UT Etiquette: Tips for winning the game and winning other players' gratitude

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A little off topic, but ....

In Team Fortress 2 teams are automatically balanced every few rounds. And it works. It actually keeps teams from being lopsided and from players stacking thier teams. It not an incredibly difficult concept to understand or implement, I would imagine. Why "requests" for team balancing is even necessary in UT is beyond my ability to understand. It's one of the "little" things that other games have that keep a lot of people playing them (and keeps them playing), and irritates new players giving UT 3 a chance.

BTW, I notice a lot less "teams suck!!" messages in chat in TF 2. The automatic team balancing eliminates the need for grumbling.

Comment

I'm not against the fact that everyone does so when the game was enjoyable. I'm not against the people that use it as a way to say "well played everyone". I also like to see it, if the ones that lost take the initiative to say it to compliment the winners, or meaning that they still liked the game regardless if it was balanced or not.

What I don't like is when the "winners" rush to comment how much fun they had, that it was a great game with great teamwork, but the game was 12vs9 and they didn't care or had the courage to even the teams and make it better. It's not what you type, it's what you are thinking when you type it. For me, etiquette as in being polite, having manners or be politically correct is very overrated. It's mostly about being ethical, fair and be gentle towards the ones more vulnerable than myself.

Speaking of which, I'm surprised that it's rare to see people talk about the obnoxious treatment that new guys get in the online gaming scene. I'm also surprised to see people raving about etiquette, but on another thread are eager to blame "n00bs", consider their preferences irrelevant and use "skill" to make their own arguments more credible

Comment

PitchBlack, UT3 is crying out for JUSTICE! Check my sig for the link. Also, I try not to bash new players, I'm not even comfortable using "noob" because in it's current usage, it has become a term used to insult and ridicule new players. Not cool. I especially hate when the stacked team wins and some jerk starts typing about how great they are and how awesome their team is and how they "owned"..... Usually, the good players who did the actual owning just say gg or something, it's usually some pipsqueak from the bottom of the board being mouthy. Stop please. Wah!

Comment

Originally posted by BlueCloud View Post
          The problem is that the so called whiners are usually the ones that are the good players on the 'noob' team. Doesn't make sense to switch them with good players from the 'pro' team, the result is the same. Most of the time the 'noobs' on the weak team don't even notice the team swap request and even if they do, they don't know how to switch. The only hope is for the weak team to lose players so that the strong players can switch over.
          Another situation similar to that is typically there will be one team (Red) with 3-4 really good (L33T) players and another opposite team (Blue) with like 1-2 decent players, the rest are N00b sauces or idlers. Now the Blue team will get their donkeys handed to them for so long that the some of the good players or n00b sauces will leave, giving a perfect opportunity for some of the higher end players to switch and actually even it out, but what do you think happens instead? No one wants to switch to the losing team and the game forces you to typically get the bottom the barrel from the team that won, the lowest of the low, the leftover guys that either didn't play the whole game, and that one d00d that spent the entire game accidently blowing himself up and worse.

It's like Red saying : Oh Hey Blue I see you've lost for like the tenth time in a row and a bunch of you players quit too, but don't worry you can have this bag of left over garbage, I've been meaning to get rid of it anyway. Especially this one guy who keeps capping the center node in Torlan. Oh and GG ahead of time.

And Blue is all : Aww FFS!!! I'd rather have bots than those guys! LAME! *More quitting* Ect.

The moral of this story is if you're really high-end player and you see this happening, you'll know exactly what's going on. You know **** well if you switch you're taking a big risk at losing, but c'mon give a real game a chance. Quit gawking at your rank and play a game that isn't a garaunteed win for once.

I don't know if someone else has said the same exact thing, but at least that's my version of what I've seen.

Edit*

Originally posted by TheDemonSlick
          Also, I try not to bash new players, I'm not even comfortable using "noob" because in it's current usage, it has become a term used to insult and ridicule new players. Not cool.
          Sorry but the UT3 Helpful hints on the loading screen taught me the word n00b and now I can't help myself.

Comment

JUSTICE answers the problem of unbalanced teams, click the link in my sig and read about it. Join me in my crusade to get it put on servers! If Epic did this, most of these issues would never even come up. It's a 65 mb file! It's soooooo simple. It's what epic should have done long, long ago.

Comment

You can use in-chat insults and the word noob to throw off someone's in-game rhythm.

I know this guy (won't mention his nickname cause I don't want that attention ***** to get exposure) - but his strategy works well.

He'd run you over with a goliath when you don't even have your weapons rack and LOL and HAHAAHAHAH and cal u STUPID LOOSER NOOB about 10 times. If you start talkin back then he already won He also switches to a winning team when it's clear who will win so he NEVER loses

Comment

Originally posted by The Demon Slick View Post
                JUSTICE answers the problem of unbalanced teams, click the link in my sig and read about it. Join me in my crusade to get it put on servers! If Epic did this, most of these issues would never even come up. It's a 65 mb file! It's soooooo simple. It's what epic should have done long, long ago.
                Epic won't even put quality custom maps on their servers, there is no chance they will ever put a mutator. It's a crusade in vain.

Comment

Originally posted by Benfica View Post
                  I'm also surprised to see people raving about etiquette, but on another thread are eager to blame "n00bs", consider their preferences irrelevant and use "skill" to make their own arguments more credible
                  Quoted for truth; hypocrisy is wonderful. Just call it like you see it. Though I doubt this was the authors point, if you are a ranting "n00b" blamer, then stop putting up the morally superior front of etiquette. Politeness is a garbage shield that players throw up when it suits them.

It's been utterly consistent from my time in warfare (other gametypes are much better about this due to less players). It's only "teams..." if you're on the loser team, it's only stacking when its not "your" buddies. I spec'd a game last week where 2 members of a certain clan were on one team and it was "stacking", but another clan had had 4! members on the same team (which they purposely arranged) for like 4 maps straight... not one peep from the same etiquette police.

The etiquette police showed up simply b/c they started losing. Which is why its rubbish in the first place, I've yet to see a single consistent player in warfare practice what they preach. Dislike me if you think I'm rude or obnoxious, but at least I'm consistent.

Comment

I practice what I preach! For Realz! Also, Justice is like a 65 kb file, not mb, my bad. Tiny. Simple. Easy. PacerX made it. Waaaahhhh!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X