No announcement yet.

UT Etiquette: Tips for winning the game and winning other players' gratitude

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah well, there's not necessarily a big difference between you telling noobs what to do, and that "other stuff." It kind of depends on how you're saying it.

The tank camping butthead I referred to earlier got me started by issuing general orders around to the effect that we were all supposed to kill blue tank for him, so he could cruise on over and take out their Core on Tank Crossing.

Not that taking out the enemy tank is a bad idea. But when I suggested that he could help take out that tank with his primary fire, he said he didn't want to "waste our tank" doing that.

And I told him, what waste? YOU AREN'T DOING ANYTHING WITH IT IN THE FIRST PLACE.

And for another thing, he refused to cross the bridge unless and until that blue tank had been killed for him.

I mean, guys are fighting like crazy to keep the prime so he can get over there, and he wants to sit there and wait for us to kill the tank too.

Did he think that blue tank was the only thing that might kill him over there? Did he think any team with an ounce of sense wouldn't figure out that they could just come over and kill him right where he was?

He kept yelling at us, telliing us we "didn't understand his strategy."' I told him I understood that if he didn't pull his thumb out we'd probably lose anyway, "strategy" or not.

It was actually a pretty interesting point to talk about. The only thing that made it kind of annoying was, that he was being such an irate ******** about it. And the fact that he was, actually, camping the tank. If he didn't have it, he was sitting at the spawn point, waiting for it. Doing nothing else. I hate that.

I finally just had to steal the tank from him and score 50 points off blue's core. Just to be a vindictive snit.

He claimed it was all thanks to him, because "he killed blue's tank for me."

But I have film of me killing blue's tank with my primary fire, ha ha, just like I told him he should do.

Well I just had to tell you the whole story. Like I said, I can laugh about it. It really was pretty interesting, and I'm sure he's a nice guy. We just a difference of opinion is all.

But he was being pretty rude. And it definitely wasn't just me yelling at him.

Comment

Half the people posting here regularly violate their owns rules when the situation doesn't suit them. It's easy to pontificate rules of excellence, another to practice them when some douche is running your orb to god-knows-where, screwing over your team, respawning, then stealing a vehicle.

I personally cant stand the care bear contingency. Call it out as you see it. If some d-bag is running an orb who shouldn't be; say so. If someone is taking the tank repeatedly and accomplishing nothing; say so. Granted, you don't need to be an UTTER **** about it, but there is NOTHING wrong with saying: personX, don't run the orb, let someone else do it. But if you're going to utterly disregard the other 10 players on your team, do whatever you want and bring the attitude without the skills to back it, then don't be surprised if you get a negative response.

It really works too. If I go after someone who's screwing up a game, I'll usually get the short term result of: increased d-baggery. They're upset at being singled out and called out. Pretty understandable. But long term, they won't do it. I've yet to see a single d-bag set me off and continue to do what they did long-term. No one anywhere in life likes being called out, even if its true. Sure, some people won't like you. If you honestly care about other players perceptions about you, I'd suggest turning off your computer and getting out more. It's the least important thing you'll ever encounter in life.

The idea that if we're all just sweet, say please and bake cookies then rainbows and unicorns will unite and form a great game is utter nonsense. Call it out. That way, at least you're not a hypocrite.

Comment

Hey danimal, do you play under Tainted_Love?

Comment

Negative, way too emo sounding of a name for me to use as an alias.

Comment

I think tainted love is a chick... On topic, you can "call people out" without being a jerk. I also suggest refraining from typing over and over again how your team suxxes, etc... If your team really does suck, there's no need... everyone knows your team sucks, we can see them sucking. If your team isn't that bad, you just sound like a whiny beatch... Also, if you complain about uneven teams, and people try to switch up... switch with them! Last night, uneven teams, the other team kept typing how unbalanced the teams were... meantime, playername is requesting a team swap was flying across the screen.... and nobody switched. At least two of our top 4 scorers were trying to switch, but the other team was too busy complaining to switch with us.

