Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Request: Please no more vCTF-Suspense only servers!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i got some crazy idea how about some costum maps
    so pll can vote that
    and learn there are some other maps then only stock maps
    duh pll dont make maps for noting

Comment

I rented a server of my own and ran custom maps, people didn't take to it because they needed to download them.

Comment

Originally posted by aka_sova View Post
        lol seems like you are suspense-lover. For how long are u playing? And every day you come home, enter UT3 and play Suspense on this server cuz "you always have good pings there"? That's a bit exaggerated. In this case we demand "Necropolis only" and "Kargo only" servers, as i find those 2 maps better, than Suspense.

Originally posted by bclagge View Post
        Newer players sometimes like playing the same map over and over again. It's easier to become good at a single map than it is to become good in general, and it gives nubs a chance to feel good about their abilities. Just look at 2k4, with all the Torlan only servers.

Try and populate the other servers.

For roughly two years I was a CTF-Facing Worlds (UT) only player, for the very reason Bclagge just mentioned...And it worked, I became a better player.
        To ask to remove populated servers (Regardless if it's running Suspense only or many maps) in a game that's already lean on players is just plain crazy.
        If vCTF-Suspense is what gets players playing...then so be it..We need all the players we can get, instead complaining about the maps, encourage players (in a friendly way) to try other maps, if they like vCTF-Suspense then they'll be blown away by other maps....Check out vCTF-Hanging Gardens (My favorite map for the week)...Pure eye candy and plays fairly well.
        Or vCTF-Gold Digger, it plays like Suspense but it's actually enjoyable.

Comment

suspense only servers are fine. if you dont like them, then go out and join other servers. you must be pretty simple-minded if you think destroying them will result in more players on random-map servers. laughable open your eyes: public gaming is gasping and there are only a very few working "islands" and some of them are the suspense only multiplay ****s. somehow its also a bit cheap asking for support in this thread on your own clan forum to falsify the impression what ppl want.

Comment

Originally posted by Calum View Post
            I rented a server of my own and ran custom maps, people didn't take to it because they needed to download them.
            i no that server and i was there too with plugh all the time

Comment

Originally posted by VegasKill View Post
              1 Epic server with map cycle of the official maps and no mutators would be great.
              Agree
              +1

Comment

Also,
                I played Suspense on Epic multiplay server , two nights ago for more than 2 hours , just one game!
                ..... and finally my team lost 0:1

Comment

I just entered some suspense only server to ask ppl what they think about it. I asked 3 times, also after the match finished, whether they like this server or not. there were 12 guys in there, but only 2 answered (may be others don't read chat or don't know the "T" button, which is very common on suspense-only servers), and those 2 answers were negative. I think suspense-only servers are just training grounds for n00bs, and nothing else. Making all maps on them will cause anger from n00bs, but good players will be in favor of it, hm...

That's dilemma, that has to be solved

Comment

Don't worry stranded is going to be the new suspense-like map.
                    Many people vote for it because you can: spawnkill,camp and snipe ... like suspense. Personnaly i don't understand why people like this map it has bad gameplay. (easy to camp)

Anyway, besides of this:
                    I request to add 1 or two custom maps on official servers (maybe CBP maps?) because it will become boring to play always the same maps. The titan pack gave a new breath but i begin to become bored with stranded map being played every 2-3 maps now ...

I know there are servers with custom maps but:
                    • the ones with players are american servers -> bad ping for european players
                    • the european ones are always empty

There aren't enough players playing custom maps online i guess because:
                    -people dunno there are ones (maybe?)
                    -they are not patient to wait for about 2 minutes to dl map (considering having a 2Mb broadband connection and 30MB ut3 map)
                    -redirection server is really too slow (takes ages to dl map)

So why not add a few (1 or 2) custom maps with filesize<30-35MB to Epic/Multiplay servers that are often full of players.

There are about 50 VCTF custom maps and that would be really bad i guess not to try some of them online considering the amount of time it was needed (the level designers) to make them.

Comment

Originally posted by Blutwurst View Post
                      suspense only servers are fine. if you dont like them, then go out and join other servers. you must be pretty simple-minded if you think destroying them will result in more players on random-map servers. laughable open your eyes: public gaming is gasping and there are only a very few working "islands" and some of them are the suspense only multiplay ****s. somehow its also a bit cheap asking for support in this thread on your own clan forum to falsify the impression what ppl want.
                      I think you should open your eyes and at least read my post.
                      If I would have the choice between some servers, I would not care about Suspense only servers.
                      There could even be 10 Suspense servers if I would have 2 or 3 other good servers with all maps.
                      Many players like me have the choice between Suspense and nothing.
                      I cannot find any good servers, because all good servers with players are the Suspense only servers.

