Nothing big, but things are happening.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=NzEzOQ

...since I imagine that the notice of mailing list software change will
    spark a (well deserved) round of complaints--after all, I have been
    largely absent from this list despite the cries for updates--I just
    wanted to drop a note and say that the UT3 linux and mac work is still
    ongoing. Largely we're just optimizing and fixing annoying bugs at the
    moment.

No release date at the moment. Yes, I know we're already 16 months late.
    I'm sorry, we'll get you the game as soon as we can.

Thanks for your eternal patience,
    --ryan.
    Hard to imagine why Epic was unwilling to provide such a simple statement, but thankfully Ryan Gordon stepped up to the plate.

Wow, that's great. I really thought work had stopped. I'm very happy to hear it hasn't. Linux and Mac users, your day is coming!

Hey, I like your new sig. That was a really interesting article. Here it is for anyone who's interested: Why I hate Microsoft

Comment

Note that update was on March 12th. It's May 5th.

As was pointed out not too long ago, MacSoft/Destineer Studios have removed their pages about publishing UT3 for the Mac, so I wouldn't expect it anytime soon.

I've long held the belief that Epic canceled the official port but gave Ryan Gordon permission to continue work on it if he wanted. So he's probably been working on it in his spare time away from the jobs that actually pay him.

Comment

[SARCASM]
        Well obviously Linux users would never BUY a game when they can 'share' it, so why bother releasing it.
        [/SARCASM]

I really suspect something along those lines went into the thinking. Just not enough real money to be worth the support/etc.

Comment

So when it's all said and done, the UT3 online population should go up by quite a bit right?

Comment

Originally posted by Ga-Reef View Post
            So when it's all said and done, the UT3 online population should go up by quite a bit right?
            Do a good number of people play the 360 version?

Comment

Originally posted by nfleming View Post
              [SARCASM]
              Well obviously Linux users would never BUY a game when they can 'share' it, so why bother releasing it.
              [/SARCASM]

I really suspect something along those lines went into the thinking. Just not enough real money to be worth the support/etc.

Wrong, people who are using Linux will spend the money that was left from not buying Windows on UT3.

Comment

Those news are old as hell and everyone interested in the client most likely already saw them.

As i read the thread title i thought that there were real new news, but you crushed my hopes with your unprofessional manner of creating threads.

Comment

The fact is many linux users already bought the game (like me) on the promise that if it wasn't included in the box it would still come shortly after. Epic's actions if they do cancel are downright unethical based on the fact they did promise to have the client.

If they do not ever have anything released they have done nothing less than lie. If they do release something, they.. can claim that the timelines were not within their ability to control, which I'd grant since this game wasn't that successful for them.

But lying to people isn't a way to ensure loyalty. If they don't release a client by the end of this year I suspect that any remaining customers they had who will hold out for them will be gone. I know I'm not considering buying from them again anytime soon.

Comment

Originally posted by xanas3712 View Post
                    But lying to people isn't a way to ensure loyalty. If they don't release a client by the end of this year I suspect that any remaining customers they had who will hold out for them will be gone. I know I'm not considering buying from them again anytime soon.
                    This sums it up perfectly.

When the Linux client is released don't suddenly expect an influx of players, anyone who wanted the game for Linux has:

A) already purchased the game and expected the client on release (not 16+ months later), and has most likely moved on (if only to boycott Epic).

B) disgusted that they promised something and did not deliver, and will not purchase an Epic product anymore.

Hell, I have played this game more than 95% of the people out there, and I may never purchase another Epic game. I was rather disappointed with the release of a BETA game, it was disgusting. It may have been beyond their control, but in the end it doesn't matter who's to blame... lost sales... are lost.

Comment

wow, this one isn't closed yet?

Comment

Working...
                      X