Lap Tops for Gamers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lap Tops for Gamers

Im trying to browse lap tops for gamer, high performance, Maya 2009, Max 2009, using Unreal Tournament 3 Editor, along with the Adobe Master Collection, Painter, and other preferences for design. My struggle is i dont know much about lap tops vs PC's i know somewhat but i need more help to understand what good brands to buy.

I would like to find something to support all of these things so i have great performance. I have looked a little bit with Alienware, HP, and Toshiba, but i dont really know enough about them to compare & consider what is a great price, good value, efficient benchmarking, hdd capacity along with the ability to sustain all of the above. If anyone has any advice about what is a good deal coming from a gamers perspective, please let me know.

Thanks

concerning graphic cards maybe this can help you out so you can see where wich graphic card ranks vs another.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=246595

Comment

I'd try looking at IBM's (now Lenovo's) ThinkPad W series. They're mobile workstations, which is best for your needs. (Consumer graphics are not nearly as good with 3D rendering in like 3DS Max or Maya) Check them out here and see how you like them. In my own experiences, IBM/Lenovo makes the best quality PC laptops out there too and they're great laptops. Tell me what you think of those--I do think they're the best choice for your needs though.

Comment

Originally posted by gorgesucks View Post
        I'd try looking at IBM's (now Lenovo's) ThinkPad W series. They're mobile workstations, which is best for your needs. (Consumer graphics are not nearly as good with 3D rendering in like 3DS Max or Maya) Check them out here and see how you like them. In my own experiences, IBM/Lenovo makes the best quality PC laptops out there too and they're great laptops. Tell me what you think of those--I do think they're the best choice for your needs though.
        I think the laptop is amazing! Fortunately im like short of cash. i think the W700 is excellent along with the Wacom tablet and dual screen. If you needed about $1000 what would you do to get it? But this lap top has pretty much all i need, including the quad core. I have quad core on my comp now and going from Quad core to Core 2 Duo might be kind of a let down, so i think the price is worth it. What are your thoughts

Comment

Originally posted by gorgesucks View Post
          (Consumer graphics are not nearly as good with 3D rendering in like 3DS Max or Maya).
          What did you mean by this? That the graphics on this ThinkPad are good or not good? On the video it said it works well with high end graphics, so i dont understand.

Comment

Eh, I didn't know how much you had saved for a laptop, though I think it'd still be well worth it if you could manage to save up another thousand. The quad core would help tremendously with your rendering time, possibly just half the time of what a comparable dual core would give you--and I'm sure you know how big a pain rebuilding is. The workstation-level graphics would really help as well and the 3D enhanced drivers are much better than consumer graphics. Plus the dual screen and PANTONE calibrator are nice features that you won't find elsewhere.

It's up to you how you get an extra thousand, though I truly don't think you'll regret it when you're holding all that power in your hands with an excellent quality laptop. Cheers, and tell me if you have any other thoughts too.

EDIT: To your second post, I meant like the GeForce and Radeon series marketed to consumers. This is far better, workstation-level graphics like the FireGL and Quadro FX series. So yes, this laptop dishes out the goods.

Comment

Best resource for researching laptops would be: http://forum.notebookreview.com/index.php

Comment

Originally posted by coldwhitefire View Post
                Im trying to browse lap tops for gamer, high performance, Maya 2009, Max 2009, using Unreal Tournament 3 Editor, along with the Adobe Master Collection, Painter, and other preferences for design. My struggle is i dont know much about lap tops vs PC's i know somewhat but i need more help to understand what good brands to buy.

I would like to find something to support all of these things so i have great performance. I have looked a little bit with Alienware, HP, and Toshiba, but i dont really know enough about them to compare & consider what is a great price, good value, efficient benchmarking, hdd capacity along with the ability to sustain all of the above. If anyone has any advice about what is a good deal coming from a gamers perspective, please let me know.

Thanks
                Hey bud, I can help you.

As someone who uses wacom tablets, 3d software, high end gaming machines and dabbles in game production, i can point you toward the two products you should choose from.

Yes, only two...that is only if you are sure you do not need a desktop instead. Desktops are always better.

Anyways your two choices are simply the Alienware M17 / M17x, and the Sager NP9850 / NP9280. I own a Sager, and they are probably the only real competition with Dell's Alienware.

http://www.alienware.com/products/m1...de=SKU-DEFAULT

http://www.sagernotebook.com/default.php

The LA Film School's game development program actually comes with Alienware M17's. In their program they will be modding using UT3 along with creating game assets and programming.

In other words, the Laptop is perfect for what you want to do.

Sager on the other hand brags about having the worlds fastest laptop. They are a solid brand that is on the same level as the alienware imo.

Both can handle 3D software with ease, games and game modification, work great with wacom tablets and art asset creation as well as over all game development.

If you are going to get a laptop, dont get the cheapest. It never works out. Keep those your options and you will be fine.

Comment

The post above is excellent! (listen to that guy!)

As far for the rest.. i agree... GURU3D.com is a good place to hang out for hardware info if you are into games.

Personally i would go for the sager notebooks. But its not as budget as the Alienware's.

Good luck!

Comment

i have a sager

Comment

HEY MTV :-)

I not see u spectate much lately.. is everything ok? (iCQ here)

Comment

Working...
                      X