late.

Comment

Sadly you were mistaken.

Comment

there is great stuff coming out of the contest but unless you play it all offline you wont see it. UT2k4 has lots of online activity, see you there

Comment

Originally posted by Taffy View Post
            We've heard this all many times before . You're 2 years too late.
            lol taffy!!

Comment

Wow, yet another whiny UT2004 player who expected an exact duplicate. I thought these guys were long gone.

Originally posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
              Why is there no contrast between textures, particularly character models and backgrounds? Why are the colors as a whole drastically muted instead of vibrant and visible?
              There is, but not so much at default config. Characters are actually more visible than in UT2004. Play around with the in game settings if you want the levels to look bright and colorful.

Why are the weapons terribly balanced, and why does the Shock Rifle not hit where you point it at?
              The weapons are balanced much better than UT2004, and the shock rifle DOES hit where you want it. The animation just a little off, unless your weapon is centered or hidden. This is a programming issue that existed in UT2004 as well.

What happened to dodge-jumping? What happened to being able to actually jump? Did those absurdly hyper-masculine characters eat too many pounds of raw red meat and drink too many protein shakes?
              No, Epic decided to make the movement more like the original UT. Dodge jumping was horribly unnecessary and participated in making the game so hitscan dominated. It's funny you whine about getting Gears when so many of the changes are reminiscent of the first UT.

What happened to being able to click-hold to instantly switch back to your weapon after using the Translocator? What happened to being able to press Q again to receive a miniature camera?
              I've never heard of that first bit of functionality, probably because I use weapon binds. Try them, you can switch to any weapon you want whenever you want. And hardly anyone ever used the xloc cam, it was a dud feature. You are the first I've heard missing it.

In short: Where is the Unreal Tournament in Unreal Tournament 3? It seems like it's a UT game in name only - the weapons all use the same names, but they all function differently from their previous counterparts, and do a significantly different amount of damage (for example, the minigun is actually useful now.)
              You obviously don't know what Unreal Tournament plays like, and it's clear you just want another UT2004. Why don't you go play UT2004? Or better yet, go play Gears and realize how it's gameplay is nothing like UT3.

Comment

My friend pre-ordered UT3 because his local GAME were giving out T-Shirts as a pre-order bonus. However what they didn't say was the T-Shirts were Gears of War shirts.

I'm sure in time everyone will appreciate the irony of that. And also the ironing.

Comment

I have to agree with you Pizza, I don't understand where Epic gets its art direction from. I ain't saying it's terrible but I'm definitely not a fan.

Comment

Originally posted by Kev_Boy View Post
                    I have to agree with you Pizza, I don't understand where Epic gets its art direction from. I ain't saying it's terrible but I'm definitely not a fan.
                    Yup.
                    I'd like to see clean BSP maps like in UT'99, but with sharper textures, better models and lighting and some cool effects (very slight HDR, maybe? something that doesn't affect gameplay).

Comment

I feel your sorrow, but keep playing UT3 it has nice graphics and try to bear with all glitches and bugs that are so stupid so u cant stop wondering how professional game developers could make such a mistake.

I have also been asking those question and many more. I cant understand why they didnt add more gamemodes. old ut games had a lot of fun gamemodes but instead they make new gamemodes like Greed for instance. Greed was an unofficial unsuccessfull gametype in UT2003, why would it be more popular now?

Can't believe they left out fun stuff like bombing run and assult! ...and instead they had Greed :S

I really hope Epic has more success when UT4 comes out in 10 years or so.
                      I'll try to wait.

I also tried gears of war. It might be more popular but i dont see why. gears look kinda nice but any old ut game has better gameplay...

It sure feels like UT has devolved and became like that old ut99. so many improvements have been done over the years, by epic and by the community but they throw most of that away. Instead of taking UT2004 and cool mods and mutators that community made and improve that they just throw away and start almost from scratch. Why take away 10 years of ut evolvment. Feels like the 90s again. UT3 is an old game with modern looks.

Comment

just keep playing it you get used to the gameplay,i played every unreal game too and yea.. ut3 is a bit different but after a while you get used to the 16 color textures and tunnel darkness.

Everything combined its still unreal tho,unreal tournamet has always been an adrenaline game the third installment of the series didn't change anything in that regard but yea they consoledolised the stuf a bit to much.. i agree with you there..

Oh and weapons aren't balanced at all imo just keep playing you notice soon enough ^^ .

Comment

Working...
                        X