Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UT3 Extreme PhysX Mod Question

Hey,

I was wondering if the Extreme PhysX mod works with Amd Radeon Cards, just wanted to know before I download it.

Here is my setup:

Win XP sp3
    Ga-MA790FX-UD5P
    AMD Phenom II x4 920
    Shappire HD4830
    4GB g-Skill Ram
    Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS Platinum

No, PhysX only works with AGEIA PhysX cards and certain nvidia video cards and only if you have the drivers installed and configured correctly.

If you have an ATI video card or any 7000 series or older nvidia video card, the only way to get PhysX is to install an AGEIA PhysX card.

Comment

You can run it, but your CPU will do all the PhysX. With 4850 I had <10 fps and uninstalled it after 5 mins so don't waste your bandwidth.

[shot]http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/nvidia_geforce_physx_performance/images/unreal.gif[/shot]

[shot]http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/nvidia_geforce_physx_performance/images/ut3.gif[/shot]

Comment

So if I pick up a physx card it would be compatible with my setup?

Comment

It would, but it's just a waste of money and time, or using some Nvidia card from picture above. Only 3 maps as I remember Heat Ray PhysX, Tornado and one more.

You can try it with CPU doing PhysX if you want to see effects as I did (with some painful fps though), but it's not something that will keep you playing more than 10 mins.

Comment

I think you can use it anyways, only your CPU will have to do the rendering if you don't got a dedicated chip. Just uncheck or check use hardware physics, shoot some boxes around and if they're flying that's the affect.
            I capped out at like 25 fps without using my physx card, 30 using the physx card through nvidia's physx checkbox in the nvidia control panel, then after turning that off, roughly 35-40 using the AGEIA Physics unit. So if you can tolerate 25 fps, it's not too bad to check out. There's alot of popular newer games, that use software physx rendering and deliver decent gameplay.
            My processors a Core 2 extreme x6800, so if you're newer than that, you should be good to go.

Comment

I just ordered a Radeon 4890. I would really love to be able to use my 8800 GT as a Physx card. I can't do that though can I?

Comment

so uh....I don't know much about them but these Ageia physx cards are they another gpu of just an extension to your gpu?

Comment

Neither. A Physx card is a physics processor. Physics, like when something blows up how do the parts move, how fast are they going, where do they land, how do they bounce, etc, are historically processed by the CPU on a computer. Just like a sound card does sound processing so the CPU doesn't have to, a physics card does physics processing to free up the CPU to do other things, thus improving performance. Nvidia recently has figured out how to convert their graphics cards into impromptu physics processors as well. In fact, now ATI is trying to be in that ball game, so odds are a dedicated Physx card will quickly become a thing of the past - everyone will just have their graphics card do that for them.

So, to sum up, a separate Physx card has nothing to do with your GPU, although your GPU now has a little something to do with Physx.

Comment

Originally posted by bclagge View Post
                    I just ordered a Radeon 4890. I would really love to be able to use my 8800 GT as a Physx card. I can't do that though can I?
                    No, unless you are that Chinese guy who is the only one in the world who said that it can be done.

As for ATI last news were that they wanted to do physics through HAVOK, there are a few nice demos (like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daZoXzBGea0). For PhysX support on their cards it's only rumors now.

Comment

Originally posted by Warkiller View Post
                      So if I pick up a physx card it would be compatible with my setup?
                      It would be compatible. There is not much extreme PhysX used in UT3. The community did not embrace the technology and use it in their custom maps. UT3 does not have much PhysX in the stock maps.

You must have either PPU or GPU based PhysX in order to play the extreme PhysX maps, but there are only 3-4 of them because it never took off.

Nvidia then bought AGEIA and killed the PPU in favor of their CUDA GPU based PhysX. Nvidia does support the AGEIA cards and drivers are available in the web site.

Originally posted by Warkiller View Post
                      so uh....I don't know much about them but these Ageia physx cards are they another gpu of just an extension to your gpu?
                      The AGEIA card uses a PPU, PhysX processing unit, and unloads the CPU of the PhysX work. So it's a co-processor of sorts.

You will get a higher FPS using the PhysX PPU on almost all maps. It's about a 10% increase. You may not notice it on non PhysX maps depending on your system specs. If your already getting over 100 fps, hard to tell the difference between 100 and 110.
                      You really need a pretty good system even with a PPU in order to get playable fps on maps like lighthouse and tornado.

Originally posted by bclagge View Post
                      I have not heard anything new on ATI PhysX for a long time. Maybe they are still working on a version of it. ATI calls it Stream Computing.

http://www.techreport.com/articles.x/14968

Comment

Working...
                      X