Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

People without high-speed Internet... are screwed?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

People without high-speed Internet... are screwed?

I paid for the black version yesterday, and then found out that they weren't shipping it to me, I have to download it. I can't get anything but dialup here. Are there any other options for us poor slow-speed folk?

leave it on overnight. Should've figured out the terms of the service you were using (Steam right?) Steam gives you download access only. If you want a hard copy you'll have to burn a backup with the Steam backup feature, which I recommend doing as soon as you finish the download so you won't have to do it again in case of getting a new computer or something.

Comment

8 gb at 56k modem speed? Overnight?

I just don't get it, why can't they box it and send it to me?

Comment

Should take 40 hours, approximately the time it would take them to ship it?

Comment

40 hours straight? Did you calculate that?

Comment

Where did you buy it from? Steam?

Going by the download speed I had when I had a 56k (2 KB/s) it will take you 48 days, 13 hours, 5 minutes and 4 seconds to download the 8GBs.

Comment

Thought everyone knew what steam was about by now.
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_(content_delivery)

Anyways your best bet when on a 56k is to find someone else with the retail version on dvd then just to use your key.
              You can then add it *** a non steam game if you want to use the community features (achievements will be disabled then but you'll still get awards)
              Or you could put it in your steam folder and let it download the 300+ meg.
              That's if you already got the patc4 + Titan Pack.

Comment

Yup. I should have known better. But I don't think you can buy the black version anywhere else. Does anyone know... is the black version just the 2.0 patch and the titan files? I have a retail version of UT3 that has no connection to Steam (thank you god).

Comment

I'm pretty sure the black version doesn't have anything new, just that the titan pack gets downloaded with it. The Steam version of UT3 gets achievements though.

Comment

I've been through some of this with Half-Life. How did Steam get UT3?

So.. if I can get the 2.0 patch and the titan pack.. if I install them, will they put the new maps from Titan into the single-player game map sequence? I haven't figured out how to do anything with bonus pack maps aside from playing the new maps individually in the quick start option.

Comment

Originally posted by Masklin View Post
                      Should take 40 hours, approximately the time it would take them to ship it?
                      According To this site

56 Kbps = 535:42:51
                      File Size: 9 GB (If not more)
                      Overhead: 50%

535 Hours
                      42 Minutes
                      51 Seconds

Not quite 40 Hours.

Comment

Well, thanks for the help.

Comment

Steam sells many different games, not just Valve products. I also have the boxed version of UT3 but I binded it to my Steam account which you could've done, you still get all the updates that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Tealhawke View Post
                            Well, thanks for the help.
                            Contact Steam support and ask them to cancel your order, they are friendly. Next time, read careful when you buy from the Internet especially when you are still on a last century connection.

Comment

time it will take to download UT3 off steam
                              56k: 15 Days 23 Hours 28 Minutes 45.2 Seconds
                              256k: 3 Days 11 Hours 53 Minutes 9.89 Seconds
                              512K: 1 Days 17 Hours 56 Minutes 34.94 Seconds
                              1,500k: 13 Hours 54 Minutes 30.86 Seconds

if you can install steam on a friends computer who may have DSL

& put steamapps\common\Unreal torunament 3\ in the steam folder, then start the download after you log in

before you leave copy that folder again & put it on you're system

so you will have more of it

before you leave your friends copy

Comment

Working...
                              X