UT99 public domain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UT99 public domain?

Since a lot of UT3 players are also originally from UT99 I thought maybe someone here might know the answer to whether UT99 is public domain now. I did google it but got fuzzy and conflicting info. It looks like there was a user petition to Epic to make it free a few years ago but the outcome of that is not clear. I have sent a couple PM's to Epic people but have gotten no response there either.

It would be nice to have a community UT99 night one night, but I know a lot of my console friends won't have it so it would makes things real easy if I could host a package for them to download so everyone gets the same thing installed.

If this was just a one shot deal I'd probably just do it but I'd like to have a permanent link up on my website and obviously I don't want to do that if it's illegal.

Thanks for any info.

UT99 is NOT public domain.
    The only reason people assume this is because UT99 has no cd keys or checks and they think its OK to share their copy with others.

Comment

Hi WOPR,

Unreal Tournament is not public domain. You can find it at retailers as a part of the Unreal Anthology or on Steam as a stand alone game and as a part of a deal pack.

Comment

Thx for the reply.

Well that's one other reason I asked as well...So then how do I prove that I paid for it? I don't have a problem buying a bunch of copies of them game (if I can find them) so that I can distribute them for free to my friends...it won't cost me much...but how would I then prove that I am merely distributing copies that I own as opposed to illegally.

Is there any sort of mass license that eliminates the above?

Comment

Try www.gog.com they have the game and and it costs only 9.99$

Not sure if you can purchase it twice or more using one account.

EDIT:
          I would suggest that you tell your friends to create an account on that website and then buy a few copies and send them to your friends' accounts... It's legal and you have the proof.

Comment

Originally posted by aCRaSSiCauDa View Post
            I would suggest that you tell your friends to create an account on that website and then buy a few copies and send them to your friends' accounts... It's legal and you have the proof.
            Good idea, I'll take a look at that. Thx!

Comment

Indeed its not public domain yet... in 100 years it might (if epic not re-registers it).

The game is so cheap these days (like HL/CS) u better just buy it and support the developers (well they tend to get little from what u pay but anyways, its the idea).

www.gog.com nice site.. never seen it bfor (its beta but already looking darn nice).

Cheers...

Comment

Originally posted by PR0V0 View Post
                (its beta but already looking darn nice).
                i was wondering the same until i found this.

A quote from them

Why the site is still in beta version?

As every self-respected website, in the era of Web 2.0, we have to carry out the beta for at least a year before we can launch the site. Unless you will act briefly and send us your feedback asap, we might think of launching the site earlier.

Comment

Working...
                X