No announcement yet.

UT Etiquette: Tips for winning the game and winning other players' gratitude

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UT Etiquette: Tips for winning the game and winning other players' gratitude

I figure if you've gone through the trouble to sign up for these forums you already know a thing or two about the game, but I just wanted to encourage the kind of teamwork which stimulates comradery amongst players. The game has it's problems, but despite it's problems, it's still fun if people are team players.

Many of these things are common courtesy, but aren't usually very common in online games. Lets stimulate a paradigm shift in how we treat each other in UT3. Lets lead by example and hope that the small remaining community chooses to follow.

Because I play Greed most, my examples will be within the context of Greed, but I think these concepts are pretty constant within most gametypes.

1) Switch Teams if They're Uneven

We've all had those days when, despite playing well ourselves, every game is a constant uphill battle because teams are uneven. You know how infuriating it is to play with stacked teams.No one likes whiners, but just because someone is asking for teams to be even doesn't mean they're request is unjustified!!! This game has no team balance built-in so we need to take it upon ourselves to even things up.

In 7v7 Greed I have lost after scoring 91 skulls because my 6 teammates got 0 skulls. The other team's scoreboard was more even (something like 42, 28, 23, 7, 5), but there was no satisfaction on my end (not because we lost but because we lost in an unfair game). And, if I were on the other team, I wouldn't be satisfied at all because I'd know that I won due to an unfair advantage. I hate winning uneven games just as much as I hate losing them.

Lets even this thing up. If someone asks, switch, but even if they don't ask you and you notice teams are uneven be proactive about switching! Nothing is more satisfying than winning against stiff competition. And, I don't know about you, but even when I lose a close game I am still satisfied.

2) Unless it's not to your team's advantage, put others before yourself

It's the golden rule... Treat others as you would want to be treated. Not only do players appreciate this, it's to your tactical advanatage. Be on the lookout for how you can help OTHERS. A good teammate should be able and ready to fluidly switch between offense, defense, and support.

If another guy has 40 skulls and you have a viper, don't offer to tow him, GIVE HIM YOUR FREAKIN VEHICLE! Vehicles are expendible! They will respawn! I once had 31 skulls on Suspense and two guys fly up to me in a Fury and a Raptor wanting to tow me. I said, "One hit will kill me, give me your vehicle please!" A minute later they were still hovering there unwilling to give up their vehicles. I ended up having to hide for another 2 minutes waiting for a Manta to spawn. At any time someone could've killed me and taken those skulls. Look at the bigger picture: Towing someone is tactically stupid versus just giving them your vehicle! Be willing to give them up on the spot at any time. Your teammates will appreciate it and maybe when you have the mother lode of skulls they'll return the favor.

Does your teammate have the flag or lots of skulls? Cover him instead of running off where you're not needed. That way he has a better of surviving and if he dies you can pick up where he left off. It's so rare for teammates to pick up dropped flags before the enemy in CTF, but I consider this a sign of a good team.

3) Ask yourself, "Could I be more useful doing something else?"

If you're camping in your base providing "defense" then you are usually dead weight! There are exceptions in certain gametypes, but consider where you will be MOST useful, because if the other team has everyone fluidly transitioning between offense and defense and you're camping in the base, seeing one guy every few minutes, then the only thing you're providing your team is a disadvantage.

Keep an eye on what the other team is doing. If you're losing, take a moment to think and ask yourself why. Are you the reason your team is losing?

4) Communicate

Call 'em out!!! Did you just get killed by a guy with 50 skulls in a manta mid-map right side? Tell your team "50 incoming, right side!" Did you just HAVE 50 skulls and get killed on the way to capturing them? Tell your team their location so they can get over there and pick up the peices.

Type it, yell it, communicate however you can, but keep the lines of communication open.

5) If you're not playing, leave.

If you're not going to play then be considerate enough to spectate or disconnect. Unfortunately a lot of servers don't have kick voting so when players idle the team that they're on just had to deal with one less man because there is no way to kick them.

Have a tip of your own? Disagree with me? Chime in

Don't forget:

HEAL VEHICLES

Friendly tanks need healing. It's a heavy support vehicle that benefits everyone. Take 5 seconds out of your day and throw some link at it. Someone's going by in a Manta or a Scorpion? Heal him a little as he passes. Reach out and touch somebody! They may do the same for you next time.

Good thread Botox! A+

Comment

Don't forget, if you're a noob, leave the server! J/K... just don't pick up the flag or the power ups... save them for me.

