Let's time travel a bit ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's time travel a bit ...

Mike Capps perspective in 2005 or 2006(?). An interview for a XBox enthusiast site:
    http://www.gametrailers.com/user-mov...nterview/48377

Incomplete and probably innacurate transciption here and there, sorry. It's a 9 min interview, check out the video for the real deal.

#1 @0:13 Will Bombing Run make it's way to consoles?
    Bombing run ... is a fun gametype but it just wasn't popular online. It's like DDOM. I loove DOM an DDOM and we did it again, sort of, for UC2. But nobody played it ... And the way we build levels, we don't just substitute in the gametype <hard to understand>, we build levels around it and you'd not want to spend 30% of our time on a game type noone will ever play, we'd rather spend that time on more warfare levels or deathmatch levels, so..

#2 @0:47 Will I be able to wall-double-dodge jump?
    We are trying to take out just a bit of that hardcore edge of insanity. I'm not expecting that to go in, but I absolutely reserve the right to keep what's fun. Ask me again when we're ready to ship. That's the kind of stuff that changes at the last minute.

#3 @1:12 Is there a release date set for the game yet?
    We've always been a "done when it's fun" shop. We want to polish it till it's great. We've learned a great lesson with UT99: it was ready to ship and then we got stuck with some contract BS and 6 months of polish went on before we shipped it and the game was an huge hit and we said: that's we got to do... We also learned a valuable lesson last year with GoW, that aiming at a date and hitting it and finding the right sweet spot on the market is actually good business. So, there's lots of guys wanting this to come out in 2007

#4 @1:55 Will there be cross platform play over the internet?
    Not currently but we're interested in it... The way to do cross platform play with XBox and PC is supporting Games for Windows Live and we havent commited to that yet. The way to do between PS3 and PC is NOT be on GWL and and we havent commited to that yet either. There's a lot of businesses cases for both but it's the most important thing on my mind right now.

#5 @2:20 Will UT3 support mods via Xbox live?
    They want to certify mods, it goes through the XBox live portal ...takes tons of effort and ex pertise, I don't see that happening anytime soon. It's devastating to me, we so support the mod community. That's our lifeline... We sold UT2004 for 4 years because those folks making cool new content all the time for it...

#6 @3:11 Will mod communities be built for consoles like we see on the PC?
    <parts skipped>... you can't ship content because Microsoft is afraid of what you might put into it...<skipped> Last thing we want is to close the PC platform ...

#7 @3:44 Can mods made on PC in Unreal Editor play on XBox360 and PS3 games?
    <skipped, sorry>

#8 @4:27 How many players are supported on XBox 360 and how is the lobby and matchmaking being handled?
    So, lobby will be handled better than last time on XBox360, we have more time now.... # of players: we haven't optimized yet, we're not at the point we figured out what a server can pull off, but we're getting there.

@4:50 (Come on... Isn't there a number you are aiming at?)
    We want parity right, we want 32 players on both. And I'd like to see more on PC and Linux if we do it... (if we do Linux)

#9 @5:07 How heavy is the importance of making UT3 a good game in the line of excellent UT games?
    Wow ... wow ... (followed by 30 seconds of hesitation and blah blah )... I think we've stumbled a little bit with the Unreal franchise recently and so I think ... it's higher than it's ever been. I know I can sell 1 million copies...on PC, that's not the challenge. The challenge is to make the people that bought UT99 and chnaged the way people play games, to do it again. We tried with UC2 and it didn't work, we tried to change things and do something very different, it wasn't what people wanted out of our franchise, the game was too f'ing hard...

It's scary to me that people were asking if we know how to make PC games, we've done it for 16 years, we shipped GoW and suddenly "we know you can make console games, what do you really know about the PC market?". I mean, come on, 3 years ago people were like "you guys can't make a console game, are you kidding?". So yeah, we absolutely have to deliver to our PC costumer base and do it right. If we ship another game that is an high eighties type review, I don't know I'll do another one unless we're contractually bound to it or something like that. We'll try something else but we want to get this one right. They have everything, it's the GoW guys, it's a bigger team than Unreal has ever had, eveyone is so focused on it. Everything is there, it's all come together just right and we will see

#10 @7:00 Why the sudden focus on single player? Will it be more than UT3 with bots?
    It better be more than UT3 with bots.... The fact we're shipping on console, those are the markets more interested in SP... And the other is, just running the numbers on UT2003, we were really shocked that the number of players that converted to online was such a small %, less than half of our players for the ultimate hardcore multiplayer game. That's why UC2 was so focused so much more on SP, melee and trying to do different things from fast multiplayer gameplay and it didn't work. And Gears was our next step, let's do something really built around a story and SP, multiplayer was almost an after thought in terms of development budget. We learned a great lesson there which is those sold really well on console and we can do it, which was the scary thing. Now we feel "we can do it" and I think we got a good shot

#11 @8:03 How many bots will there be in UT3?
    The same as player count. Bots are actually more expensive for a server than players over the network.... my assumption

#12 @8:27 Will bullet lag be a factor like in Gears of War?
    In multiplayer gaming it's kinda the standard that you have zero ping on your server and everybody else has 30 to 5000 depending on what they are and what they're doing

@8:41 (Ok so what about minimizing bullet lag?
    I think we've been the best in business at doing that. UT99 was state of the art and we've maintained that same network code and built on top of it. Anything that's different between GoW vs UT2004 is due to the infrastructure of the XBox360 or XBL or whatever else but it's still the same the way we organize packets, compress them and get data out, slightly optimized actually. I think UT3 will have a better game experience on the network than UT2004 did, because it's evolutionary and the world of IP networking hasn't changed at all.

