Anyone tried an ATI 4890 card?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone tried an ATI 4890 card?

Thinking about getting one of those and giving my 8800GT to my brother.

It would be either that or a GTX 275. The 4890 seems to benchmark a little better at the resolutions I'd be more like to use, and has lower power requirements. According to Anandtech.

They don't have bench charts for UT3 though.

well my 4870 performs well (pretty much always 60fps with vsync on) in 1920x1200 @ max settings, so i think the 4890 will do just fine.

Comment

I would wait till August, otherwise get a 4850 with 1gb memory. Its much cheaper, and i get pretty much 60fps solid on 1680x1050 with that thing. UT3 needs a powerfull processor, anything above 4850 or 260 would be overkill..

Comment

Just got one after my 8800gt died.The game keeps freezing n most of the times i need a reboot. With the 8800gt the game was running MUCH better.

I tried other games n all was great.Apart from ut im very satisfied with the card.Great performance , low temps and its not that noisy as they say.

Check the thread at my signature btw.Others had problems too with ati cards n i hope it will be fixed.

Comment

Happened to me often with 4850 so I'm back on Nvidia now. Though 90% of my crashes were Deck, especially portal area.

Comment

I'm waiting for ATI 5870.

Comment

Do not get ATI if you are making maps, they produce much more artifacts in editor compared to nvidia.

Comment

Originally posted by Nawrot View Post
                Do not get ATI if you are making maps, they produce much more artifacts in editor compared to nvidia.
                ??

I use workstations with both brands of cards.
                ATI has always been just as good as NVidia, and ATI's screenshot quality is better.

Comment

I keep getting freezes randomly when i die or when i enter a vehicle(at times when the reddemer explodes n you go back to normal 1st person view ). If you just care for ut3 buy nvidia. If you play other games(new ones), ati is great regarding money/performance.

Comment

Thanks. Don't know what I'd end up doing. Basically I'm thinking of helping my brother replace his card, which might be bad. He's not real willing to break the comp down/swap things around to find out though.

Guess I'm sort of leaning back towards Nvidia at the moment, just because I've had good luck with the 8800GT here. Probably need to get bigger power supply in the bargain, oh well.

Comment

Originally posted by DrUnKenSTeiN View Post
                      Just got one after my 8800gt died.The game keeps freezing n most of the times i need a reboot. With the 8800gt the game was running MUCH better.

I tried other games n all was great.Apart from ut im very satisfied with the card.Great performance , low temps and its not that noisy as they say.

Check the thread at my signature btw.Others had problems too with ati cards n i hope it will be fixed.
                      You wouldnt believe, my 8800gt died also, 2 days ago, and i replaced it with ati4870HD. I must say that stories about better ATI image are true, since i was fanboy of nvidia from 2002 till now, and i can clearly see better color quality, less jaggines(even with AA and AF off), better gamma.
                      Right now i am realy,realy satisfied with this card, it gives me 60fps, with AA4x and AF 8X even on Warfare in areas where fps would dip down to 35 without AA and AF on my old card. However, i noticed that some places of maps still have framerate less than 50, leading me to cocnlusion that my E65500 processor@ 3.20ghz, needs a replacement.
                      PS.
                      (or it is just a bad UT3 optimization on some spots?)

Comment

Im having gamelockups in Deck(very mild near teleporter), and also East Node in Avalanche.

Those problems are probably server related, since they dont occure instant action

Comment

Working...
                        X