A Plea to EPIC...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Plea to EPIC...

There are those of us out there who have played UT since the beginning with UT99. (some of us even go back to Unreal). Personally I LOVE UT in general. It is an awesome FPS. (The best in my opinion) but there is a problem. It has not hit the Halo/Gears of War status of being one of the most played XBox games ever. So I don't get to play it much because everyone wants to play something else.

UT has been around longer than both Halo and Gears. We have a strong hardcore fan base, so what is the problem?
    1. Graphics: Some of the best Graphics out there today.
    2. Multiplayer: Game types a plenty, options a plenty. Awesome Maps. I have yet to play a noticeably laggy game.
    3. Single Player: Um what's the difference from single player to multiplayer? um... replace bots with people? That's about it.

Ok so I know UT has usually been designed for pushing the limits of the unreal engine, and so much attention has been placed on the game play (well deserved attention), that the story line... well lets face it UT3 probably has the best storyline of the UT series and that's not saying much at all. So my plea: For the next UT can we get and Unreal/Unreal Tournament combo? Can we get a great story line for single player/co-op and keep the awesome multiplayer that we all know and love? UT needs to be in the lime light where it deserves to be.

Anyone else know what I'm talking about?

I think UT3 showed that trying to add a story to UT doesn't help in any way. Furthermore, weapons that work well in single-player tend to work poorly in multiplayer, plus multiplayer needs separate maps anyway (except co-op), so I can't see any reason to integrate the two.

Comment

A story would have been nice.Not a pract the game modes story but a real 1.It would bring more guys to the game i think.
      The only thing that concerns me is that a story will take time from the developers from the multiplayer part of the game that is the only thing i care for.I really dont wanna see another half finished ut tbh.Better to leave the story, if they dont have the time or willing to spent more ,for a great multiplayer.

I didnt vote cause there is no option that expresses my opinion.Im between the 1st two.

Comment

Well I have a sort of a semi-theory that MS or Sony could stick their nameplates on a dog **** and sell about a million copies just on the basis of the fact that they are multi-billion dollar mega corporations and everybody in the world will automatically buy anything they put out no matter what it is... and GOW got some action because Epic emulated the kind of game Sony and MS like to publish...

But I'm just grabbing at straws. Who knows what goes on with the consumer. Lemmings, all of them. Bah.

Comment

Wanna hear something?

There will be no UT4.. And I'm fine with that.

Comment

you guys are missing the important stuff....

UT99 is the most played UT, and it always will be NO MATTER HOW GOOD UT4 IS GOING TO BE!

Here is what I think...WHY would you make a game exactly as the first game, and rewrite everything? why not just make a patch/expansion for UT99. Tthis will just increase the textures/model details/etc...but not change the engine or the way people walk or anything. Its kind of like...turn up the graphics. Oh, dont tell me this is impossible, because World of Warcraft developers have already done it, why not UT?

Since you didnt change the engine/the way people move/etc...you can still play on the original non expansion UT99 servers if you got the patch/expansion.

Because what UT3 looks like is....Original UT99 with better graphics/textures, but with a lot of dumb things added like the spider mines and invisible vehicles (seriously, how mentally challenged do you have to be to think of that?)..oh, not to mention that you cant jump higher than 1 inch.

Edit:

Oh and umm..to answer your post/poll...no, we dont need a storyline...the worst campaign out of all UT series in my opinion was UT3. I personally enjoyed the UT2004 "campaign" the most...it was more of like a TOURNAMENT, which is what its supposed to be in the first place? I also liked the way you had points/credits, no storyline that made no sence. you actually got to pick your own team in ut2004, unlike ut3.

Comment

Originally posted by Stabby View Post
              Oh and umm..to answer your post/poll...no, we dont need a storyline...the worst campaign out of all UT series in my opinion was UT3. I personally enjoyed the UT2004 "campaign" the most...it was more of like a TOURNAMENT, which is what its supposed to be in the first place? I also liked the way you had points/credits, no storyline that made no sence. you actually got to pick your own team in ut2004, unlike ut3.
              Completely agree with you on that point. I think UT should stay as a tournament rather than having a story. There's prolly plenty of ways to spice up that 2k4 style tournament campaign style.