Comment

Originally posted by The Demon Slick View Post
              Also, if you complain about uneven teams, and people try to switch up... switch with them! Last night, uneven teams, the other team kept typing how unbalanced the teams were... meantime, playername is requesting a team swap was flying across the screen.... and nobody switched. At least two of our top 4 scorers were trying to switch, but the other team was too busy complaining to switch with us.
              How unfortunate :-\. Sadly, some people know enough to recognize imbalanced teams, but don't have a clue where the team swap button is or don't read messages.

I've been in similar situations but often my hands are tied, because I will request a team swap, and a good player from the other team is willing to swap, but no one on my team will swap, and while I don't claim to be uber pro at UT I am much, much better than average, so when I'm requesting a team swap I can't typically switch because to do so will put the guy I swap with in the same stupid position I was just in. So, I'm typing to every other inexperienced player on the team requesting that they swap and they don't even know to read the text let alone know where the team swap button is so I'm just screwed haha.

The only solutions I can see for that are team balancing and moderation, neither of which are likely to happen on Epic's servers, to the only "solution" for now is to play your hardest, try to hold your tempter, and request that teams be evened the next match in end-game chat without whining.

The flipside of that is that if you win a stacked match don't be an ******* and brag about it afterward because there's nothing to brag about. Just keep an eye on the roster next time.

Comment

It doesn't take long to type "lol" or "k" when you're in-game. There's nothing wrong with typing short messages in between being fragged and respawning. I don't get why so many people are antisocial when they're playing.

Comment

Originally posted by dickbird View Post
                  And for another thing, he refused to cross the bridge unless and until that blue tank had been killed for him.

I mean, guys are fighting like crazy to keep the prime so he can get over there, and he wants to sit there and wait for us to kill the tank too.

Did he think that blue tank was the only thing that might kill him over there? Did he think any team with an ounce of sense wouldn't figure out that they could just come over and kill him right where he was?
                  He was 50% right tbh. If the enemy tank is high on hp and yours is low then you shouldn't cross. Most people waste the tank on TC by going as soon as the bridge is down no matter what the situation.
                  I won't give away my tacts - but there are few things you should look out for before you cross.

Comment

Originally posted by Euxeus View Post
                    He was 50% right tbh. If the enemy tank is high on hp and yours is low then you shouldn't cross. Most people waste the tank on TC by going as soon as the bridge is down no matter what the situation.
                    I agree with what you say, but that's not exactly the case he made to me. He refused to cross, under any circumstances, unless and until the enemy tank was killed for him. And he didn't want to use his primary fire to help kill it, because he didn't want to "waste our tank."

And yeah, was camping the tank spawn, trying to make sure nobody got the tank but him. The only time I saw him budge from that spot was when somebody else managed to get the tank before him anyway. I hate it when people do that.

Anyway, it was ridiculous to me. He doesn't want to risk the tank? The tank is at risk in the first place. The enemy team is constantly crossing over to kill it, even if you don't move it an inch.

Not using his primary fire? If he doesn't think he stands a decent chance of winning a tank fight, with all the cover those tanks have between them, he shouldn't even be in the tank.

And if he doesn't help kill the other tank, he's greatly increasing the risk the enemy tank will live long enough to score a lot of points off his own core. The tank's primary fire is one of the best weapons against that other tank. Not use it? He's crazy.

But yeah, I could see the point he was straining at. That's why I said the discussion held some interest for me.

But I don't want to hijack this thread any more with that subject.

Comment

Originally posted by H3i53nb3rg View Post
                      It doesn't take long to type "lol" or "k" when you're in-game. There's nothing wrong with typing short messages in between being fragged and respawning. I don't get why so many people are antisocial when they're playing.
                      No. There's nothing wrong with that. And there are the players out there that seem not to know there is or ever use the chat function under any circumstance. You know, a simple "gg" at the end of the match. But, conversely, while you type "lol" or "nice shot", there are douches that will type an insult every time they respawn. Like someone fragging them was something personal and it's a moral imperative to "get the last word in".

