I miss Assault

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I miss Assault

Assault was some of the most fun I had with UT99. All of the maps were classic... like Frigate, Rook, Mazon and Overlord. It was just an awesome feeling pulling off an objective, then rushing to the next one before the defense could get there.

It's disappointing that Epic never brought it back to UTIII. It would have been amazing if it returned in the Titan pack. I don't know why this mode is looked down upon.

I think you'll be seeing some more assault styled maps soon.

Comment

I disagree, you just can't push AS style maps into Warfare or any other game mode without it still being that game mode.

Why Epic abandoned AS has always been a mystery. I might have played UT3 if it were there. The titan pack almost got me to try it again when the patch install bombed, meh.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyRice View Post
        Assault was some of the most fun I had with UT99. All of the maps were classic... like Frigate, Rook, Mazon and Overlord. It was just an awesome feeling pulling off an objective, then rushing to the next one before the defense could get there.

It's disappointing that Epic never brought it back to UTIII. It would have been amazing if it returned in the Titan pack. I don't know why this mode is looked down upon.
        i 100% agree i was so hooked on assault on UT99 it is like one of the most classic gametypes ever. Overlord was like extremely epic and i cant even imagine how great it would look if they re did it. i can see the enemy team storming out of the boat on the beach and just as they thought they had survived the snipers income the MORTER ........ SPLAT

EPIC if you bring bak assualt i will kneel at your feet

Comment

It really shouldn't be hard to make Assault style maps in Warfare. WAR-Infiltration provided proof of concept more than a year ago. It's just that the few Warfare mappers out there are either trying to make 2K4 ONS type maps, or the kind of maps that are known to work well in Warfare already.

All you have to do is make a map where one team has to achieve a series of objectives that, once accomplished, destroys the other team's core. You then switch sides and give the other team the amount of time it took the first team. Boom, you've got an assault map.

The key to making Assault in Warfare is to make a map where the defending side doesn't have to push forward. All they have to do is hold off the attacking team for the time limit. The pseudo-Assault maps, like Islander, fail because the defending side has to push forward, take the prime node, and attack the core.

Comment

Hm... I think Assault was either loved or hated. I couldn't stand it personally. I know others that played it very often. I often wonder how popular it was when compared to other modes. I always loved domination and thought bombing run had great potential and would rather have those brought back before Assault was brought back, but they're dead too.

I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing... I like that the game is moving on to new modes (Greed) and adaptations of old ones (War). I can understand how you miss Assault though. I really really loved Domination in UT99 and Double Domination in UT2k4 was probably one of the least popular modes if not the least popular one. If you go on UT2k4's server menu now it shows a grand total of two Double Domination servers. One with a ping of almost 200 and another that is apparently dead or something. It's not even in UT3 of course. I'm sure some guy will make a domination mod for UT3, but you and I know that a grand total of 10 people will probably ever play it.

You never know man. They could bring it back for UT4. There are only so many variations a game can go through. Heck, they might bring bombing run or domination back someday. Our kids aren't going to know anything about UT99 so modes like that will be totally new to them.

Comment

Originally posted by B0T0X View Post
              [...] I really really loved Domination in UT99 and Double Domination in UT2k4 was probably one of the least popular modes if not the least popular one. If you go on UT2k4's server menu now it shows a grand total of two Double Domination servers. One with a ping of almost 200 and another that is apparently dead or something. It's not even in UT3 of course. I'm sure some guy will make a domination mod for UT3, but you and I know that a grand total of 10 people will probably ever play it.[...]
              UT3Dom: http://ut3dom.xantaz.net/news.php

Comment

Originally posted by MoonBlood View Post
                Yeah, I figured a mod for it either existed or would exist soon but that doesn't mean people actually play it. A quick look at the forum confirms that the community is virtually dead.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonBlood View Post
                  It really shouldn't be hard to make Assault style maps in Warfare. WAR-Infiltration provided proof of concept more than a year ago. It's just that the few Warfare mappers out there are either trying to make 2K4 ONS type maps, or the kind of maps that are known to work well in Warfare already.

All you have to do is make a map where one team has to achieve a series of objectives that, once accomplished, destroys the other team's core. You then switch sides and give the other team the amount of time it took the first team. Boom, you've got an assault map.

The key to making Assault in Warfare is to make a map where the defending side doesn't have to push forward. All they have to do is hold off the attacking team for the time limit. The pseudo-Assault maps, like Islander, fail because the defending side has to push forward, take the prime node, and attack the core.
                  Yeah, it might not be difficult but how many people would want to spend the time to do that? And how good would it be really? So far I haven't seen anything come close to UT99 Assault's map quality. Like B0T0X said, it might exist but how many people would know about it and play it? I always prefer official maps and modes over mods since everybody has it and is more aware of it. Just imagine if the titan pack was a mod created and released by a user, would you see this rush of people jumping back on UTIII to try it out?

If they only brought back the mode and just the UT99 maps I would be fine with that.

Comment

Originally posted by ViperGrendal View Post
                    I disagree, you just can't push AS style maps into Warfare or any other game mode without it still being that game mode.

Why Epic abandoned AS has always been a mystery. I might have played UT3 if it were there. The titan pack almost got me to try it again when the patch install bombed, meh.
                    Agree 100%

Comment

I think Epic realizes how popular this feature is...didn't someone mention they ALMOST brought it back with the Titan pack at one point? If they decide to do one last expansion down the road I'd be shocked if Assault wasn't part of it.

Comment

Working...
                      X