Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quadro FX 2500M

Hello,

I'm purchasing a Dell Precision M90 "mobile workstation". While I know the card is a DX9 card, will it play UT3 adequately?

I'll be purchasing 4Gb OCZ "high performance" RAM to go with the machine too... I'll also be using a 64-bit OS, not 32-bit, which should make a difference (it made a significant difference when I had a Toshiba A210-11P with an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2600 card).

It's not card meant for gaming but professional use, you'll probably could run the game at medium details maybe something set to high in native resolution or 1280x800. Good thing it's 256 bit memory bus and DDR3 memory on card. You can see here 3D Mark scores, though it doesn't imply that it will rank like this in game too, but too bad there are no gaming tests.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-...0M.2130.0.html

Comment

Originally posted by Selyoid View Post
      Hello,

I'm purchasing a Dell Precision M90 "mobile workstation". While I know the card is a DX9 card, will it play UT3 adequately?

I'll be purchasing 4Gb OCZ "high performance" RAM to go with the machine too... I'll also be using a 64-bit OS, not 32-bit, which should make a difference (it made a significant difference when I had a Toshiba A210-11P with an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2600 card).
      I have a Dell Precision M6300, which is pretty similar. It has a 256MB FX1600M. 3D performance is similar to the FX2500M, which is basically a mobile 7900GTX as far as I know. I haven't tried UT3 on mine but I imagine that performance will be poor at the native resolution (1920x1200?), because my desktop machine with a 4850 struggles on some maps at 1920x1200, and that's much faster than a FX2500M.

With regard to RAM, it might be wise to wait until you get the machine before you decide what RAM to buy. Maybe you're aware of this already, but you need DDR2 SO-DIMMs, not the normal desktop DDR2 DIMMs. It's also possible that the M90 won't run the memory above 667MHz, owing to Dell not being very adventurous when it comes to writing BIOSes. It's not aimed at the enthusiast market so I doubt there's much scope for tweaking in the BIOS. If you can borrow a set of DDR2 800 SO DIMMs from somewhere to see if they actually run at 800 in the M90, that would be your best bet.

Comment

Which one will you be purchasing, one with 1920x1200 or 1440x900? My comment was for second since those were the specs I found first. In 1920x1200 will surely be painful to play

Comment

The model is with a WUXGA screen, so 1900x1200 resolution. I've heard it'll run Crysis @ high on 1280x800 or medium on 1900x1200... So I'm guessing it'll be the same on UT3 then.

I'll give the 800MHz DDR2 RAM a go and let ye know the results (I'm getting it on Monday). I'll give a few games a go (UT3, Battlefield 2, Quake 3, Doom 3, etc) and post some results on my blog... About time there's some form of review with FPS ratings for the card!

Comment

Do you have access to the machine? Maybe you could get on the internet from the store? I can't post a link because I'm on my phone, but google "system requirements lab", it's a known good site... it can analyze your machine and tell you if it will run it or not.

Comment

I won't have access until I purchase it on Monday... I'll be sure to post the results for a few games from System Requirements Lab

Comment

The FX2500 uses a 7900 gpu, 90nm G71 chip, with a slightly different hardware implementation making it a quadro, clocks are only 500 Mhz, and a very different driver designed for a different purpose. (It's either a marketing scam or strategy depending on your perspective)

Playing UT3 on a desktop with a single 7900GTX, clocked at 650 MHz, and sucking up 120 watts of power, only resulted in playable frame rates with medium settings at 1024x768. The FX2500M draws 45 watts and runs are lower clocks, so one can make a pretty good inference just from that. You may want to see if the nvidia Go 7900 driver works better than the dell driver. Do not expect playable frame rates with high res or details.

If your expecting stellar performance, you will be disappointed.

Comment

Originally posted by Selyoid View Post
                  Hello,

You should know that there's currently a class action suit pending against nVidia for faulty graphics cards used in Dell, HP and Apple laptops.

I support several M90/M6300 computers at work for CAD work, and I've had four of them with bad video cards. I actually had to chat with Dell this very morning to have a tech come out to replace another one tomorrow.

One bad egg is understandable, but it's gotten to the point where I'm actually following the class action suit because it's relevant to me. Probably 8 or 9 laptops total with this failure, four of which were M90 or M6300s. Dell doesn't cite those specific models as having the extended warranty because of the problem, but I can promise you that it exists on them. Names changed to protect the innocent:

05/26/2009 12:35:20PM Agent (Pro Support April Weech): "Thank you for contacting Dell Technical Support. While I am bringing up your information, how may I help you today?"
                  05/26/2009 12:35:38PM commiecat: "Hi, I have a Precision M90 and the video card seems to have gone bad."
                  05/26/2009 12:36:06PM Agent (Pro Support April Weech): "I'm sorry to hear that, but I'll be happy to help you get this resolved. What is the symptom of the video card failure?"
                  05/26/2009 12:36:24PM commiecat: "Pixelation and weird lines/characters on-screen and on a good external monitor."
                  05/26/2009 12:36:59PM commiecat: "The image is messed up during the DELL/POST screen, before loading any OS or anything."
                  05/26/2009 12:37:15PM Agent (Pro Support April Weech): "Thank you very much."
                  05/26/2009 12:37:44PM commiecat: "I've had several nVidia-chip laptops with the exact same problem. Actually had a tech out last week for a Latitude D630 -- symptoms on this computer are identical."
                  05/26/2009 12:39:16PM Agent (Pro Support April Weech): "What is the address for the service call? Please include a primary and alternate phone number for scheduling purposes with the onsite technician. Thank you."
                  This is how my chats go now. Typically they'll ask you the usual troubleshooting steps. On the video card problems, if the tech says "Have you tried..." I tell them to reference any of my past chats and say that this is having identical issues. Then they ask for the address to send a tech to. *curses NVIDIA*

Comment

Ouch, that doesn't sound good.

Though I guess if that happens to me I could just purchased another card and replace it (they take a little work to install, since they have the copper heat-sinks included, but it's possible... For about £400)

Comment

Working...
                    X