So.. why can't I host?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So.. why can't I host?

Hey all, long time UT fan here, since the 99 days.

I cannot seem to host UT3 at all. I can get the server up, and it says "joinable" to my friend, and he hits join -- and it says "connecting..." for about 45 seconds, and then "connection failed!" for no reason at all.

Now before someone yells at me to open ports and stuff, my router is set to DMZ with a properly set up static-IP adress. Any idea why they still can't connect?

PS: Had my friend try to host too with all the ports open (DMZ) and a static IP set up, and I get the exact same error.

PPS: I can host fine if I unplug the router and go direct wired, but I share my internet and so does he, so no can do.

PPP(LOL)S: Linksys WRT54GS router.

I'm not sure how to help you do it this way, but I have a work around.
    Download Hamachi it is a program that lets you set up a vpn.
    https://secure.logmein.com/products/...pn.asp?lang=en
    Have him download it too.
    Make a network then have him join it.
    Then all I believe you guys need to do is host a lan game then have him connect to your ip assigned to you by hamachi.

Comment

you need to forward the ports, not only open them.

Comment

Search this forum and the Troubleshooting forum for "full cone" routers. Your LinkSys is not full cone. None of the consumer LinkSys routers are.

Opening ports won't work. Neither will forwarding them. Getting a full cone router will.

Comment

Originally posted by {DvT}JonahHex View Post
          Search this forum and the Troubleshooting forum for "full cone" routers. Your LinkSys is not full cone. None of the consumer LinkSys routers are.

Opening ports won't work. Neither will forwarding them. Getting a full cone router will.
          I've been able to host a game with a Linksys WRT54G2 with of firmware version of Firmware Version: 1.0.02. I've never had 4 people in one game though so I don't know if there are connection difficulties.

Comment

Originally posted by Tame View Post
            Now before someone yells at me to open ports and stuff, my router is set to DMZ with a properly set up static-IP adress. Any idea why they still can't connect?

PPS: I can host fine if I unplug the router and go direct wired, but I share my internet and so does he, so no can do.

PPP(LOL)S: Linksys WRT54GS router.
            Opening ports does not tell the router where to forward anything. You need to setup your router to forward certain ports to your server. The router assigns, if your using DHCP, (or you need to manually assign) a different address to each box connected to it. Say the router IP you see is 192.168.10.1, then it assigns 92.168.10.101 to your game box, 92.168.10.103 to your workstation, and 92.168.10.102 to the server. These are internal numbers, those outside your network see only the IP number assigned to your cable modem or broadband converter. The router is then set up to forward the correct ports to the proper internal IP, in this case, the ports 7777, 6500, and 13000 are forwarded to 92.168.10.102, which is the internal address of the server. That is forwarding those ports on your router to your ut3 server.

Comment

Originally posted by {DvT}JonahHex View Post

Google search of "full cone" router turns up a result that is over $350.

That is rather ridiculous for a $30 game, I think. However, thank the rest of you for the help. It's really a shame that I can host literally everything but UT3 on my router when I properly set up the static IP. (Neverwinter Nights, Left 4 Dead, UT2k3\4, etc.)

I will continue to enjoy the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Tame View Post
                Google search of "full cone" router turns up a result that is over $350.

I will continue to enjoy the game.
                Sometimes before you can make a router setup work, you have to reset it to it's defaults and start from there. Same deal if it just stops working for no reason. Most have a reset button that sets everything to defaults. Something to try if you have not as yet. May or may not be the fix. Also, have you disabled the windows firewall? I think you have to do that to host behind a router.

I have a cheap DLink router, the EBR-2310 works fine for a dedicated server. Server works fine, shows up in the server browser and is joinable. Oh, and by the way I only paid $25 for it, either mwave or newegg, cannot remember which.

Comment

Working...
                X