Lego remote-controlled Hellbender model

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lego remote-controlled Hellbender model

I happen to be a big fan of the UT series, as well as an AFOL (Adult Fan of Lego).I particularly enjoy building large, complex and fully functional models of various vehicles. I have finally decided to join my two hobbies and build a functional model of my favourite UT3's vehicle:

[shot]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Sariel/Hellbender/1.jpg[/shot]

Links:
    Full set of photos
    Video of the model in action

The model is certainly not 100% accurate, as some shapes had to be approximated due to lack of the Lego pieces of the required shape and size. But - it's fully functional. It comes fitted with a 4x4 drive (with separate differential for each axle) and a full, complex suspension (independent in the front, and live axle in the back). There are 4 motors inside, two of which control drive and steering. The third motor rotates front & rear turret synchronously, while the fourth one controls the pneumatic rear differential lock. The lock mechanism consists of an internal compressor and an autovalve, which switches the lock using a small pneumatic cylinder at the back of the rear axle. The model is also fitted with working headlights and rear lights, plus custom stickers re-created closely after the original Hellbender's painting (well, the "BUMP!" on the front bumper is my own addition ).

[shot]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Sariel/Hellbender/3.jpg[/shot]

Model's total length is 37 cm, and the weight is 2.35 kg. It's fully remote-controlled, except for the rear cannon which can be elevated manually (just like in game, I believe). It took approximately 2 weeks to build, mainly thanks to a lot of experience I've had with similar vehicles. It was build entirely with original Lego parts, including even the pneumatic hoses.
    Please consider this model my a tribute to the great work the Epic crew put into UT3 - I really appreciate it, and enjoy your product a lot

IMPORTANT NOTE: THIS IS NOT AN OFFICIAL LEGO SET, JUST A CUSTOM CONSTRUCTION NOT AUTHORIZED BY THE LEGO COMPANY IN ANY WAY. THE LEGO COMPANY DOES NOT PRODUCE OR SUPPORT MILITARY-THEMED MODELS.

More about the model: http://sariel.pl/2009/03/hellbender/

Small FAQ:
    Q: Is this a set I can buy?
    A: No, I don't sell my models. They would be really expensive anyway.
    Q: Are you a Lego worker?
    A: No, I'm an amateur.
    Q: Are you going to build other UT vehicles?
    A: No such plans at the moment.
    Q: What is going to happen to this model?
    A: It's going to be taken apart, and the parts will be re-used in some next thing I build.
    Q: How is it powered?
    A: Electrically, from two battery boxes on the sides. The pneumatics is powered by a motor-driven internal compressor.
    Q: How is it controlled?
    A: Via an IR remote control system developed by Lego.
    Q: How was it modeled?
    A: I took as many shots of the original vehicle as possible, then drew some blueprints out of the shots. With the blueprints, I was able to calculate the model's dimensions accordingly to the size of the Lego wheels I've chosen to use.
    Q: How many Lego parts were used for that?
    A: No idea really, but my guess would be somewhere between 2000 and 5000.
    Q: Where can I see other stuff you've built?
    A: Here: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Sariel or here: http://sariel.pl/.

Wow in my childhood I spend every free hour to play with Legos
    This looks awesome!

Comment

Nice, but it seems a shame to take the thing apart.

Suspension doesn't look as bouncy as the real thing

Comment

Originally posted by Bersy View Post
        Suspension doesn't look as bouncy as the real thing
        Sure, but there are no Lego shock absorbers strong enough to make a 2.3 kg heavy thing THAT bouncy

Comment

Haha that's the sh*t man!! I wants one so i can chase my cat around the house and shoot her with shock balls!!

Comment

That is absolutely amazing! I love it!

Comment

O.o a hellbender that doesnt bounce off the road?

Comment

was that from a generic lego set? or a special UT3 one?

shame it doesn't have working skymines & twin beams

i also bet it is slow like in game & slows down when bouncing(even on flat road)

Comment

Originally posted by |Grayfox| View Post
                  was that from a generic lego set? or a special UT3 one?

shame it doesn't have working skymines & twin beams
                  There are no special UT Lego sets, as there is no license agreement between Lego and Epic (shame, oh shame). The model was built out of a pool of parts from many sets combined, plus some loose parts ordered specifically. There is no single Lego set that would allow you to build that, sorry.
                  Yeah, I'm ashamed about the skymines too. Somebody give me some really small plasma emitter and I'll give it a try

Comment

Omg do want !!!!! Do a leviathan one !!! :d

Comment

Originally posted by TevlonPL View Post
                      There are no special UT Lego sets, as there is no license agreement between Lego and Epic (shame, oh shame). The model was built out of a pool of parts from many sets combined, plus some loose parts ordered specifically. There is no single Lego set that would allow you to build that, sorry.
                      Yeah, I'm ashamed about the skymines too. Somebody give me some really small plasma emitter and I'll give it a try

bubble mix, pipes & air?

that can make the cores at least(i hope it is easy)

i just want one of those

as for twin beams a laser or high intensity LED?

Comment

Umm, you know fluids and Lego don't pair up well, especially when there's so much electricity around... But I imagine how funny would that look - a Hellie Bellie shooting bubbles

Comment

i was thinking have it in a small container of some sorts, but i never made anything out of legos

well nothing that nice

only thing i made that i can remember was a puggun

Comment

Community demands more models!!! I'd like to check out how would you solve the problem of scavenger's spherical shape Necris vehicles may be more difficult to build 'couse they are less "solid" than Axon.

Comment

Originally posted by Zenitive View Post
                              Community demands more models!!!
                              Yeah, I have been already suggested a Leviathan and a GoW2 Centaur tank. I'd love it if Epic published some nice blueprints

Originally posted by Zenitive View Post
                              I'd like to check out how would you solve the problem of scavenger's spherical shape
                              There are some spherical Lego pieces available, but the problem is how to propel it, and where to include the mechanics (not to mention the battery boxes). But I did something a bit similar while ago: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc8AvqU-0pk

Comment

Working...
                              X