New to UT3...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to UT3...

After playing the xBox Version (360,) I quickly decided that I NEED to own this game. I installed it last night, and was wondering what's the best way to get the most out of the game.

Do I play campaign first? If so, beat it up to which difficulty level? Or do I play MP first? Knowing that I likely won't ever return to campaign after my first MP patch? Would I even be missing out on anything if I did?

I played VCTF and CTF with bots vs a mate and it was brilliant, yet to play Warfare though - looking forward to it a lot of course, sounds a lot more tactical than the other modes.

I'm no stranger to online FPS (it's about all I play to be fair,) and would appreciate any tips / hints on how to get the most out of my purchase.

Thanks in advance,
    Felix
    (Steam ID - canyoufelix)

If you're already good at fps then there's no need to play the campaign unless you want to, get join multiplayer games and learn in them.

Comment

Originally posted by MAshling View Post
      If you're already good at fps then there's no need to play the campaign unless you want to, get join multiplayer games and learn in them.
      There was me half hoping for a "the campaigns are actually quite decent." I don't think I've ever played a good MP FPS with a solid campaign, I always find one of them is usually tacked onto the other...

Will more than likely jump right into MP if that's the consensus , I'm already familiar with the weapons / vehicles etc etc.

Comment

Well, you don't want to tell me Call of Duty 4 has a bad SP or MP now do you :P
        But if you're talking about a FPS like Unreal, Quake or Painkiller I think you're about right

Comment

Originally posted by Froooooom View Post
          Well, you don't want to tell me Call of Duty 4 has a bad SP or MP now do you :P
          But if you're talking about a FPS like Unreal, Quake or Painkiller I think you're about right
          I'm not a fan of 'realistic' style shooters, detracts too much from the whole idea of playing a game in the first place if you ask me - so I will tell you that :P

Oh and in before - WHAT ABOUT HALO LULZ

Are there any good clans / communities to join, learn the ropes with regular, friendly players? Mute pubs annoy the hell out of me regardless of what game I'm playing.

Comment

If I were you I would start off with some instant action (vs bots) and learn what the different weapons do. Once you get a grasp on the weapons usage, ie, long range, medium range, short range, by all means start playing some MP..

Depending on what gametype you are interested in playing it might be best if you do some spectating in MP at first if playing the Warfare gametype. Warfare is based heavily on team coordination and orb usage. If you dont know what you are doing you might grab some resource that is essential to winning the match and not use it properly which may or may not result in everyone on your team yelling at/insulting you.... <--- that is if you are playing on your typical public server...

This is a weekly event of an all custom gametype: http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=683290

We use a voice server, info in thread, and we are a friendly bunch and can point you in the direction of some currently active teams and a competition ladder...

Comment

spectate good players online, that way you can learn some really good stuff.

Comment

the campaign serves as a primer to the gametypes this game has to offer.
                there are plenty o clans

http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=686171

to whet your appetite.

and if you poke around theses forums enough, you'll find all kinds of tips, and links to keep your interest piqued as you get your feet wet...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SY5FMqVeIE
                or
                http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=663504

a few recent favorites to help people get any idea of whats possible here.

and tell your friends, there's enough user generated content here to keep any serious gamer with an attention span and a tiny bit of curiousity bust for a long **** time. seriously. no lie. look around. let other people reitterate it .

for all that people may say that detracts from it, UT3 still offers more than any other shooter out there.

have a nice day!

Comment

Originally posted by canyoufelix View Post
                  I'm not a fan of 'realistic' style shooters, detracts too much from the whole idea of playing a game in the first place if you ask me - so I will tell you that :P
                  Thank you - this guy gets it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bersy View Post
                    Thank you - this guy gets it.
                    Yes I do *Looks smug*

In all seriousness though thanks for the responses guys, probably the warmest welcome I've ever seen any forum, it's usually "OMG NOOB, YOU SUCKZ THE MOSTEST LAWLZ."

After having a scout though there's definately enough clans / competitions / mods / kick *** gameplay to keep me going.

As a side note, any reason why even with every single box checked in the advanced options, with everything set to the highest settings, it still doesn't look quite as good as it should?

Comment

tbh everything enabled visually for some kind of washs out the colors and what not for some. i'd advise finding one of the the tweak guides and kind of adjusting it a bit more to get your suitable blend of visual awesomeness and smoothness of play...

good day!

Comment

your screen percentage is set to 100?

Try different detail modes also, I find I prefer 1.

Comment

Working...
                        X