Comments ?

They should have ignored GoW and "deeper" single player, they should have preserved all gameplay mechanics (and Afro hair!) from UT2004, all old mods like Assault, Domination and Bombing Run (the more the merrier), and with new creative mods like Greed and its excellent graphics, UT3 would be the best installment of the UT series.

But nooo...

Comment

By now, we are all aware of the community opinion regarding UT3. People are divided etc. etc.

Has anyone cared to think what the developers themselves think about the game - the guys who spent time, blood, sweat and tears on the game and getting it ready? From pre-launch through to post-launch, they must have been on a rollercoaster. It cannot have been easy.

Criticising all aspects is easy for the random commenter on this forum.
      I have seen some appreciation threads, but way more moaning/whining ones. Personally I think they deserve a lot of appreciation from those of us that love the game. They did a great job with post-release support, and for me at least, deserve a lot of credit for making the best arcade FPS out there.

EDIT: Sorry that was a bit OT. The interview is interesting. There is a lot of foreshadowing there about the way things turned out, don't you think?

Comment

Some time back on the BU forum, Jeff Morris asked how pc gamers think pc title releases should be handled in the future. Since then, it looks like what some studios are doing is releasing the pc version last(but still,at least, releasing) usually a few months after console versions hit, to defeat the big new game piracy problem.
        Imo, we should have no problem with this wait, if it means we still ,at least get the game. These months should allow better optimization for pc- allowing for better effects using that pc power, like all that underutilized PC graphics memory Jeff Morris talked about - and since they will have had it for 2-3 months already, console kids won't be kicking up a fuss that it looks better on pc.

Comment

Take out the insanity? lame excuse for not making wall-dodging useful/chainable.

Originally posted by Masaai_Warrior View Post
          By now, we are all aware of the community opinion regarding UT3. People are divided etc. etc.

Has anyone cared to think what the developers themselves think about the game - the guys who spent time, blood, sweat and tears on the game and getting it ready? From pre-launch through to post-launch, they must have been on a rollercoaster. It cannot have been easy.

Criticising all aspects is easy for the random commenter on this forum.
          I have seen some appreciation threads, but way more moaning/whining ones. Personally I think they deserve a lot of appreciation from those of us that love the game. They did a great job with post-release support, and for me at least, deserve a lot of credit for making the best arcade FPS out there.
          The idea of how much work goes in to games always comes to mind, and struck me especially with UT3, as it looks so nice, and clearly shows a lot of professionalism and work. It's a hell of a thing to get a game out with the absurd budgets, time, and teams involved in gaming these days. I'm grateful both for the game and especially the editor. But as a fan of the series, and gaming in general, the work and effort put into the game is separate from the design decisions to me.

Visually UT3 went to a less colorful, rubble filled, metal future, with the no-necked violent and bleak style of Gears more than any of the old Unreal games. There are some levels I like, I'm not saying I totally hate it visually by any means, but I feel many things could have been done to make it stand out much more as a part of the franchise and as a shooter in general. More focus on the Tournament instead of a cheesy story (where you kill your sister a bunch at the start, then she dies at the end), more atmosphere, more color, more fantastic locations, etc.

As gameplay goes, I think it's also too fatalistic, and certain things don't make sense...dividing one regular jump into two half-jumps for instance, and doing things like removing maneuverability and not pushing ideas to go as far/as interesting as they could go. What they've come up with I certainly respect, and it works, but everyone being so divided shows that there's plenty that can be improved. Game developers are gamers too, so have as wide an array of tastes, history, and ideas as anyone. I'd love to be at the table sitting down in some of teams involved with the games I've loved and talk gameplay and design choices with them. And my goal in the industry is to do just that. My ideas and thoughts on different games, while they may be critical, aren't to hate on the game, it's because I love gaming, and know that I've seen some of the best out there, and think there's a ton of potential to still be had with nearly any idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Masaai_Warrior
            Has anyone cared to think what the developers themselves think about the game ...
            I'm not going to be an hypocrite and say that I agree at 100% with their decisions, I'm even more frustrated now that they threw the franchise to the Recycle Bin. That said, you couldn't describe better what I think and feel.

But you know, what really enfuriated me for so long were the passive-agressive attitudes of the ones that know they are safe behind the keyboard; the ones that feel the need to badmouth and then speak on other's behalf to create the illusion of a negativism that isn't so broad or sometimes doesn't even exist; the ones that fuel fires or make personal attacks to Epic employees because of an UT release why playing the other. The ones that make an effort to divide the community on purpose and have some sort of twisted fun doing so. Or through their obsessive and long lasting rants killed the game and the scene they claimed that wanted to defend!

