UT3 vs UT2k4 for competitive play?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Just throwing this in here, ut99 is also still alive and kicking. MLUT just started its 20th season of CTF, and clanbase is still alive as ever for the euros.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    UT2K4 competitive community died just after UT3 release, like what happened with UT2003 when UT2004 was released. Unfortunately UT3 didn't make it for a long time in the competitive scene(when i mean competitive scene i mean cash tournaments, LAN events and so on), had some tournaments and then faded out, mainly because of lacking-features out of the box. Right now I think it's fair enough to say that UT3 is more competitive because its just the latest Unreal Series, and some months (or 1yr already) there was truly high competition in UT3. I think its better to support UT3 at this time cuz it has much more chances of getting in the competitive circuit again because its a very 'new' game and has insane graphics, which is great to attract sponsors for example. For that we need also some kind of collaboration from Epic and hire the many talentous people there are still left in the ut community, like faust the creator of UTComp. If UT3 had:

UTV
    Good demoplayback
    Implemented UTComp or some kind of official support from epic or even hiring faust, Lotus, etc.
    "Minor" things like: weapon throw binding in menu, etc
    Some kind of launch-tournament along with these fixes, and some promotional stuff aswell.

It would for sure reborn, I know a lot of people that are switching to quakelive, but if you ask them if they would come back to UT if there was competition and some kind of improvement and interest from epic itself, their answer would be totally "YES". This needs to be made before they totally lose their hope in their favourite game and switch to quakelive or other game (even tho loads already gave up). Thats why I dont get tired of saying, Epic, look at quakelive numbers, it's a competitive environment with harmony with the casual gamer aswell. Afterall, competitive players aren't a minority anymore, are we?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Obbeskrutt View Post
    Simple question to the Unreal community; let's say I wanna aim high in competitive tournaments and such in the Unreal franchise, what game would be worth focusing on?

UT2k4 or UT3?
    UT3 seems to lack a steady community, and I've yet to hear any serious competitive tournament being held... Unlike UT99 and 2k4, UT3 seems to be a casual game for consoles rather than a serious FPS game made for tournament play on a serious level.

But what about UT2k4? Age is starting to get the best of it, and the competitive UT2k4 scene seems to be fading as well. My first thought would be that players would "upgrade" to UT3, but that seemed to be wrong as well...

Unreal Tournament have not been on display at WCG since 2004, and UT3 doesn't seem to change that. Is there a serious UT3 scene at all?

maybe checkout clanbase as the spring cup is currently running, where you can find the duel, 2v2 tdm, 4v4 tdm, 2v2 ictf and 5v5 ictf competition.
    besides, there is a ctf hosted cup going on, and CB has several ut3 ladders for different gametypes.

moreover, ESL will now kick off its 1o1 Spring Cup (signups are still open until sunday).
    so atm i'd say UT3 has a larger competitive scene than 2k4.

and if you still want more info check out unrealnorth as it announces new cups for ut2k4 and ut3

Leave a comment:

• replied
    That's a shame, seeing Epic having a bad history of supporting their games in a competitive fashion (unlike ID Software and Blizzard).

Sure, UT3 can be fun, but it feels more like a benchmark application than the serious esport game it's trying to be.
    A game never gets bigger than the community playing it, and it feels like UT3 never pleased the crowd enough to set the foundation to a longlasting entry in the FPS pool.
    Hell, even Halo3 having a more active mplay scene than UT2k4 and UT3 combined, and that's quite sad tbh.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    There are competitive Warfare clans in UT3, but afaik there is no real competitive official governing body... fragged nation has ladders for most gametypes, and Unreal North (Europe) is having a duel tournament, but there isn't that much of a competetive scene.... you'll never get money for it or anything. Play for fun! But watch out, the game has no anti-cheat. (Ssssshhhhh..... they'll close your thread if we talk about that)

Leave a comment:

• started a topic UT3 vs UT2k4 for competitive play?

UT3 vs UT2k4 for competitive play?

Simple question to the Unreal community; let's say I wanna aim high in competitive tournaments and such in the Unreal franchise, what game would be worth focusing on?

UT2k4 or UT3?
    UT3 seems to lack a steady community, and I've yet to hear any serious competitive tournament being held... Unlike UT99 and 2k4, UT3 seems to be a casual game for consoles rather than a serious FPS game made for tournament play on a serious level.

But what about UT2k4? Age is starting to get the best of it, and the competitive UT2k4 scene seems to be fading as well. My first thought would be that players would "upgrade" to UT3, but that seemed to be wrong as well...

Unreal Tournament have not been on display at WCG since 2004, and UT3 doesn't seem to change that. Is there a serious UT3 scene at all?
Working...
X