Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unreal Tournament 3 for MAC

Hello UT Community

I was playing UT 2003 on a PC long time ago.
    Now im looking forward for the MAC Game, cause I changed Systems.

The announcement was early 2008, but UT3 for Mac don't appear until now.

Any new annuncements or anything new?

Greetz
    5th

This is the last update (that I know of) on the status of the Linux/Mac ports of UT3: https://twitter.com/icculus/status/1887351268 . There's no set date for it.

icculus (Ryan Gordon) is the guy working on them.

Comment

Its known to be in the works. But it is getting on for 2 years late. Which is too late.....
      We're wasting our time waiting for it, as much as Ryan is wasting his time supposedly working on it.
      A couple of months late is one thing, but when it gets so late that things (the gaming industry) have moved on so much, then why bother?

What a shame..

Pop

Comment

I heard of this "virtual computer" thing you can do with a mac in order to dual boot into windows.

I doubt it'll work for games, though.

Comment

No, mac users can run UT3 through "windows" but it's not the same as playing on your native OS.... not sure about linux users... but yeah, many threads, Epic comes and says "nothing to report at this time" then *POOF*.... thread vanishes. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by The Demon Slick View Post
            No, mac users can run UT3 through "windows" but it's not the same as playing on your native OS.... not sure about linux users... but yeah, many threads, Epic comes and says "nothing to report at this time" then *POOF*.... thread vanishes. Good luck!
            Oh, wow it actually works?

But happens to it on the virtual computer OS? Does the resolution screw up, or does the game lag?

Comment

Originally posted by Gameslaya View Post
              Oh, wow it actually works?

But happens to it on the virtual computer OS? Does the resolution screw up, or does the game lag?
              There are 2 ways of running games like UT3 on an Mac. Firstly, it must be an an intel mac. But that is pretty much all Macs made in the past 3 years or so. Both methods need a copy of Windows (I use XP).

1. Apples bootcamp software aids installation of Windows onto a new drive partition. So the Mac can then run windows natively. The Mac then essentially becomes no different to any other PC, and can thus run anything a Windows PC can, including games like UT3.

2, Virtual Machine. I use Parallels software for this on my Mac. In my case, it uses the same Windows installation from the other partition as i'd use when booting Windows natively. So the same Windows installation runs within OS X. To my surprise, UT3 will boot and run in this virtual machine. But it was obscenely slow, and no where near playable. Still, it does run. This includes the editor.
              I expect the slowness comes from the way the virtual machine software (Parallels) handles the graphics. Its likely emulated. Hence the bad performance. Other Virtual machine software may be better in this department though? Or it could just as likely be worse. Consider yourself lucky if the game even boots and runs in a virtual machine.

There are perhaps other ways to run UT3 on a Mac, but these are the 2 I have direct experience of.
              Mac apps like Crossover allow the use of Windows software in OS X without ever needing to install the Windows OS at all. It sounds great, but my brief experience of Crossover however was a bad one. It was clunky to setup and use, and nothing I tried to run in it would work, and I only tried basic software. If that didn't work, then games like UT3 were definitely a no go.

Running Windows natively on a Mac via bootcamp is the only way to go for games like UT3. No question.

Which brings me neatly back on topic. Mac users waiting for UT3 likely bought a windows copy instead long ago and made do with that. I can't see them justifying a second copy for OS X when the game isn't quite the flourishing success we all hoped it would be..

Pop

Comment

I would switch from windows to mac os x in a heartbeat if ut3 was available there..It's the only game I actually keep playing.

Comment

Originally posted by Pop! View Post
                  Which brings me neatly back on topic. Mac users waiting for UT3 likely bought a windows copy instead long ago and made do with that. I can't see them justifying a second copy for OS X when the game isn't quite the flourishing success we all hoped it would be..
                  Err... Surely they'd release the Mac client as a binary installer, if at all. I strongly doubt they'd bother to release the game again packaged and stuff.

(By the way, didn't this thread have more posts before?)

Comment

Originally posted by demoniac View Post
                    (By the way, didn't this thread have more posts before?)
                    nope this question gets asked here once every month or so...

Comment

I'm glad other people are bugged by this. I will order the mac UT3 as soon as it releases (if ever at this point).

While UT3 may have flopped in the PC community the mac gaming world is very different. UT3 would be far and away the best shooter on the mac even 2 years after it's PC release date. Don't even mention COD4 to me.

Comment

Originally posted by demoniac View Post
                        Err... Surely they'd release the Mac client as a binary installer, if at all. I strongly doubt they'd bother to release the game again packaged and stuff.
                        Who knows?! But all previous editions of UT for Mac were released as a dedicated Mac version. Perhaps I wrongly assumed this would be no different?

Perhaps I was overly negative due to the huge delay. So better late than never would be nice, of course Whichever form it takes..

Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Shino View Post
                          nope this question gets asked here once every month or so...
                          Only it _did_ have more posts. At least one more, which was mine. Don't you think I'd rememb0r?

Comment

does any1 know the best place to crab the ut3 demo i wana test it on bootcamp b4 i commit to purchasing it.

Comment

Err... If it's for offline, trying-out purposes, I think you know where to find it, and that you can't ask this here.

Comment

Working...
                              X