No announcement yet.

UT Etiquette: Tips for winning the game and winning other players' gratitude

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not to beat a dead horse, but the example of typing "gg" is, I think, the very essence of in-game etiquette. It's customary, and, I agree, has littel real meaning. However, when you pass someone on the street it is customary to say, "How are ya?", "Good day" or other similar nonsense that has little or no real meaning. It's called manners, and yes, often times when players don't type it they are concidered poor sports. I have noticed that a lot of players don't type it when they loose, only when they win. So, when I win they are claiming that it did not constitute a good game in their opinion. It is a little thing, too be sure, but most things that fall in the catagories of etiquette and manners are. That does not mean they are of little value. We are supposedly living in a "civilized" world. You can't tell that by a lot of behavior in game chats.

Comment

I type gg after every game, even if it sucked, just to be polite. GOW-Justice by GOW PacerX will balance teams between matches, not kill you in the middle of a game. Better than TTF in my opinion, see full release threads for more on that... It a basic thing that Epic should have invented long, long ago. As for the rest of it, try to be polite, but some people are dooshbags. Waah!

Comment

The funny thing is people will sometimes get mad at you if the teams were imbalanced and you say gg. Well, you know what, even if it's pouring rain and hail, I'm still gonna say good day to you. In turn, I always say gg.

Comment

Meh, I guess I'm alone. But, at least I'm consistent. I never type gg simply because it is mostly meaningless and I don't say things without purpose behind my words.

If I enjoyed the game I'm going to say why. If my teammates were exemplary in their teamwork I'll praise them for it. If the other team rocked us with beautiful teamwork I'll praise THEM for it. If the game sucked I'll bite my lip but I'm not going to lie and say "gg" when it was in fact not a good game. Sometimes games just suck and typing "gg" every game ceases to be a statement about the goodness of the game (which is what it means. You're stating that it was in fact a "good game" when it wasn't), and all of a sudden we're lying to be polite. Not every game is going to be good. There are good games and there are crappy, lopsided, spawn-killing, profanity-throwing bad games.

I totally see what you guys mean about being polite and good sports, but actually having a conversation about the game is more courteous than typing two meaningless letters. What shows a person you are interested in getting to know them more: typing "gg" or laughing, joking and discussing the game with them? I actually wish people would stop typing "gg" and really start communicating with each other because that's how friendships are built in UT.

When I made this thread I was talking more about team-related etiquette than I was chat etiquette because we could go on all day long about what we should say at the end of a game but other things like giving up your vehicle to the guy with 5x as many skulls as you is a no-brainer.

Comment

So when someone politely asks you in the street, "how are you?" You say, "Absolutely terrible. Let me explain to you why in gory detail." ??

Comment

Originally posted by bclagge View Post
              So when someone politely asks you in the street, "how are you?" You say, "Absolutely terrible. Let me explain to you why in gory detail." ??
              If I'm having a great day I tell them I am and why.
              If I'm having a horrible day I tell them I'm having a rough day and leave it at that because most people only ask that to fulfill a mindless social ritual, not because they actually give a **** how you're doing. If they actually do give a **** then I explain why I'm having a rough day.

The answer most people expect to hear is "good" but if you don't expect an honest answer you shouldn't ask the question in the first place.

Comment

Since typing 'gg' is just a customary gesture with little real meaning, wny not just assume everybody did type it. No need to look at the actual chat log, it doesn't mean anything anyway. Just be glad everybody is so polite.

Comment

or at least break free of the gg and maybe compliment the other team on kicking so much @55 i usually don't say gg anymore, it's generally something positive, but very ambigous

Comment

Originally posted by bclagge View Post
                    lo, rofl, pmsl, i'm obviously not doing any other those but it was funny, or maybe i should just have written, what a marvelous belly wobbler that was old chap, you have such a spiffing sense of humour.

Originally posted by dickbird View Post
                    Since typing 'gg' is just a customary gesture with little real meaning, wny not just assume everybody did type it. No need to look at the actual chat log, it doesn't mean anything anyway. Just be glad everybody is so polite.
                    so i guess your mates never hear you say 'hi' as thats just a customary gesture and of little meaning then? and they should just assume you have said it anyway

the other problem is is that this game isn't just played by people who speak english, or for that matter understand english, these acronyms have become universal and as such allow for base interaction at the end of games. i'm in the uk but play games against dutch, german, french, russian etc and alot of those don't speak or understand much english so these 'little' things help

Comment

In my opinion, saying 'gg' at the end of a match is the same thing as two tennis players shaking hands at the net after a match. It's just a kind thing to do and you show some respect towards the other player(s), win or lose.

Comment

I'll admit I have a tendancy so say things similar to
                        Demo Guy's "Take it!" at the end of a game, but if everyone seems to care that much about it, I'll try to work on what I say from now on.

Comment

I agree with the points on the initial post.

I know when I started back when the game first came out I was flat out HORRIBLE and tried to do whatever to rack up the most kills/stats. That meant waitin for the tank to respawn after it just got blown up, camping, etc. etc.

This year I find myself kicking a lot of behinds and making crucial, clutch plays in team games such as warfare at the perfect time.

I think it takes a certain level of experience and understanding of the game to make these work.

I'm playing on Russian servers with pretty much the same "lineup" of people who I've played with for years so even though you aren't the best of friends with them, you more or less know who you're playing with and that helps the "chemistry" somewhat.

I'm not the biggest "leader-type" out there, but got no problem letting the other guys know in "semi-nice" terms that I can't be going one-on-ten with the orb in my hand, or that you don't leave the tank on Islander when it's about to blow up so the other team gets it and heals it etc. etc.

However I've gained that level of confidence after playing for some time and picking up "veteran tricks" etc. so I think the sportsmanship part is hardest to understand for those only starting out - I was in that same boat some time ago.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeHunt View Post
                            so i guess your mates never hear you say 'hi' as thats just a customary gesture and of little meaning then? and they should just assume you have said it anyway
                            yeah that's right. I did say 'hi' once, about five years ago, but's it's no longer necessary.

My associates are perfectly understanding about it. Or anyway I find it convenient to assume that they are.

Comment

It's 'gg' when I win and 'worst game ever' when I lose

Comment

Originally posted by The Demon Slick View Post
                                Also, if you complain about uneven teams, and people try to switch up... switch with them! Last night, uneven teams, the other team kept typing how unbalanced the teams were... meantime, playername is requesting a team swap was flying across the screen.... and nobody switched. At least two of our top 4 scorers were trying to switch, but the other team was too busy complaining to switch with us.
                                The problem is that the so called whiners are usually the ones that are the good players on the 'noob' team. Doesn't make sense to switch them with good players from the 'pro' team, the result is the same. Most of the time the 'noobs' on the weak team don't even notice the team swap request and even if they do, they don't know how to switch. The only hope is for the weak team to lose players so that the strong players can switch over.

Comment

Working...
                                X