Warfare focus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    So that's where you've been lost mega_dopeman.......

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Oh man playing DM/TDM was rough after first switching from pretty much full-time WAR/VCtf regimen.

I'd always try to get right into the heat of the battle and even if I kill a few guys I'd be nearly dead and some sneaky ******* would finish me off.

That's the main skill IMO playing sneaky - the l33t pr0 players never are in the heat of the battle with hitscans cores and flaks flying all over they always find some corner to sneak around, blow up everyone who's fighting in that battle and move on.

Pretty nice to do that in warfare since you have more of a chance to survive with not only powerups but vehicles etc.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Gotta agree with megadopeman on the dm skills... The more battles you survive, the more objectives you can accomplish... an area I need to work on myself. Wah!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by gwenthar View Post
    Some people got a 5th sense for when the core is available to be damaged or when a node is unguarded.
    5th sense you say? Sight? Hearing? I sometimes use those to know the core's vulnerable, then again I almost never go for the core.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by ctr2yellowbird
    there's "no skill involved in WAR", but that just isn't true
    Shhh, don't contradict them

Leave a comment:

• replied
    ^DM is good to play to learn to stay alive though and it'll improve your warfare skill significantly. If you can frag someone in a narrow hallway and not die from your own flaks, and then you get a manta, the possibilities become endless

I used to be too much of a kamikaze for a while, when playing mostly war. And it worked since i'd make it to the node, cap the orb then get blown up but it wouldn't matter if I made it, or get to the core and shoot it until you're killed etc. I think DM teaches survival skills - I was HORRIBLE at that even after playing mostly war for a year...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by gwenthar View Post
    Two types of people:

You got the people that go for points only they suicide run to the core get a few bits of it off respawn and get the vehicle.They don't mind dieing they are like mexican jumping beans.To be good at this you need to have a opurtunist personality.Some people got a 5th sense for when the core is available to be damaged or when a node is unguarded.

Then you got the people who actually make it a sport to frag as many persons possible they don't go for the node but just for people.Their dm skills is a bit better then your avg warfare player.These kind of players could probably go to a dm server too and have lots of fun.These are the people who like to be challenged and get massive sprees on foot or in a hitscan vehicle like the nemesis or camp the tank.
    Are there players who are both?

I can agree to any of these posts posted.. does that make me pr0? :P
    because I think I suck

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Just think and play objectively. Ask yourself what you can do next as the biggest contribution to your team. Kills don't matter, but clearing the way for your team or quickly freeing up some other less-capable team members from a battle is quite helpful. Also, points don't win game, but they are relevant to a WAR player's overall performance and they do matter. The players with the most points generally waste less time and resources accomplishing needed objectives, but some invaluable contributions involving the orb and vehicles have no point value. Still, you must prioritize and reprioritize, constantly assessing the overall game, until you always know where you are needed most. The minimap and announcer, whose advice isn't the greatest but tells you when the map has changed, are useful. In pub WAR games, you must learn who to trust and who "needs improvement." If I don't trust my team at all, I'll run the orb and try to make the big plays for them or defend if we really need it. Oh! Know what you are going to do next before you go on your way << big learning curve. Umm... try everything until you are good at everything... Know the map, orb routes, item locations, vehicles available, and all the technical info like weapon damage. It goes on...

Basically, "strategy" is to WAR whereas "skill" is to DM. Sure, both are required to do OK in either gametype, but the emphasis on each quality is shifted significantly. The commonground for both should be the experience that you get just for being engaged in the game. Unrelated: I know many good or better DMers say there's "no skill involved in WAR", but that just isn't true or even fair to compare WAR to frag-based gametypes. WAR demands a consistant performance just like any other gametype, but the necessary WAR "skillset" is less obvious or appreciated than that of DM gametypes.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Yes, do whatever needs to be done, that no one else is doing.

I usually check the mini map right away, look around for a second to see which way the others are running, then quickly pick an objective.

Of course, your idea of "what needs to be done" may vary, depending on your understanding of the game and whatever particular map you're on.

No I don't care about points either. And yes it's quite possible to be a valuable team member and make next to no points.

And I don't focus on getting kills either. You're going to get into fights, no doubt about it, but killing people is not job one.

There are instances when you definitely want to avoid fights. If your prime is secure and some bonehead is attacking it anyway for example? Leave him alone. Get the hell out of there. Go somewhere useful.

Spawnkillers are specifically trying to delay you from getting to where the action is. Don't waste time fighting them. Get away from them.

If your core is getting nailed and you're attacking your prime, don't shoot at the guy defending it, if you don't have to. Keep moving so he doesn't kill you, and shoot the node.

And as I've seen others point out, if the enemy is down to nothing but their core, then every enemy you kill is one more that spawns at that core, ready to defend it (whenever you manage to get over there).

Leave a comment:

• replied
    ^But then if you can carry a orber around the map quickly and make him cap and win that's a pretty quick match, the other team's D sux I guess you're thinkin Torlan ? If you got skillz in a raptor you'll still be forced to get it the hard way and make some kills, avoid those avrils. So you get points.

Then even the top core destroyers won't have that many more points than everybody. I agree you need to do what noone else is to help. I still say if you do what you're supposed to to win, you're gonna get lots of points. Not counting when you're havin a **** match then snipe the orber and turn the momentum to watch your team win. That's when in my book you're the "x-factor" not necessarily a "powerhouse" haha.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Do whatever needs to be done that nobody else is doing. Win! Points mean nothing. It's a good general indicator, that's it. If you grab the raptor and run the orb carrier all over the map while he caps, and you are awesome at it, and your team wins, how many points do you have? ZERO. Still, you were invaluable to your team. You won the game. Winning the game, that's my point.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I think that if you're partaking in a balanced match which goes on for sometime and it's a real struggle for both sides, then the points margin isn't that huge, if you're doing what you're supposed to.

I mean if you're playing the full 20 minutes and/or overtime and it's a tough battle and you have barely any points then wtf are you doing? Shooting nodes, destroying orbs, killin, making nodes, killin orb carriers, all gets you points. So you should at least be up there, since you'd think that noone will destroy the whole core at once.

I know I've had a good WAR match when I finish at least 2nd or 3rd on the whole server in points and I've never even touched the core once, I think that's a good indicator. Especially if you're not that far behind

If a match is very lopsided then sometimes a person has 101 and everyone else has like 20-25 points because they got all the orbs and destroyed the core quickly. Or even if it takes a minute, but the struggle is not sufficient it still happens.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thanks for the info

I don't want to be a points ***** or anything, I just sometimes feel that I could be more efficient.

I think I'll attempt to switch to spec ops (I don't know why I'm not on that already!) and also keep a closer eye on when the core is available/nearly available to attack. I think both will be good for myself and the team.

Rumour has it, I might play a bit tonight

Leave a comment:

• replied
    The bigger the teams the less points mean really, you sometimes finish low on points but played the critical role that saved your team's *** by making all the key orb runner kills etc, shooting down a couple of enemy redeemers using shock primary and so on. A kind of unsung hero, who wins the game in secret. While some bozo on your team eats up all the points by destroying the enemy core, while you hold their prime.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Good to see you back around Lillien. Hopefully see you on the servers sometime.

As for point scoring - just kill the core or build loads of nodes and orb run if thats your aim.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X