Originally posted by Masaai_Warrior
            There is a lot of foreshadowing there about the way things turned out, don't you think?
            Yes, I find some parts very interesting:

Will I be able to wall-double-dodge jump?
            We are trying to take out just a bit of that hardcore edge of insanity. I'm not expecting that to go in, but I absolutely reserve the right to keep what's fun.
            So, the dude considers those acrobatics insanity , BUT he knows that more movement freedom and creativity are fun. Worse, it seems that they were "afraid" or hesitated to keep fun stuff
            Will there be cross platform play over the internet?
            Not currently but we're interested in it... The way to do cross platform play with XBox and PC is supporting Games for Windows Live and we havent commited to that yet. The way to do between PS3 and PC is NOT be on GWL and and we havent commited to that yet either. There's a lot of businesses cases for both but it's the most important thing on my mind right now.
            Yeah, the most important thing on the PRESIDENT's mind didn't really make it. But it was quite possible all along. I wonder if 1 year of PC vs console flamefests had anything to do with it
            #9 @5:07 How heavy is the importance of making UT3 a good game in the line of excellent UT games?
            ... The challenge is to make the people that bought UT99 and chnaged the way people play games, to do it again.
            Now this is the part that puzzeld me the most . I _was_ convinced that what degraded UT3 was trying to make it like UT99. For me it's not. UT is not an "hardcore edge of insanity", but it's fun. It's not only nostalgia, it's pleasant, it plays well, still looks great (at least with hi-res textures and for a guy used to retro gaming) and feels good! I insist, if UT3 was a middle-ground between UT99 and UT2004 (even if favouring UT99 somewhat), it would have been a blast. For the older players of the series AND the ones that started with UT2004.

However sometimes I feel that UT3 is a mix between UT and current dull popular FPS with vehicles thrown at it. Even UT99 fans feel that "something is wrong but I can't pinpoint exactly what it is", "it's boring and not fun", "it's still not like UT99". I tend to agree. UT3 looks dull, depressive, restricted, serious. It's just if someone picked UT2007, changed an handful of lines of code, commented out what would be enjoyable or fun, and sent it beyond what UT99 was all about. I still consider UT3 a great game, tons of players love it like that, and by selling 1 million copies it was mildly successful, but ffs ...

It's scary to me that people were asking if we know how to make PC games, we've done it for 16 years, we shipped GoW and suddenly "we know you can make console games, what do you really know about the PC market?". I mean, come on, 3 years ago people were like "you guys can't make a console game, are you kidding?". So yeah, we absolutely have to deliver to our PC costumer base and do it right.
            I see. So, they had PC gamers in mind, not Unreal Tournament fans. Psst, that's not the same! Yes, it started on the PC but the center of UT's universe is UT. When in doubt, PC gaming influences are secondary to preserving UT's sci-fi, "free-for-all", fast paced, unrealistic spirit.

At least UT2004 players can now stop complaining that the game(play) was "dumbed down for consoles", nope it didn't happen like that.

If we ship another game that is an high eighties type review, I don't know I'll do another one unless we're contractually bound to it or something like that.
            I saw it coming a long time ago I just hope he gets the perspective that there are and forever will be hundreds of thousands or millions of TRUE fans out there Then maybe a multi-million $US investment is not required. I don't know how much it costed, but afaik L4D was released just with an handful of maps over a mature engine, it's popular and it's considered an "AAA" game.

Comment

Originally posted by Benfica View Post
              [...]
              #2 @0:47 Will I be able to wall-double-dodge jump?
              We are trying to take out just a bit of that hardcore edge of insanity. I'm not expecting that to go in, but I absolutely reserve the right to keep what's fun. Ask me again when we're ready to ship. That's the kind of stuff that changes at the last minute.
              Right @ question #2 they got it wrong....

"hardcore edge of insanity" ... so they removed "Unreal" from the game....

Comment

Honestly, why are people still analyzing this ****?

Comment

Originally posted by Bersy
                  Honestly, why are people still analyzing this ****?
                  Because I'm a fan(atic) of the series and I like to check out these gory details, as I do about the Benfica football team

Comment

How can they make a new game with more glitches and bugs than before. With less content when it comes to gametypes and maps. Bad menues and exclude a lot of features that older ut games had and to top that off with a new feature: you have to login to play. And sometimes you cant login for various reasons even though u paid 50 bucks.

I wish they would have corrected and made the game at least equal to the older ut versions before they released it. I could have waited 2 more years to get a great ut game than a half built ut game with a lot of TODOs left.

Still today there is a great load of work to make it as cool as older ut games was.
                    I still play UT3 cause i like the new graphics even though the game isnt as great as old ut games when it comes to gameplay. I still think it's the best FPS game that has come out since UT2004.

Long live UT series!

Comment

Working...
                    X