As said: I bet most of them aren't really Suspense fans, they play it because they want vCTF and maybe they do not care that much about the map.

Comment

you guys are dreaming. the playfield for clan members is on ladders or cups and not public gaming but hey, thats your problem: there aint enough clans to build up some interesting cups and now you try to **** around with public servers and try to change something which has never been changed successfully for more than 10 years of online gaming. deck-16, torlan and now its suspense. perhaps u need to kiss arcanes or blizzards feet a bit more and they will try to bring in their influence as multiplay admins but so be it. its the same story with custom maps and if u think changing these populated servers to get more players on YOUR favorite maps then your dead wrong. suspense is a fine map for public gaming, perhaps not in clanwars but its not your job to decide what these occasional players have to play just to fit them in your specific world. we should be happy that there are some servers which are populated more or less round the clock and not try to kill them. thats the reality.

Comment

In my case and I think many people are like that too, it is because of the demo. Even before I bought the game I was familiar with the map and I always preferred it rather than other vCFT maps. But should you have a choice to pick some other map - definitely. Sooner or later you will eventually get bored with it, and that's one of the reasons I rarely play vCFT. Although I would vote for it most of the time it would be nice to play some other map on a server that actually has players on it without going to Sandstorm, Kargo, Necropolis... only servers and waiting for them to fill up.

Comment

In the past we trialed necropolis only servers - they didn't work out.

The truth is most people want to play suspense only, which is unfortunate, but you can always get a game of vCTF on EPIC VCTF #1, this has all 9 vCTF maps.

But, i will speak to blizzard_wolf about perhaps adding every map to Multiplay #2, as it will be titan free.

I will let you know what we decide to do

Comment

Okay, maybe a Necropolis, Kargo, Sandstorm etc. only server is not good.
                              The maps aren't as known as Suspense (because of the demo).
                              The only efficient "- only servers" are the Suspense servers, but as said, they take too many players away.

EPIC VCTF #1 - isn't this a 32 players server?
                              One of the Official Epic vCTF servers (US) is a 24 players server, which is more suitable for this game mode in my (and others) opinion.
                              I remember that I played several times on an EU Epic vCTF server and it was too much.
                              32 players, Titan - not with me, sorry.

I have the feeling the US servers are better than the EU servers anyway.
                              There are more servers and you have more choice, compared to EU servers
                              Same as for Warfare and other game modes.
                              Currently, a lot of players wish an Epic server with 24 players - like it was months ago.
                              But that's another story.

Okay, it would be nice if anything will happen.
                              However, even if there are some other nice servers:
                              Until these Suspense only servers will exist, the other servers could not get popular - that's the main problem I think.

Greets

Comment

One of the main problems with running a custom server is the fact that the default client cache size is 300mb, thats about 6 maps averaging 50mb. The question "why am I downloading this again?!" constantly arose, but it is way too complicated for the casual user to edit. Back in UT2004, when broadband was slower, we still had to wait 2 minutes to download a map, but there was no restriction on cache sizes and the maps were a lot smaller, and once you had the map it was kept forever.

We (fijut, Pop and I) tried very hard to set up a custom server last year, providing map packs, a forum, and a fast redirect... but it just wasn't working out. The most players we got was 8-10 on a good day, whilst the Suspense only servers were cram packed, constantly. Why anyone would want to play the same map over and over again is beyond my comprehension, we'd even put Suspense on the server to pull punters in, then vote a custom map, and they'd all leave! Maybe the current crop of newcomers to UT expect instant gratification and don't want to broaden their horizons when it comes to playing custom maps, especially when they have to wait a whole 2 minutes (!) to download.

I now only play on Hedsteem, it's all custom all the time, maps, vehicles and weapons. It's a constantly evolving environment, we have a team of mappers and coders of varying skills and abilities, and we also have a large test server for testing the content we create before it goes 'live'. Hedsteem is NOT a clan, we are a community, and anyone and everyone is welcome to play with us, even join us on Ventrilo and have a damned good laugh. The pings from the UK are surprisingly good, the server is in Washington, and pings about 110-120 from here in very few hops, but there's players on there from Canada, California, Brazil etc who all ping the same or higher as they have more hops.

Over the last few months, the idea of a European Hedsteem has been mentioned quite a few times, it would mirror the US server exactly and would probably be somewhere central to europe. Show enough interest, join hedsteem.com and let us know!

Comment

Working...
                                X