Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The MSUC, how does it really help Unreal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The MSUC, how does it really help Unreal?

As I load up what I think to be a great game, I keep in the back of my mind that when I press the find servers button, I most likely will find nothing. On a daily basis, this is true. There is only one server that is vctf that has a fairly good flow of players. Good enough, I suppose.

UT3 in its current form is great. I've been on this rollercoaster ride since 99. I believe I have the right to say whether or not a version of Unreal is up to par or not. Still, regardless of my opinion, the players are not here.

The MSUC is obviously a great idea for the mod developers out there. It probably helps the gaming industry in some form as it really gives amateur developers a reason to get down to the nitty gritty and learn. However, this is a contest that keeps people from playing the game. As a passed mapper myself, I know the hours involved in making a map. I also know how addicted you can get to your work when things are flowing properly. I can only imagine the hours involved for a TC MOD. All this time in an editor, none of this time spent playing the game.

I have a few 1st place quality MODs already. I enjoy the **** out of them in bot matches. Sadly, no one is playing them online. Without diving too deep into this FACT, I'll just say that this will be the pace for every entry. So long as people aren't playing UT3, obviously people wont be playing the mods.

How about we devise a plan to give people a solid reason to PLAY UT3. How about Epic Hosted ladders with cash rewards? Give people a reason to practice, practice, and then practice some more. Halo has money behind it, and a band of hooligans all wanting to play at MLG level. UT3 can be the same.

Consider the reward money an investment. At this rate, if there is ever to be a UT4, you can consider it flopped already. If you can rebuild a community, bring back the value of the series, you can guarantee UT4's success.

This is all. Thanks for reading.

I think the only way to keep people playing is if they like it. I mean if they are playing because they are having fun. Not playing for money. Tournies are great, they let everyone compete for fun and bragging rights.

But I do agree that there are alot of mods out there. In that contest there are more mods entered than we have players.

Comment

It makes me sad

Comment

You also have to think that some modders mod UT because they just want a place in the business, they never considered to play the game much...

Even so theres a bunch of people playing that will only stick to their preferd gametype wich is a shame and thats why we have the most people playing VCTF DM\TDM and WAR, the other gametypes are pretty much empty.

I believe the new gametypes added by the Titan pack were dumb, tho I enjoy Greed and Betrayal they seem more like weekend gametypes.

The Titan sure added a twist to the gameplay but we se alot of people dumping the game cause the Titan opens new roads to spam, even so having a good amount of servers without it, a good day of Titan spam was enough to scare some players away.

Even with a huge amount of custom maps people don't seem too interested in playing them online due to not bothering to browse UT3 forums to get them nor waiting for the redirect, not even with custom vehicles\gametypes and weapons seems to be enough to get people playing the game.

I often find good VCTF and WAR matches, ocasionally some good DM but the other gametypes are pretty much dead and most servers are hardly running custom content so why should I bother having 30gb of custom stuff?

The biggest thing that could of scared me away from the game were some players (arrogant\trash talkin\insulting even) but I'm still here and still working on some maps as well.

I'm sure some of the content of MSUC kept some people playing but I don't think the last 2 phases will help the game much.

And the fact the game is on 3 platforms wich enabled new players to experience UT, it also made the community thinner.

I honestly just count on a handfull of servers out there and a reasonable chunk of players to keep the game alive, not even worried about MSUC content nor Community packs.

Comment

As a former console player turned pc, I can tell you consoles are a way to grab the attention of the casual, and suck them in... however, it takes custom content to make that happen... ps3 has this, xbox does not... We need to keep those volunteers working! The modders don't get a lot of response from the admittedly smaller community, I think the contest is a great way to keep them feeling important. Make no mistake, they ARE important, very much so. I might have kept moving when I finished the campaign on my PS3, but the fact that I could get these crazy mods and maps, well... suffice to say I bought a new rig, monitor, and graphics card just for this... Epic should find a way to get a kickback from all the people who do that. So, I like the contest for those reasons. Cheers!

Comment

It actually started during the last generation though, and I still think that, especially then, it was a way to reward the multitudes of modders and mappers in the always enormous Unreal mod community for creating the best custom content--since there is a whole lot of it and I suppose they simply wanted to give back to us. (The largest amount of user-created content in the whole industry.) It's just that now it also acts as inspiration since there isn't as much otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Techn1que View Post
              How about we devise a plan to give people a solid reason to PLAY UT3. How about Epic Hosted ladders with cash rewards? Give people a reason to practice, practice, and then practice some more. Halo has money behind it, and a band of hooligans all wanting to play at MLG level. UT3 can be the same.

Consider the reward money an investment. At this rate, if there is ever to be a UT4, you can consider it flopped already. If you can rebuild a community, bring back the value of the series, you can guarantee UT4's success.

This is all. Thanks for reading.

You can't have a competitive game with so many buggs!

Hopefully when UT4 comes out.

Comment

Originally posted by Techn1que

Ask AMD or NVidia. They need PC gaming to survive

Comment

Come on... Y'all have been saying the game's dead or dying for the last 2 years, yet I can still find as many WAR pubs as before, and with as many players. We can still play pickups until 4 am. And it's still fun.

Comment

For months I enjoyed UT3, but pined for the shedload of custom content id left behind in UT2K4. MSUC fixed this and im now one happy chappy with hundreds of maps. Better still there is always new ones trickling out. This constantly keeps the game fresh. Im still playing UT3, if Id only had the stock maps I doubt i would have lasted more than 6 months.