Comment

Etiquette in a game that features ultra violence, Gore, Foul Language, and lots and lots of explosions? that's funny!

Oh, wait, I actually have one, NO CAMPING!!!! Nobody likes getting fraged by someone who always has the Udamage, Berserk, Invulnerable, etc. and never leaves it!

Comment

Originally posted by LeaderX View Post
          Don't forget, if you're a noob, leave the server! J/K... just don't pick up the flag or the power ups... save them for me.
          LoL! I didnt realise that my advices may sound just like that.
          "Save jumpboots to flag carrier."
          "Take orb only if know how to use it."
          Telling everybody how to play could anger new players, even if advices are 'right'. I gotta be careful.

Comment

I had a similiar experience on greed, sporting 50+ skulls and noone would give me a vehicle... but they didn't offer a tow either. I got attacked by a Manta, and he bailed out of it when it got low on health, then I got him, and while I was healing it a teammate stole it. Grrrr! I try to always be polite and helpful, but I understand completely the frustration that causes some of the text flaming. However, BOTOX is absolutely correct that it would be better for all of us to try to help/explain more. Sure some people won't listen, but most I think will if you speak to them respectfully. Not "WTF noob don't take boots" but instead "Hey playername, if you can try to leave the boots for the orb carrier, it helps our team".... I know, it's a lot going on in game and we don't always have time, but hey we can try!

Comment

Excellent idea for a post, IMHO.

I think the "serious" community in UT 3 needs to remember 2 things:
              1st) Be kind to your friendly neighborhood noobs. Help them. We need them. I will never understand or agree with getting irritated or irate with new players. I guess it's fine if you want to only play with a small elite group of the same ten players every day. Personally, I want to see as many people playing UT 3 as possible. Young, old, male, female, black, white, noobish or "pro". The more the merrier.
              2nd) Nothing gets me to leave a server faster than some idiot who types in "***got" every time he's killed and then "noob" eveytime he kills someone. This type of player should be met with extreme derision from the community of better, more socially skilled players. Even if this slightly disagrees with point #1. We don't need that type of new player.

Comment

Originally posted by H3xx99 View Post
                Etiquette in a game that features ultra violence, Gore, Foul Language, and lots and lots of explosions? that's funny!

Oh, wait, I actually have one, NO CAMPING!!!! Nobody likes getting fraged by someone who always has the Udamage, Berserk, Invulnerable, etc. and never leaves it!
                There is an easy solution to this problem. Get the power-ups before they do. All it means is that they know the map and are playing the map better than you are.

Comment

Nice thread!
                  Originally posted by H3xx99
                  Hmm ......

Comment

Originally posted by H3xx99 View Post
                    Team oriented behavior in a team game - how strange!!!

DD and Berserk last 30 seconds. Respawn time is approximately 90 seconds. That leaves a full 60 seconds for you to kill them when they don't have the powerup. Camping (that kind of camping) is a fail strategy in UT - that is if there's anyone with an ounce of skill on the server.

Comment

Originally posted by Pitch~Black View Post
                      Excellent idea for a post, IMHO.

2nd) Nothing gets me to leave a server faster than some idiot who types in "***got" every time he's killed and then "noob" eveytime he kills someone. This type of player should be met with extreme derision from the community of better, more socially skilled players. Even if this slightly disagrees with point #1. We don't need that type of new player.
                      Well, when you take away their ability to anger you it can really disarm them (vs. responding in kind). My buddy and I were playing on the Epic Greed #1 one night and a Grade A Douchebag joined named JUST_THE_TIP. All it took was me offering to change teams in a game that was strongly in my team's advantage to cause him to stop playing and let loose a torrent of insults. After a few minutes of streaming profanity I asked him if he had a level 100 Charizard and questioned the strength of his Pokemon card collection. Within a few minutes most of us were cracking up and he left soon after.

Pogs, Chiapets, Furbies, Tickle-Me-Elmo.. Take your pick. Challenge their manliness with your retarded fad of choice and it's kind of hard not end up laughing.

Comment

Don't forget the common usage of the word etiquette (just being nice). I know sometimes I flip out and type a "rage comment," but we shouldn't forget that we are playing a game with other real people, most of whom deserve our respect (not the disrespectful though...).