Comment

Epic needs to put the "Tournament" back into Unreal Tournament...

An Unreal 3 would be great but combining the 2 is a technical pain in the *** and will most likely fail.
                The resources, time and effort to keep both parts of equal and high quality would take way too much time\money to get the game done.

In my opinion they should make UT a have a real Tournament feel.
                Call of Duty 4 (and other games aswell) has leveling a system the higher the exp and rank the more weapons and perks you get, so maybe if they did something similar like have tournament "credits" that are permantly awarded to the player allowing him to access variants of the weapons or even vehicles and character customization parts.

The training mode should be similar to UT2004 not a fkn war driven cinematic and bot mashup.

Multiplayer mode could probably see improved net code and more balanced maps, like WAR-Downtown when your pushed back to your core all of the spawnpoints are on the ground where you get spawn raped by a tank or a Titan and can't do nothing aside from waiting the match to end...
                Why didn't Epic think of that? Why didn't they consider "hey people will be spawn raped maybe we should move some spawn points to the roof and put a weapon locker there..."

Yes UT3 still needs a few fixes here and there but has plenty of maps\mods to still enjoy the game for awhile.

I'm all good for an Unreal 3 or an Unreal Championship 3 game but never combining the 2, they will most likely be crippled by the other and I prefer Epic to focus their resources in making a great UT game or a great Unreal game.

Tho I don't disagree in UT having a story but not like a single player game... Every character has its background, every arena has its foundation, every faction comes from its own place and each tournament has something diferent added in for variety.
                So why not have simply a small side story that its told trough the arenas and trough the characters themselves, wasn't this what UT99 was?

The background story was there and the rest was simply left to each player to play the game and create a name for themselves, be a part of the Tournament and not just follow the story of some random character.

Comment

i voted dont care , only because its just corney instant action with cut scenes.

if i was running **** id sell a story only Unreal4 "unreal1 reboot" to demo the new engine and then sell UT4 as an expansion to Unreal4 the same year or as a separate game even further in the future. But we need to sell to the newer generations of gamers who are unfamiliar with Unreal and a Unreal1 reboot with UE4 will do the trick.

Comment

I couldn't care less about UT's story.

Comment

I think it's possible for a UT game to have a good storyline, but what I didn't like about UT3 was that you were forced to play with a certain faction AND character. I like that in UT99, it was you and your team, and in 2kx, you lead a team of mixed factions.

I think in the next UT, you needs to be your own character again for Sp, and maybe be able to customize your teammates as well.

However, I detest the idea of mixing the gameplay.
                      If I wanted to fight critters and monsters, I'd stick to gears or unreal. If I want frantic fast paced action on an even playing field against opponents who can grab the same power ups and weapons you can, I'd play UT

Comment

I have played every version of the UT series that has been released.. And I can say that with each of them, I haven't cared about the storyline at all.

I doesn't matter to me why I am shooting at the other guy.

Comment

The game is finished http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/69...-Grown-IP.html Bleszinski also gives word on the fact that not only does it seem like the studio is going to be putting the Unreal Tournament franchise on the shelf for a while, and there most likely will be another Gears title or further Gears of War 2 DLC coming, Bleszinski might already be looking past Gears, as well

Comment

Originally posted by Kong57 View Post
                            The game is finished http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/69...-Grown-IP.html Bleszinski also gives word on the fact that not only does it seem like the studio is going to be putting the Unreal Tournament franchise on the shelf for a while, and there most likely will be another Gears title or further Gears of War 2 DLC coming, Bleszinski might already be looking past Gears, as well
                            Most people here seem to agree that UT99 was the best out of the franchise (with the occasional vote for UT2004)so I can see why it is being shelved.

Also did anyone pay attention to the credits. I swear that had to be the shortest roll of credits I have ever seen in a game.

Comment

Please no more UT arena fps shooters, make something new and epic. Something you did with first unreal. And no GoW is not new and epic.

Comment

Working...
                              X