Windows 7 and UT3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows 7 and UT3

I was considering switching to the windows 7 beta but before I did, I was wondering how UT3 performs on it compared to vista/xp. Im using xp at the moment, but I dont like only having 3 of my 4 gigs of ram being used. Vista is an option, but I dont see a point in spending money on Vista when windows 7 is soon to be released to retail.

Sooo, who here uses windows 7 and what are your thoughts on it as far as UT3 and gaming in general goes?

It plays worlds better then Vista but it still isn't as good as XP but it is getting better. Install it on a separate partition so you can have both!!

Comment

Originally posted by Harmerty View Post
      It plays worlds better then Vista but it still isn't as good as XP but it is getting better. Install it on a separate partition so you can have both!!
      Agreed. I'm currently running Win 7 beta and it runs great, but not until I shopped around to find the vid drivers that worked best for my 9600 GT (using 185.81, works perfectly). I recommend you look into getting ahold of the newly releases RC of Win 7 instead of the beta. Most likely it will be even better (not a garauntee, though).

Comment

Originally posted by Pitch~Black View Post
        Agreed. I'm currently running Win 7 beta and it runs great, but not until I shopped around to find the vid drivers that worked best for my 9600 GT (using 185.81, works perfectly). I recommend you look into getting ahold of the newly releases RC of Win 7 instead of the beta. Most likely it will be even better (not a garauntee, though).
        Why don't you use 185.85? Are 185.81 better?

Comment

Originally posted by mjordan View Post
          Why don't you use 185.85? Are 185.81 better?
          I noticed a profound drop in FPS using 185.85.

Comment

Originally posted by Pitch~Black View Post
            I noticed a profound drop in FPS using 185.85.
            Ok thank you.

Comment

UT3 works fine with Windows 7 for me. I've tried both 32- and 64-bit versions. The performance is slightly better than with Vista, but not as good as with XP.

Comment

Windows 7 will be the next "XP", once it's totally done. I run the 32bit RC1, and I havent ran into any issues at all. When I first installed it, all my drivers set up automatically, and they were all the most recent.

One issue(kinda) was that the k-lite codec pack wouldnt work right. So I uninstalled it, and low and behold all the videos worked anyway with the Windows 7 codec. Awesome stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Harmerty View Post
                  My UT3 benchmarks faster on my Vista 64 then my XP 32 or 64 so don't know where you got your info from!

Comment

Originally posted by gargorias View Post
                    My UT3 benchmarks faster on my Vista 64 then my XP 32 or 64 so don't know where you got your info from!
                    Sorry, looks like vista is dead but just not buried. With microsoft announcing Win 7 retail coming out in 6 months, even they know it. Even though Win 7 is really just repackaged vista with fixes, the name is synonymous with failure and they had to get rid of it. Marketing is playing a big part here as microsoft wants to run away from the vista name as fast as possible. They are looking for the new cash cow called win 7 to bring in the billions that vista did not.

There still is no real reason to switch from XP to vista or win 7 for most people. I see no logical reason at all to switch to any 32 bit version of vista or win 7. The 32 bit versions exist as legacy versions for use on legacy hardware. Switching to win 7 from vista now while it's still in beta and then switching again when it's released as retail seems like a big waste of time for most.

Comment

This has nothing to do with UT3, but I feel I have to post about it...

I moved for a few days, and I'm using a P4 with 1GB RAM with Windows 7 RC1 installed.

Then the noise of the 6800 was getting on my nerves, and I replaced it by a Geforce4200 w/64MB Ram and an IDE drive that it's stuck @ DMA33 (25 MB/s transfer rate) and is dying I disconnected the gfx fan and underclocked the core to 100MHz. Then, since I couldn't find proper drivers for such an old card, I downloaded the old Forceware 93.71 for XP and installed with compatibility mode. It kinda blue screens if I try to use some acceleration, but shh.... don't tell anyone. I then disabled indexing and it doesn't use Aero or themes.

It's unbelievable, this piece of junk works! I have a very snappy and stable system.

I'm pwning at Internet Checkers

Comment

There's no reason to switch from XP to Vista or Windows 7? Yeah, try telling that to enthusiasts that emphasize in security. You won't get very far.

Comment

Windows 7 RC gives me smoother frames in UT3 than Vista. Alt-tabbing in and out of the game is super duper fast, like 1 sec! Never installed XP on my machine so no idea how it runs on XP.

Comment

I can only play UT3 On Windows 7, now. UT3 and Win XP Pro SP3 with a Visiontek HD4870 do not get along. I have tried and then some...

On Win 7 64bit RC1, UT3 runs like a champ!

Only gripe I have with Win 7 64 bit so far, is that it will sometimes not give write permissions to my raid. I finally found a work around by using Diskpart through the command prompt running as administrator. Diskpart allows clearing of the read-only permissions Win 7 assigns to the raid disks (even if Diskpart shows the disk is not set to read-only) . Gotta thank Google for finding the work-around to that one...

Comment

Win 7 x64 has been nothing short of fantastic for me. UT3 runs like a dream.

And yeah, there are very good security reasons, if nothing else, to switch to Vista/7 from XP.

Comment

Working...
                              X