Why Steam?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why Steam?

I tried to find reasons on the forum, but why would I go to Steam, other than achievements?

automatic game updates / patches, better friend features, it stores your key so you can figure out what it is if your game ever asks you for it.. you can download the game to any pc you are logged in from so you don't need to have your discs. enough?

Comment

Personally while I have a Steam account I dislike Steam and had a bad experience on both free weekends so I won't ever be registering my retail copy with Steam.

Pros:
      -You can download and play the game from any computer
      -You'll no longer have to worry about cds and cd keys because you just have to log in to your account and download the game
      -The game will be automatically patched.

Cons:
      -You have to be online to launch the game
      -If Steams servers are under stress it can cause problems even just launching the game
      -If your Steam account gets banned you will no longer be able to play not just this game, but any game you've ever bought on Steam

Touching up on the last point, VAC bans are only supposed to be handed out for cheating, but many people have been banned for seemingly no reason with no explanation and bans are irreversible. Also people were banned for registering The Orange Box with Steam because retailers were selling them overseas versions without telling them, or because they bought the game when they were overseas.

Comment

You forget:

Cons:
        Bandwidth Overhead: Steam is an online ap, and a rather large one at that. You may notice an average latency increase just by using it.

Processing Overhead: Steam is a large background app, it runs even while you playing. If your computer can barely handle UT3, or any other steam game, at your current settings, running steam may cause serious framerate issues.

Computer Startup: Steam is yet another app that must be started up after every time you boot your computer, if you want to play your games. It tends to take between 10 seconds and a minute depending on your internet and processing speeds. Annoying by itself, crippling if it is one of many.

Distractions: For every additional way a "friend" can contact you during a game, you have one additional way you can be distracted at a critical moment. This con is balanced by it's corresponding pro, and should be weighed appropriately.

Comment

At last a thread with the disadvantages

Comment

i like Xfire better than steam

Steam is just usless to me

Comment

Originally posted by Sotanaht View Post
              Processing Overhead: Steam is a large background app, it runs even while you playing. If your computer can barely handle UT3, or any other steam game, at your current settings, running steam may cause serious framerate issues.
              All by itself, this is a deal breaker for me. The fact that my system can handle it and UT3 w/o any problems is irrelevant.

Comment

I use Steam strictly for good sales deals on older games and convenience in not having to make a trip to the store and pay tax to have a disk. Otherwise, for me...there are too many disadvantages to use Steam for games you're more serious about (or that cost more than $10-$15)...most have already been mentioned here...the most serious problems are complete account bans (which ive never experienced personally), starting games in offline mode when steam is down (impossible to figure out unless youre well prepared ahead of time for it)..and oh yes, the dreaded space eating steam directory problem on your hard drive because all steam games must be installed into the steam directory, which means you cannot spread out your games over different drives/partitions without a hassle.

As far as friends on steam, make sure before you leap that you already have lots of friends who currently play on steam because you wont make any new ones there because theres never anyone in the chat rooms for any of the steam games...its like a ghost town, heh.

Like i said, its a good place to get a cheap bargain from time to time on older games, and save the wait time from shipping an online order from gogamer.com...but there really wont be any other advantage for most players when it comes to the Steam platform.

Comment

Ok thanks for all the input, makes up a nice pro-con summary. I was hoping for more online players. Very few of those on the public servers.

Comment

I hate STEAM, if you buy a game and hate it, the shop GAME lets you return it, but with STEAM, you buy a game and hate it, the serial is forever linked with your STEAM a/c so tough *****! Boooo! down with STEAM lol, long live the revolution

Comment

Originally posted by |Grayfox| View Post
                      i like Xfire better than steam

Steam is just usless to me
                      That's a very odd comparision, since Xfire is only about friends list and
                      Steam is selling products and providing updates/patches for you.

And you have a offline-mode with Steam, so you don't need to be online
                      to play your games. You have to be online for UT3 though, but if you have
                      a retail version or a version bought via Steam, it doesn't matter, that's UT3's fault

Comment

Originally posted by BigShott View Post
                        As far as friends on steam, make sure before you leap that you already have lots of friends who currently play on steam because you wont make any new ones there because theres never anyone in the chat rooms for any of the steam games...its like a ghost town, heh.
                        You must of either been a real loner or played games nobody else would touch. I've had Steam for years and have about 50 friends who use steam and made around 300 more through the Valve/mods/third-party games. Also I`m getting tierd of people bashing steam, yes it has its problems but name me one computer program that doesn't. If you don't want to use steam wether you feel it has too many problems that its not worth it then don't but don't ruin it for the people who haven't or barely used it yet.

Originally posted by Somnambulist View Post
                        I hate STEAM, if you buy a game and hate it, the shop GAME lets you return it, but with STEAM, you buy a game and hate it, the serial is forever linked with your STEAM a/c so tough *****! Boooo! down with STEAM lol, long live the revolution
                        Wow your a real smart one, besides anti-virus/spyware or pc optimizer software companies, there aren't too many, if any, digital distributers that allow you to return the software i.e Steam, Direct-2-Drive. Try doing a little research before you start knocking a product next time.

Comment

I have said this before- I hated steam for years because of the hassle to fire up HL2 when it came out. It just seemed stupid and I couldn't see any use for it.
                          When I found myself alone in a new apartment with a brand new PC after leaving my wife it became VERY clear. ALL those games I still wanted to play with one password! I never would have gone through the hassle of trying to get back the discs, install, and patch all those games.

Recently I thought I would like to play some Opposing Force. I clicked on it, it downloaded in seconds, and automatically applied my Half-Life settings. In less than a minute I was playing the game!

If Steam costs me frames I have not noticed. As good or better since I steamified my retail copy of UT3. If Steam was dragging everyone's system down NOBODY on this forum would defend it.

Comment

well, im really not here to bash...i mean i was only inputing my opinion for the poster since he was asking for thoughts on the matter.

In regards to Steam's Chat rooms...while I admit I dont play counterstrike where there are 200,000 players online at any given time of day...i AM talking about games that most gamers know about...such as Arma, GTR Evolution, Race07, Red Orchestra...and of course UT3 (among several others)...and on UT3 for example If I leave the community chat room up for a few hours there will be perhaps 1 person (2 at the most) that straggles in but leaves within 5 seconds without saying a word. It's always a ghost town on all the cummunity chat rooms i look at these days and ive tried this regularly during 6pm-1am ET (-4 GMT) and have seen similar results with ALL my Steam loaded games.

Perhaps there's another way of chatting in-game (i wouldnt really know as i havent used that overlay feature much) where there are alot more players, if there is please let me know as making new online friends my own age was one of the reasons i tried Steam in the first place years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by |grayfox| View Post
                              i like xfire better than steam

steam is just usless to me
                              +1

x fire do updates too and is way far more simple to use and to install; i dont need more to be fully happy...dunno why but steam seem to "intrusive " to me....the big bro eye !

Comment

Working...
                              X