Can you help me understand the 'Titan'?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you help me understand the 'Titan'?

I am completely new to UT3.. I only bought it because it was cheap and I new the Titan pack was coming and was curious.

I managed to get a few TDM games in over the past few days (before the Titan Pack was released in the UK), and they were normal.. Just like any other TDM game. But last night, I played two games and in both of them people changed into a BIG charactor who I assume is the Titan.. In the 2nd game, people were also controlling 3 legged tripod machines.... Since I hadn't seen this before, I assumed that this was the 'Titan' mode.. But the curious thing was that at this point I hadn't downloaded the 'Titan Pack'.. So how was I able to play these games when I didn't even have the Titan pack installed?

Anyhow.. After reading up on the Titan pack, I can see that the Titan feature can be used in any game mode, so clearly this is what I was playing.. But i have a bunch of questions.

1. Can you really play the Titan (And the bigger Tripods) on ALL maps? Surely some are too small to support this? Some of the corridors I have seen in some levels are surely too low for a Titan to even fit???

2. Is it possible to play a game which doesn't have the Titan 'feature'.. Just an old fashioned classic TDM?

3. If so, how can you tell if a game you are going to join is going to use the 'Titan' feature?

If anyone could answer this, I would be hugely grateful as frankly I am lost right now and I have more questions than answers...

Thanks in advance

Jon

greetings.. erm a quick attempt to answer.. Titans can be used in any mode (pretty much except instagib games i think), but the tripod you speak of must be the "Darkwalker" a vehicle &as such cannot be used everywhere.. however the Titan transformation has a second phase called Behemoth.. almost as big as the Darkwalker and incredibly powerful..
    it is most definitely possible to play without Titan also.. although on ps3 the mutator details for servers aren't always correct.. &people don't necessarily advertise titan or non-titan games..
    as soon as you're in-game you'll see the Titan bar in the bottom right of hud if the Titan mutator is in use..

Comment

Originally posted by Fudo Myo-o View Post
      greetings.. erm a quick attempt to answer.. Titans can be used in any mode (pretty much except instagib games i think), but the tripod you speak of must be the "Darkwalker" a vehicle &as such cannot be used everywhere.. however the Titan transformation has a second phase called Behemoth.. almost as big as the Darkwalker and incredibly powerful..
      it is most definitely possible to play without Titan also.. although on ps3 the mutator details for servers aren't always correct.. &people don't necessarily advertise titan or non-titan games..
      as soon as you're in-game you'll see the Titan bar in the bottom right of hud if the Titan mutator is in use..
      Ahha.. I see.. So the 'Tripod' isn't the 2nd phase Titan (Behemoth).. I just assumed they were.

So, the 'Titan' feature simply introduced the 'Titan' and 'Behemoth' (not the Darkwalker)?

I noticed that in Titan based games you had the new power bar on the HUD.. But I assume you are saying that unless someone gives the 'room' a name which includes "Titan" there is no way of knowing?

Thank for your replies.. Now that I am up and running, I am sure I will have a ton of questions, so expect to see more posts from me in the coming days

Thanks

Jon

Comment

Originally posted by jweaver View Post
        So, the 'Titan' feature simply introduced the 'Titan' and 'Behemoth' (not the Darkwalker)?
        I
        yes the Darkwalker was a "stock" vehicle..
        are you on ps3 or PC? i'm on ps3 so could help with that but for PC i'm quite useless at least compared to the many clever sorts on this forum..
        hope to see you in battle soon..
        ed "I noticed that in Titan based games you had the new power bar on the HUD.. But I asume you are saying that unless someone gives the 'room' a name which includes "Titan" there is no way of knowing?" as far as i know this is the case for ps3, although surely there's a way.. &PC i assume works ok..

Comment

Bersy has some great video guides to the new Titan pack

here:-
          http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=663504

Comment

In the serv0r brows0r, there's a button that lets you change between seeing the play0rs who've joined and the mutat0rs running on that particular serv0r. Why they chose to show only one of these at a time is a mystery to me, but then again, this is "unreal"

Anyway, if the mutat0r list contains "Titan", then you'll be able to tranform. This is the safe way to tell, the serv0r name is not.

Comment

Originally posted by demoniac View Post
              In the serv0r brows0r, there's a button that lets you change between seeing the play0rs who've joined and the mutat0rs running on that particular serv0r. Why they chose to show only one of these at a time is a mystery to me, but then again, this is "unreal"

Anyway, if the mutat0r list contains "Titan", then you'll be able to tranform. This is the safe way to tell, the serv0r name is not.
              this hasn't worked for me with regard to Titan.. i can view the mutators on each server but i've not yet seen Titan.. even for games i joined & definitely were using Titan.. :[

Comment

This might be a silly question, but whats a "Mutator"?

Comment

good question really.. i'm unsure the exact definition but in UT games there are normally a selection of mutators like low gravity.. (lowers gravity yep) , speed freak (increases game speed), instagib, which is just crazy &many more.. mutators are your friend so to speak www.ut3mod.com has a small selection of user-made mutators which might be of interest..

Comment

Originally posted by Fudo Myo-o View Post
                    good question really.. i'm unsure the exact definition but in UT games there are normally a selection of mutators like low gravity.. (lowers gravity yep) , speed freak (increases game speed), instagib, which is just crazy &many more.. mutators are your friend so to speak www.ut3mod.com has a small selection of user-made mutators which might be of interest..
                    Thanks for that.. I need to do some more playing.. Its interesting to read a few post back that on the server select screen, there is a way to get more details.. Perhaps I have missed that and I will look tonight...

Thanks all... Look forwards to playing with you on-line soon

Jon

Comment

A mutator is a little piece of code that alters the games' rules.

This code is executed at the beginning of a map (before the match starts, so you don't see it) and for example looks up all weapon-pickups on the map and replaces them with other weapons. It can also change -like already mentioned- the default gravity by changing the gravity-value.
                      If somebody codes a completely new weapon then also a mutator is needed to for example replace the Bio-Rifle with this new weapon.
                      There are endless possibilites from exploding ammunition-pickups to people growing a huge pen0r the more kills they get (this really existed for a previous UT, in UT3 you grow a big head in one of the official mutators). And of course there is the Titan mutator, which alters the gamerules in that way that people can become the Titan/Behemoth.

A few mutators come with the game and a lot are user-made. Most of the latter can be used on the PS3 as well.

Comment

Just kill alot of people, press R after a while, kill more people, press R again and things should be fine

Welcome to UT3!

Comment

OK.. So what happens if someone 'hosts' a game using a "Mutator" that they have installed.... Are you told waht you need to install (And more importantly, where to get it) to join the game?

Jon

Comment

If you join a server that's running a mutator that you don't have, the game will load the mutator from the server before you start playing.

Same thing with custom maps.

The loaded mutator or map will be put in the game's cache folder in an encoded form. Not really installed in the straightforward way, but it will work as long as it stays in the cache.

You can download them later and install them in the normal way if you want to mess with them on your own. Or decode them out of the cache with a custom utility you can get, made for that purpose.

Comment

I should point out that I am talking PS3, so is the same thing true..

Last night I tried to get into a game and was told that I needed to download 'content' before I can play.. It turned out that it was a new map in the Titan pack, so this is clearly why... But it didn't try and get the map automatically.. But then again, I wouldn't expect it too.

So you are saying that if someone is hosting a game using a custom map, I can simply join and the game will get the necessary 'mods' to let me join?

Comment

Working...
                              X