Comment

You know how infuriating it is to play with stacked teams.No one likes whiners, but just because someone is asking for teams to be even doesn't mean they're request is unjustified!!!
                        Another thing that annoys me are people who scream TEAMS TEAMS TEAMS whenever their team is down one player, its like they go the entire game running around with their scoreboard open so they can see when the teams are down.
                        Myself, I don't like that rush to type "gg" or "great teamwork", but where the team was totally stacked, or the teams were uneven and nobody switched.

We may be running in circles here ...

Comment

Originally posted by Benfica View Post
                          Myself, I don't like that rush to type "gg" or "great teamwork", but where the team was totally stacked, or the teams were uneven and nobody switched.

We may be running in circles here ...
                          Yeah, I don't type gg. It's like one of those mindless obsessive-compulsive things people do at the end of the game. If it was a good game I type "good game" and recount why I enjoyed it. If it sucked I try to bite my lip or request evening of teams for next match :P

Pinkies out gentlemen! Back to matters of etiquette!

Comment

the whole point of typing 'gg' is general etiquette, you dont just type it cos yu though tthe game was acutually quit good, or cos you won, it like congratulating the other team for winning and playing well to do so. i have seen ALOT of players that will only type that if they won the game themselves, and that smacks of arrogance and a bad looser.
                            team work online is alot harder than in a real team situation, like a clan match. like alot of you have said you dont type much in game, but unless you are using voice over ip that is the only way of communicating, use it wisely.
                            spawn kills, i'll keep this short, very bad manners, particularly when someone sits at a spawn point and just waits for people to appear and spawn kills them. this happens alot to new players who dont know the map well or are learning, and this is one sure fire way of putting them off.
                            also someone mentioned about how funny it is to slate someone about pokemon, or some other douche bag hobby, have a quick think how many people would A) think you a douche for playing an online game, and B) for posting about it in a forum?
                            you are in a post about good manners yet display none.
                            if someone is spam talking or just liking the sound of their own voice (metaphorically speaking that is), ignore them, they will soon get bored.

remember this is a game, dont get wound up especially on pub servers. clan matches are a little different matter but not much.

gg :P

Comment

Originally posted by MikeHunt View Post
                              the whole point of typing 'gg' is general etiquette, you dont just type it cos yu though tthe game was acutually quit good, or cos you won, it like congratulating the other team for winning and playing well to do so. i have seen ALOT of players that will only type that if they won the game themselves, and that smacks of arrogance and a bad looser.
                              team work online is alot harder than in a real team situation, like a clan match. like alot of you have said you dont type much in game, but unless you are using voice over ip that is the only way of communicating, use it wisely.
                              spawn kills, i'll keep this short, very bad manners, particularly when someone sits at a spawn point and just waits for people to appear and spawn kills them. this happens alot to new players who dont know the map well or are learning, and this is one sure fire way of putting them off.
                              also someone mentioned about how funny it is to slate someone about pokemon, or some other douche bag hobby, have a quick think how many people would A) think you a douche for playing an online game, and B) for posting about it in a forum?
                              you are in a post about good manners yet display none.
                              if someone is spam talking or just liking the sound of their own voice (metaphorically speaking that is), ignore them, they will soon get bored.

remember this is a game, dont get wound up especially on pub servers. clan matches are a little different matter but not much.

gg :P
                              I disagree about it being "general etiquette". That insinuates that if you DON'T say "gg" then you're being a poor sport which isn't true at all. Good game has lost most of its meaning because regardless of how horrible a game was people will still type "gg" at the end out of habit. What is more meaningful, encouraging community among players by carrying on a conversation or typing "gg" at the end of every game. It's like "lol". How often do you think people are actually laughing out loud when they type that?

About the Pokemon thing, you're taking that out of context... I never made fun of people who collect Pokemon cards. I have a pretty big collection somewhere in a binder lol. I was simply giving an example of one way to respond to people who ARE poor sports.

You're welcome to take no action if someone is spamming chats but I am a man of action! *stands high on precipice cape flapping in wind, pokemon cards in hand*

GOTTA CATCH 'EM ALL!

Comment

Originally posted by oldkawman1 View Post
                                --> have fun, it's only a game

amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X