I understand that peeps are unhappy about the online numbers, but think they are aiming at the wrong target here. The custom content from MSU only extends the lifespan of the game, without it there wouldnt be much left of the community by now.
                    Well thats my opinion anyhow

Comment

Im surprised to see one modder talking about this issue, but happy at the same time, to know that I'm not the only one thinking this way. Back then when MSUC was announced I was truly amazed how much money was envolved in it, I kinda whined as a normal competitive player as I am that Epic could host a 1 million dollar contest and not even a single one for the competitive side. As I said before we need something similar to QuakeCon, having both competitive and modding sides together and in harmony, I truly agree that mapping/modding is necessary in this kind of games and very important, besides that its normal that all players/modders don't share always the same interests, it would be very boring then. I still think Epic thinks that the competitive side is like 5% of the community, it actually isn't and it actually motivates new players to play the game and become better and actually reach the "pro" status, I have loads of players from other games that ask me how to get envolved in UT3, but guess what they quit after some time, simply because the learning curve of the game is very big and to add to that, a game with a lot of bugs and very small community. Right now UT3 is in the worst status tbh, loads of players are quitting, and im quitting myself also, I've lost my hopes, I've been here for quite a while now cuz I still had some kind of hope in UT3, especially because I love its gameplay and think its the best ever UT gameplay created, I'm watching players go back to UT1, some to UT2K4 and many to QuakeLive, so, basically it's nonsense to keep playing. As Im tired of saying already, look at quakelive, competitive environment, thousand of players. UT3 in the other hand is much more "casual gamer" friendly as some people say, and has like 400 500 players, including with the competitive ones , thats just too little. Besides this UT3 is still full of fulcral bugs that ruins it, things like demoplayback, UTV, queue system bug (yes duel mode is TOTALLY screwed and is enough annoying to make people stop playing). Demoplayback is very IMPORTANT aswell and its still not good enough, sure its much better since the release, but cmon I expected a lot more from the titan pack. Throwing out 1 thousand mods isn't enough aswell, if the time that was put into the mapping and modding side was put into actually a decent patch it would have been much better for the whole community. We need more feedback from Epic, they need to be in deep touch with the players, I'm so jealous of quake players right now really, weekly updates, iD advice them with the core of the competitive community, players like fox, stermy etc are in deep contact with them, this will certainly make probably the better hardcore fps ever made. Anyway I still have hope (maybe stupidly) that when UT4 comes out it will revenge what UT3 hasn't been. Anyway, as zulg once said but in a UT1 movie:

Goodbye UT3, loved you, but won't miss you.

Comment

Just one problem.... Quakelive suxxes!

Comment

Originally posted by hypno View Post
                          Im surprised to see one modder talking about this issue, but happy at the same time, to know that I'm not the only one thinking this way.
                          Most modders who might respond here are probably burned out on the subject.

Back then when MSUC was announced I was truly amazed how much money was envolved in it, I kinda whined as a normal competitive player as I am that Epic could host a 1 million dollar contest and not even a single one for the competitive side.
                          Epic never has been a big competitive sponsor.

As I said before we need something similar to QuakeCon, having both competitive and modding sides together and in harmony, I truly agree that mapping/modding is necessary in this kind of games and very important, besides that its normal that all players/modders don't share always the same interests, it would be very boring then.
                          An UnrealCon or whatever it would be called would be awesome, but I think Epic has other priorities, unfortunately. I can understand your frustration in that the MSUC really only caters to bringing in more modders and doesn't necessarily increase the number of players, especially online players. It appears that Epic is more focused on Unreal Engine design/sales/support than game creation/support; the Gears' franchise being the runaway cash cow exception. Please don't get me wrong. I'm not saying Epic does not support their games; quite the contrary.

I still think Epic thinks that the competitive side is like 5% of the community, it actually isn't and it actually motivates new players to play the game and become better and actually reach the "pro" status, I have loads of players from other games that ask me how to get envolved in UT3, but guess what they quit after some time, simply because the learning curve of the game is very big and to add to that, a game with a lot of bugs and very small community.
                          Lots of young gamers want to be "pro" but don't want to put in all the effort it takes to get there in a game such as UT. It has littel to do with the size of the community per se' in relation to how much effort is involved. 'Tis why we are seeing "pro" Halo players on 360. It had little to do with online numbers and almost everything to do with convenience. It's almost a joke.

Stuff..
                          Whether or not these issues get resolved is not the overall reasoning for people shying away from UT3. Most of the issues you mentioned are not necessarily deal breakers, as many comp games don't have a form of online TV built into the game. Mainly it is systems specs and again, effort needed to get to a decent skill level. The original UT did not have all the luxuries it has now in regards to comp play, yet it grew and grew because there was little competition as far as the number of games on the market. Nowadays, you have very few clans who in general stick to one game or game genre as compared to even five years ago. Most that do have been around for a very long time and are content where they are.

Comment

Steam

free weekends and price adjusting would help.

Comment

The big picture IMHO is First: The game UT3 needs too much horse power to run. The world Is in a depression and people can not afford a new computer as a whole. They use what they have and play the games that will work with what they have.

Second: UT3 is a victim of it's cutting edge engine. The better the graphic the bigger the files needed to push custom content. Case in point, I downloaded a custom model XENO, 150MB. If the game ever was able to push skin people would never be patient enough to download 150MB of custom content (thats just for one model). The average custom model is maybe 50MB even thats too big. Peoples Internet connections haven't kept up with the download needs of this game.

Third: No security for on-line players. The way this game is designed there can be no security mods like Anti TCC. According the the author It can't be done.

Third: The Game it self. The look and feel is very cartoonish and IMHO was never really serious about the PC Gamers It was made for the consoles

I have more criticism but I do enjoy the game myself so I'll stop here.

Comment

Working...
                              X