Comment

1) If you see someone Healing a damaged vehicle they just exited DON'T STEAL IT!!!!!!!!! thats an extremely annoying thing. While playing Warfare one night on the Epic server i was healing my damaged manta, the second its health became full, some guy stole it from, then it dawned on me that he was waiting for me to finsih healing it before he stole it! if someone is healing there damaged vehicle run over and help them! I don't even like the link gun so i might as well put its ammo to good use rather than just not use it at all.

2) Sometimes you get a bunch of new players and a couple of people who have been playing for awhile on the same team. everytime the team loses the more expirenced players always say things like "MY TEAMS SUCKS THATS WHY WE LOST!" or "EVERYBODY ON THIS TEAM SUCKS AND SHOULD QUIT!!!" not to mention that all through the match the older players were spamming insults at their team. Instead of insulting your team, just play the game, more than once i've noticed these insulters camping in the back corners of their base just so they could insult their team mates and be safe from the enemy.

3)Don't grab the orb if you know your not a very good player.When i first started playing and still now, i don't grab the orb because i know i'll probably get shot,Die, and lose the orb. I let more expiereenced players take the orb.also along the same lines, there is soething called "taking one for the Team" if the enemy orb is right next to your node and the enemy is attacking the node in full force then destroy the orb!!, alot of people won't destroy the orb because often times it means they will die.along with the orb thing, Giving up your vehicle to someone with alot of skulls and letting the flag/orb/skull carrier take the pickups like armor

4) i've noticed some people are reluctant to send their viper or scorpion into a self destruct at an enemy node or Heavy vehicle. I'm assuming this is becasue they don't want to give up their preciousvehicel, BUT SERIOUSLY! you can destroy and enemy hellbender or severly damage anenemy tank or node with the self destruct. And don't take a vehicle such as that necris stealth thing(forgot the name) and drive it over to the enmy base just so you can run people over with it. Use vehicles for their purpose, if you take the stealh thingy then lay some of the deployables it has at chokepoints and key positions.

sorry for all the typos but i really don't feel like correcting my spelling.

Comment

Originally posted by B0T0X View Post
                            Well, when you take away their ability to anger you it can really disarm them (vs. responding in kind). My buddy and I were playing on the Epic Greed #1 one night and a Grade A Douchebag joined named JUST_THE_TIP. All it took was me offering to change teams in a game that was strongly in my team's advantage to cause him to stop playing and let loose a torrent of insults. After a few minutes of streaming profanity I asked him if he had a level 100 Charizard and questioned the strength of his Pokemon card collection. Within a few minutes most of us were cracking up and he left soon after.

Pogs, Chiapets, Furbies, Tickle-Me-Elmo.. Take your pick. Challenge their manliness with your retarded fad of choice and it's kind of hard not end up laughing.
                            That's awesome and hilarious. Unfortunately, I don't think that it solves anything, though. They won't learn; or they'll learn to be more creative about it. The fact that the idiocy is more often than not ignored is really the problem. There is a reason for kick-voting, and it's not just for botters. Players will want to know why someone wants them kicked. Then they can be told and hopefully they will learn. In order for this kind of behavior to become unexceptable, it has to be treated as unexceptable.

BTW, just to be clear, this kind of behavior doesn't anger me in the slightest. It annoys me. I'm a full grown adult. If I wanted to be around that kind of juvenile behavior I'd hang out in a kindergarten playground and get carted away for being the creepy guy that hangs out in kindergarten playgrounds. :P

Comment

Originally posted by Pitch~Black View Post
                              That's awesome and hilarious. Unfortunately, I don't think that it solves anything, though. They won't learn; or they'll learn to be more creative about it. The fact that the idiocy is more often than not ignored is really the problem. There is a reason for kick-voting, and it's not just for botters. Players will want to know why someone wants them kicked. Then they can be told and hopefully they will learn. In order for this kind of behavior to become unexceptable, it has to be treated as unexceptable.

BTW, just to be clear, this kind of behavior doesn't anger me in the slightest. It annoys me. I'm a full grown adult. If I wanted to be around that kind of juvenile behavior I'd hang out in a kindergarten playground and get carted away for being the creepy guy that hangs out in kindergarten playgrounds. :P
                              Hey, I'm 22 I'm an adult too but we can't fix screwed up people even if we want to and servers don't always have kickvote. You train people how to treat you based on your response so if you respond in kind they learn that it's working and continue.

There are only so many things you can do when you've got a jerk on a no-kick server spamming insults.

I choose Pokemon :P

Comment

Working...
                              X